Credit Card In Thailand Without Work Permit - Possible?

'Let your money do the talking' doesn't seem to work with Thai banks :o Short of offering the branch manager something under the table, i'm not sure how I can persuade them to change their minds re the CC. Besides, their attitude seems very similar to UK banks that I have dealt with ..... which is that they don't give a ###### about their customers.

Simon

surely there is a bank / branch that will warmly accept your millions bending over backwards for you....what about one of the foreign banks with Thai branches???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To OldAsiaHand, having just been issued with a Central Mastercard (I have a work permit) and currently going through the process to get a home loan, I can tell you there is a central registry of consumer debt in Thailand. It has existed for several years now and most financial institutions and lenders are members. An individual's credit record in Thailand is easily available to member institutions. Applications for credit are accompanied by a form authorising the credit check. No signed form - no loan.

I don't think credit checks extend to farang's home countries due to the difficulty with privacy legislation in most countries. I had to separately authorise companies in my home country to provide information to the Thai bank (should they inquire) during the home loan approval process.

I find this kind of story unbelievable. Back in the UK, you apply on online and subject to criedit checks your card arrives 2 weeks later. Is this situation created because of a prejudice against farang or because the Thai 'System' is still in the dark ages. They certainly don't make it easy!

Something so basic to run your everyday life is yet again made very difficult in Thailand.

Maybe if you are British.

Try being a foreigner in the UK. Most won't open a bank account unless you are working and have the right to work in the UK. Some refuse to open one unless you have been in the country for a year. Barclays was like that with me.

Also, in the UK you get to queue for an hour before the one teller on duty tells you that you are in the wrong queue and that you'll have to find a customer service manager who usually needs an appointment if you want to meet them.

Getting a credit card is eventually do-able, but it is about the same level of hassel as Rainman and you'll need a job, in the UK.

I find this kind of story unbelievable. Back in the UK, you apply on online and subject to criedit checks your card arrives 2 weeks later. Is this situation created because of a prejudice against farang or because the Thai 'System' is still in the dark ages. They certainly don't make it easy!

Something so basic to run your everyday life is yet again made very difficult in Thailand.

Maybe if you are British.

Try being a foreigner in the UK. Most won't open a bank account unless you are working and have the right to work in the UK. Some refuse to open one unless you have been in the country for a year. Barclays was like that with me.

Also, in the UK you get to queue for an hour before the one teller on duty tells you that you are in the wrong queue and that you'll have to find a customer service manager who usually needs an appointment if you want to meet them.

Getting a credit card is eventually do-able, but it is about the same level of hassel as Rainman and you'll need a job, in the UK.

Just stop and think about it for a moment.

I have already pointed out that farangs without work permits are potentially high credit risks. They don't work here, so no local income,.and more importantly, there is no Thai employer through whom they could be traced. OK, the farang may have a non immigrant visa and may be receiving annual extensions based on marriage or retirement, but in the eyes of Thai officialdom, they are no more than guests, transients or maybe temporary residents. They could leave at any time (they don't even have a job that may tie them here financially), and they could get kicked out at any time if their annual visa extension is not apoproved. Yes they have a lot of money, but most if not all is outside the country, so all the more reason to suspect that one day they might hop on plane and not come back. Thai banks aren't about to start chasing farangs all over the world to collect a credit card debts.

Now let's look at Thais. They all have ID cards and they all have Ta bian Bahns (house registration papers). These papers must be produced for every purpose, and they are on central computers. Thais have great difficulty disappearing in Thailand, and very few have any desire to leave the country. My experience is that it is almost impossible for Thais to do a runner - for a start they will ruin their lives if they tried to (they would never get anothert job), and in any event, the police can usually trace them - and if not them, then their homes and families, which is just as bad. So they may not have a lot of money, but the banks can certainly keep tabs on them, and have ways of making them pay up.

Just think it through, and stop whingeing. If you get a credit card, you're lucky - if you don't, so what? It's not the end of the world - if you've got plenty of cash you're never more than ten minutes from an ATM, where you can also pay bills, and send money to other people's/company's accounts. which is more than you can do in the UK. :o

BTW, What makes you think some low level bank worker, earning a few thousand lousy baht a month could give two tosses whether a farang is entitled to a credit card, and whether he keeps his few million there, or moves it elsewhere?

No more than most bank workers would in England.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

i understand their concerns, but there shouldn't really be any problems as long as you're willing to place a deposit account in the amount of the credit limit or even higher. i used to have a mastercard in the US for nearly two years while living there and for a non-US citizen its extremely difficult to get unless you have a SIN and all that. but they issued it to me after making a security deposit at their bank for $20,000 ...which was $5,000 higher than the limit the card had ...$15,000.

i don't mind making a deposit of 50,000 baht in thailand to get a credit card in the limit of 20,000 ...you can't over-draw credit cards by more than a few dollars anyways these days so i dont see their logic of it being a risk.

i understand their concerns, but there shouldn't really be any problems as long as you're willing to place a deposit account in the amount of the credit limit or even higher. i used to have a mastercard in the US for nearly two years while living there and for a non-US citizen its extremely difficult to get unless you have a SIN and all that. but they issued it to me after making a security deposit at their bank for $20,000 ...which was $5,000 higher than the limit the card had ...$15,000.

i don't mind making a deposit of 50,000 baht in thailand to get a credit card in the limit of 20,000 ...you can't over-draw credit cards by more than a few dollars anyways these days so i dont see their logic of it being a risk.

