• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a suggestion:

Museum of Product Counterfeiting

Any others? coffee1.gif

Can't wait to see the wifebeater exhibit.

Others? How about the Great Wall of Rice - the only man-made food structure visible from Pluto.

Inevitably pressure of tourism will lead to more and more ersatz versions of Thai history and culture. It began decades ago with Khan Tok dinners, the capture for display of wild animals and Padaung women, to cite but two examples. In the coming years look forward to theme parks galore where, with minimum-wage Isaan workers - or better still, those despised Rohingans - dressed as extinct native wildlife, you will be able to make your way to a show depicting key moments in Thai history, for example about when the square-headed one won the war on drugs.

Plenty to look forward to.

Societies sell their soul for the dollar and particularly for the tourism dollar. Will these 'man-made' (read 'artificial') attractions faithfully reflect Thailand. Or will they continue to degrade Thai identity, cultural tradition and natural values? Or does nobody in decision-making positions give a hoot?

• Like 1

And what kind of Man made site they want to add ? more shopping malls ? a Disneyworld park ?

Could be a new competition... send in your suggestions, and the most ridiculous will be forwarded to TAT for serious consideration..

• Like 1

So why did they demolish Suan Lum Night Bazar then and also playing dangerous games with the Chatuchak weekend market? Those are are the things my folks like(d).

Those of my folks that came for beaches and jungle are long gone by now anyway.

Yes i agree too. Suan Lum night bazaar was a great idea and getting very popular when they shut it down and handed over the land to Central group who now plan another shopping mall cum hotel in that land.

• Like 1

Is that a joke article? Thais already don't know what tourists want and the rare times Thais dedicate a little area for a park, they immediately start to cover it with cement and commemoration statues. If Thais want to know what farang want, they should ask farang. I mean real questions, not the typical Thai questions like; Do you like Thai food? Do you like Thai temples? Every farang is obligated to say 'yes' to such questions.

Yes, that's right. Just bulldoze more of the few remaining forests and 'concrete-up' another handful of the few remaining clean beaches to make way for even more "man-made attractions", because 24 million tourists a year are definitely still not nearly enough for a country the size of Thailand.

Also don't forget to raise entrance fees to national parks for tourists another 1,000%. Remember: All tourists are rich and thus deserve to be fleeced!

• Like 1

About 17 years ago, I was in KL, Malaysia for a day and read a newspaper article. Then-MP Mahathir was proposing building a large meandering tropical park through central KL, and get this: IT WOULD BE ENTIRELY ARTIFICIAL. That's right, all plastic and rubber, including flowers, trees, vines. Perhaps that's the type of man-made attraction which is being considered by our sage Thai planners. Except TAT would require any project to relate to their most important icons: deluxe resorts and GOLF. Nature be damned.

Edited by boomerangutang

The world has BASE jumping: Building, Antennae, Span, Earth

Thailand could change that to add Porch, and call it: BASEP

(inspired by RubbaJohnny post #26)

But really folks, if Thais want to decimate what little is left of their natural landscape, and build ever-more concrete structures, who are we to bleat about it? If they want to destroy their terrain, let them do so. It's their country. No matter that most of the wild animals were here centuries before people were, wild animals cease to exist here (The Chinese played a part in their extinction), so animals don't matter anymore (sorry, except your pet chihuahua). All that matters now, is people and amassing money.

True Story: a Thai couple went as tourists to visit eastern India. As part of the attractions, they were able to view some one horned rhino in wild habitat. The Thai lady silently wept. Her husband and the guide asked why she was weeping. She said it was because Thailand used to have similar wild rhinos, but they've been gone a long time.

Bingo halls that what the country needs, I see Thailand as the Bingo Hub of Asia.

They already have the floods at their disposal as well, so come and see the floods, watch your luggage sail away, watch local Mensa members struggle with sand bags ah ho!

Thailand has so much natural wonders and attractions - why does it need more man-made ones? I wonder which idiot came up with this idea. Just develop the natural attractions - SUSTAINABLY!

And while I'm at it, quote: "... Thailand should have new tourist attractions in preparation for the country’s transport infrastructure development projects."

That means Thailand should be the hub of man-made marvels to support the country's status as the hub of transportation. A hub with a hub in a hub... hmm.

• Like 1

Thailand has so much natural wonders and attractions - why does it need more man-made ones? I wonder which idiot came up with this idea. Just develop the natural attractions - SUSTAINABLY!

And while I'm at it, quote: "... Thailand should have new tourist attractions in preparation for the country’s transport infrastructure development projects."

That means Thailand should be the hub of man-made marvels to support the country's status as the hub of transportation. A hub with a hub in a hub... hmm.

At the moment the main attraction is hump, not hub. sad.png

Huahin now has 2 floating markets - where Thai never plied their trade on boats, nobody lives there and no Thai has any cultural or historic attachment to these sites as traditional floating markets. At least Damnoen Saduak and Amphawa were once based on real market communities - even if the tourism aspect has overshadowed that.

Why 2 new floating markets in Huahin you may wonder?

The promoters of the first one had a falling out - so one group went off in a huff and built a competing "attraction" across the road.

Is that a joke article? Thais already don't know what tourists want and the rare times Thais dedicate a little area for a park, they immediately start to cover it with cement and commemoration statues. If Thais want to know what farang want, they should ask farang. I mean real questions, not the typical Thai questions like; Do you like Thai food? Do you like Thai temples? Every farang is obligated to say 'yes' to such questions.

Most of the tourists in Thailand are not farangs, most come from Malaysia, China, Japan and other Asian countries, as well as Russia. So asking German or English people what they want/like is not going to solve their problem.

But you are correct that they should rely on surveys and analysis, rather then on suggestions by some politicians who usually have no clue what they are talking about.

• Like 1

A good attraction would be a big theater with a "broadway style" Thai Muppet Show.

The grumpy TV members would naturally have an important role in the show giggle.gif

Statler+and+Waldorf+bench.jpg

add to the cast the Mps..

I think we already have that. It's called "parliament".

But how about a large open habitat, which we stock with the likes of Banharn and Chavalit. They could roam there completely unrestricted and we'll call it... well, "Jurassic Park", of course.

A "Thaksinarium" or "Shinawatra Valhalla" also springs to mind.

And the "Memorial Hall of Thai-Montenegro Brotherhood" likewise has potential to become a huge tourist magnet. Free entrance for all 12 Montenegrins who visit Thailand each year.

Finally, there also could be a permanent exhibition titled "Best Floods That Will Never Happen Again According To Government Promises". Every ticket accompanied by a complimentary pair of wellies. Allegedly you you won't ever need them, but hey, it's a freebie, and tourists appreciate that!

Edited by Misterwhisper