Woman killed outside Capitol Hill after trying to ram gate of White House

webfact

Woman Killed Outside Capitol Hill After Trying To Ram Gate Of White House

210.jpg

Terror gripped the nation's capital this afternoon after a woman with her one-year-old in the back seat rammed her car through a security fence at the White House and then raced toward Capitol Hill before she was gunned down by Secret Service agents and Capitol Police officers.

USA. – October 3,2013; The bizarre incident put the White House and Capitol Hill on lock-down as officers swarmed the scene with assault rifles and hundreds of staffers and tourists fled in terror or took shelter in buildings at the political heart of Washington D.C.

Multiple news outlets are reporting the woman was Miriam Carey, a 34-year-old dental hygienist from Stamford, Connecticut. She was not armed, but repeatedly rammed law enforcement officers and squad cars with her black Infiniti luxury sedan while racing at speeds up to 80mph, according to authorities.

Despite, the sensitive location, Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said: ‘This appears to be an isolated incident. There is no nexus to terrorism.’

Officers and federal agents fired at least 15 shots, before killing her within sight of the Capitol Building, just behind the U.S. Supreme Court.

The child was unhurt. She was rescued from the car by Capitol Police and taken to a local hospital, where she was check out and is currently in the custody of child protection officials.

Carey is believed to have a ‘history of mental health issues’, ABC reported.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/04/women-killed-outside-capitol-hill-after-trying-to-ram-gate-of-white-house/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-10-04

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there only alternative was killing her??

Easy to wonder that in hindsight but i guess if you do what she did, you will get treated like anyone else would, and that is as a serious terrorist threat. Feel awful for the kid but i don't think the mother can have too many complaints... were of course she alive to voice them.

• Like 2

how about shooting out the tires?

see those poles in the front of the photo? That would have stopped her car

PLus it seems from the photo they had a car behind her as well.

If this had been in suburbia, they might have chosen a different course of action.

• Like 1

It is very sad.

Carey's mother, Idella Carey, told ABC News her daughter had been suffering from post-natal depression since late August. "She was depressed," Mrs Carey said, but added that her daughter had "no history of violence".

There's a long history of tragic events associated with PND.

Edited by Chicog

Imagine this happened in a poor third world country, what would be the comments?

I've read somewhere "amount of effort required by police to compel compliance by an unwilling subject" what does that mean?

Imagine this happened in a poor third world country, what would be the comments?

I've read somewhere "amount of effort required by police to compel compliance by an unwilling subject" what does that mean?

Try just driving past State House in Harare....not a good idea as some have found out.

She was using her car as a deadly weapon against people which makes it a lawful shoot. Cars will run on flat tires.

I watched the chase live on TV, and watched her ram one police car. I watched one policeman put on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

No one really knew why or what she was doing, but they shot her to stop her. I didn't see the shooting. It was out of sight of cameras. I saw the aftermath with most if not all of the windows blown out of the car.

As others pointed out, the police didn't know what they were dealing with, but they had to stop her and they had every right to also protect themselves and everyone else in DC from what she was doing. She was effectively in the act of trying to commit murder with her car. The place she was doing it was very sensitive and who knew if she also had a bomb?

It was a good shoot and "up yours" to those US bashers in posts above.

• Like 2

This was a relatively crowded area, so there was a lot of danger of killing others with unnecessary gunfire or if she was allowed to continue to drive erratically.

The real danger was her possibly killing people with a deadly weapon called a car. 80 MPH (120 kmh m/l) on city streets and deliberately ramming a police car?

They had to stop her. Police know how to be sure of their backstop before they shoot.

• Like 1

I doubt the shooters will be revelling in a job well done.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a matter of fact they normally do. Their adrenaline is a mile high, they've be forced to drive at 80 mph on narrow city streets scared to death they'll hit an innocent or have a bad crash themselves. They don't know if she has a bomb. This thing lasted a while.

They are very, very happy to put a stop to it for their safety and the public safety.

Good job.