How many credit card companies in the Uk would bother with getting you to make security deposit if, in other respects, you didn't meet their credit requirements? very few I suspect. It's all too much hassle if you don't fit their criteria - time is money - if they lose a few credit worthy customers, better than gaining a few bad eggs.

It's the same here - its just not worth the hassle. Why should they put themselves out for a few transient farangs?

Ok, the whole fabric of the USA is driven by credit and plastic, but we are light years away from that in Thailand. Apart from a relatively small group of middle/upper class elite in Bangkok, nobody uses credit cards. This is still a cash based economy, (even cheques are rarely used outside of the business world), - and if you don't fit the banks' standard criteria, why bother with you?

None of my business, but I don't really understand why you are so bothered about having a credit card? If you carry 20,000 baht in your wallet ,(300 quid), it will surely take care of most bills? ATM's are always on hand, and if you are prepared to put up a 50,000 Baht security deposit, surely far better that you use it to pay your bills? Or is it a status thing? or a face thing?

Just wondering. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

In my case, the only reason why I want a CC is to pay for car-hire, especially when I travel to the UK. Car-hire companies will not accept my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card, either online or in-person. They will only accept payment by a CC...

If BB allowed their debit card to be used online, then that would make things much easier for me, but I suppose there is a fraud concern etc

Simon

If BB allowed their debit card to be used online, then that would make things much easier for me, but I suppose there is a fraud concern etc

Simon

I do not think there can not be any fraud concern because if buy with debitcard the money is instantly reserved from your bank account...

I think at least most european international debitcards are already accepted when buying online..Even paypal accepts my Finnish visa electroncard.. :o

Maby Thailand debitcards will be accepted in near future...

To OldAsiaHand, having just been issued with a Central Mastercard (I have a work permit) and currently going through the process to get a home loan, I can tell you there is a central registry of consumer debt in Thailand. It has existed for several years now and most financial institutions and lenders are members. An individual's credit record in Thailand is easily available to member institutions. Applications for credit are accompanied by a form authorising the credit check. No signed form - no loan.

You are indeed correct, although only technically.

There was an announced effort several years ago to establish a central clearing house in Thailand for consumer credit information but -- like most annouced undertakings in Thailand -- it has turned into something of a fiasco. Reporting is spotty at best and, unless they want to get rid of you anyway, the reports really don't have much weight if indeed they request them at all. I have seen my own 'file' and, after living here for nearly twenty years and holding a large number of credit cards and engaging in all sorts of other consumer credit transactions, there is essentially nothing there. Nothing good, nothing bad, just nothing.

Thailand isn't like the US or UK where your credit file is the first and last word. Here it's barely a whisper, if that.

In my case, the only reason why I want a CC is to pay for car-hire, especially when I travel to the UK. Car-hire companies will not accept my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card, either online or in-person. They will only accept payment by a CC...

Simon

I assume you must still hold at least one bank account in the UK/- either on or offshore? If so, why can't you get a credit or debit card through them for use when you travel to the UK?

That's what I do - and it's also handy for emergencies, and the occasional internet, or paypal transaction etc.

None of my business, but I don't really understand why you are so bothered about having a credit card? If you carry 20,000 baht in your wallet ,(300 quid), it will surely take care of most bills? ATM's are always on hand, and if you are prepared to put up a 50,000 Baht security deposit, surely far better that you use it to pay your bills? Or is it a status thing? or a face thing?

Just wondering. :o

i don't use a credit card in the sense of "borrowing" money from the bank and later paying it off. i use it to work over the internet and its extremely time consuming and far more expensive doing international payments through wire transfers, western union, etc.

Yes, I have a UK offshore account in my offshore company name. The banking service is fine but no credit-card is offered....

I would be very happy to get a UK credit-card in my own name but my enquiries with the various UK CC companies have been unsuccessful because I am no longer resident in the UK. (I have lived in Thailand for 4 years and am no longer on the electorial register etc since my ex-wife sold our UK home.

It's really only the UK car-hire issue that annoys me - elsewise I'm happy without a CC

Simon

Yes, I have a UK offshore account in my offshore company name. The banking service is fine but no credit-card is offered....

I would be very happy to get a UK credit-card in my own name but my enquiries with the various UK CC companies have been unsuccessful because I am no longer resident in the UK. (I have lived in Thailand for 4 years and am no longer on the electorial register etc since my ex-wife sold our UK home.

It's really only the UK car-hire issue that annoys me - elsewise I'm happy without a CC

Simon

surely it isn't a big deal to get back on the register at a friends/relatives house etc? Given that the basis of all UK credit checks is the electoral roll, it make sense. While I am away from the UK I've made sure that I remain in the system while not being fraudulent. Just makes life easier.

