Can you live on 40,000 Baht/month

utapaortnab

Tutsi - the Pisco I'd drink would rip my head off so gave it up for the local wine. Don't remember what the name was now.

Editorial Policy??? Man, when I was on vacation, keeping up with the local goings-on was definetly secondary. Besides, we were in Conception, a bucholic town by the sea where fishing and vino drinking were 'bout all I got into.

The ensalada da mixta (Portuguese spelling) was OK but in general, Chileano food was not all that remarkable - better in general than Brazilian from what I had. The seafood anyhow...

hi,

I think 40000 BHT/month is more than enough. A lot of you guys do not live in thailand. you live in farangland so you need as much money as you need back home. i believe you can have a good thai with, not a wife who is with you for your money. the think is that your wifes, sorry guys but it's the truth, are usually bar girls so all they want is your money. i have a girlfriend, she is a teacher and she doesn't cost me anything!!! believe it or not. so guys if you want to see Thailand don't stay in pattaya, phuket or bkk.

so, if your wife is an ex-bar girl, you visit nana, walking street, etc every night you need much more than 40000 BHT but if you live in thailand it is more than enough.

i make about 35000 BHT/month and i don't have any problems to save some money.

regrads,

Depending what you expect from Thailand:

For an average life: Nothing special, but far away from the poverty line.....

Baht 40.000,- /month are more than enough, if you are a couple like we are. European man and Japanese wife, both 52 years old, children grown up and not living with us anymore.

Around Baht 25.000,- should do it, if there are no unexpected expenses.

As foreigner you need only to avoid, which might cost you a bundle of money, because you are a foreigner and because you like to contact foreigners....international expensive medical treatment with foreign doctors, international school managed by foreign institutions, international law offices, international real estate brokers and so on.

Always: Check out for the locals, compare prices.....

What really costs you money in Thailand, and where you can save a lot:

1- You have to buy your own condominium. Rent is somehow expensive. Especially at places, where foreigners are living.

2- Do not buy your own car. Just buy a motorcycle.

3- Do not waste money for expensive restaurants. Buy what you need in a supermarket. Make it comfortable in your own home.

4- Stay with one wife and do not waste money for bargirls.

5- Learn a bit the language, talk with the locals a lot to learn how to avoid the typical foreigner rip-off.

6- Keep your passport/visa according to Thai laws....overstay, visa-run....that all costs money.

I think, these are some important points. By my view... Other people might have another opinion and other suggestions....

Regards, Johann