Simon

surely it isn't a big deal to get back on the register at a friends/relatives house etc? Given that the basis of all UK credit checks is the electoral roll, it make sense. While I am away from the UK I've made sure that I remain in the system while not being fraudulent. Just makes life easier.

Well. when I left England a few years back, I maintained all my credit cards, and just notrified them of a change of address to my brother's house, as I did with my Uk bank. Since then there's been absolutely no problems, and I access my accounts on line, and my brother keeps me advised of any mail and sends on anything important. No-one checks the elctoral register - they wouldn't for an existing customer.

So you may have burnt your bridges. However there is hope.

Since I have been out here I have opened an offshore bank account with Abbey National in Jersey. I hold most of my uninnvested funds there, and I have an Abbey Visa Gold debit card upon which I can withdraw 300 pounds per day from any machine, and can use the debit card on the internet for payments. I also operate the bank account on the internet and can make a transfer of unlimited funds, anywhere in the world by making one phone call (unlike most UK based banks where there is a phone limit of around 5000 pounds.) I opened this account using my Thai address and Thai proof of residence - like a copy of a utility bill, rental agreement etc - just the same as being in England. These guys are used to dealing with expats so they adapt the rules accordingly.

My documentary proofs of residence, were verified locally ( and some were translated) by a company who acts as my iinvestment intermediary - they are an agent of Abbey so it all went smoothly. No reason you can't do the same with Abbey, or maybe some other Jersey based Bank - may be a bit of a hassle, (like gettinmg the stuff stamped up by the embassy or a lawyer,) but worth it once you get it set up. I also understand HSBC are geared up to offer banking services to expats - and they understand the particular problems/ requirements involved. They were always advertising their services to expats on a Daily telegraph news letter I used to read. Try their web site, (and Abbey's), and take it from there.

Good luck.

does anyone have experience in applying for a credit card in thailand under these circumstances?

I am apply for "my CC" without any Probleme. I have a normal Savingaccount incl. this Passbook aboud one year by SCB. 12 weeks ago, i ask my branchboss for a CC (Mastercard). Answer yes shure , no pompem sir.

After 3Weeks applicationand appoving, the bank was calling. I have to come for pickup my cards :o . Actually i have now one Visa & one Mastercard (Gold). Creditlimit is on each Card BT 100,000.-

and some strangees by the way, i dont need my marriagecertif., no Visashowtime, no other special "FarangPaperWorst". They want only the obligate PassCopy and a copy of my "yellow TabienBaan"

I am apply for "my CC" without any Probleme. I have a normal Savingaccount incl. this Passbook aboud one year by SCB. 12 weeks ago, i ask my branchboss for a CC (Mastercard). Answer yes shure , no pompem sir.

After 3Weeks applicationand appoving, the bank was calling. I have to come for pickup my cards :o . Actually i have now one Visa & one Mastercard (Gold). Creditlimit is on each Card BT 100,000.-

and some strangees by the way, i dont need my marriagecertif., no Visashowtime, no other special "FarangPaperWorst". They want only the obligate PassCopy and a copy of my "yellow TabienBaan"

am i wrong to assume you have thai nationality and/or you're bullshi... me?

Edited by rainman

• 2 weeks later...

just quick update ...no word yet from my bangkok bank application. got a call today for my central card application and they said they "can do" (whatever that means..maybe approved?) but they will need this documentation and i need to bring it to them to the central department store's application office:

- passport copies

- marriage certificate

- letter from my embassy confirming offshore income

- bank account statements in thailand for the last 6 months

i told them i gave them everything already a month ago when i submitted the application and they said that they don't have it, sigh. so i gave it again...we'll see.

am i wrong to assume you have thai nationality and/or you're bullshi... me?

no, i own my standartEuro nationality, The only other is that i live in Samui

(some peple say its not Thailand). The SCB BranchBoss is an old friend from

my wife and i have also my Companyaccounts by this branch....

Maybe i looks verry serios....

Greetz: Lung

and bevor other upcomming questions: i am 47years and live now 1year on Samui :o

• 2 weeks later...

well, my application was given to bangkok bank on 2006-04-28 and on friday, which is 2006-05-19 (so exactly 3 weeks later), i get a call from them and they tell me..

"sir we received your application but cannot submit to main branch because we dont have copy your work permit. please come and give us copy".

are you ^%#@@'ing me? that's 3 weeks later! how many times did i tell them that the main branch did already say it was okay without a work permit (read my previous posts in this thread)? that means it took them 3 weeks to find out i needed something i don't even need.

i explained them the whole thing all over again and then they told me that if i didnt have a work permit, i needed to give them a security deposit.

...but...i already did! and told them i had signed the papers authorizing the security withdrawal 3 weeks ago.

"ok..one moment sir.."

i wait what seems like 5 minutes and then she comes back saying:

"ok you want 20,000 limit but only sign security deposit for 40,000. we need 60,000 deposit for 20,000 limit". why do they need 3x the amount my credit limit is for? i've had credit cards before in other countries and they only needed 1 1/2 to 2x the limit of the credit card. you can't go more than a few dollars over the limit anyways with credit cards, so why isn't 40,000 enough for a 20,000 limit card? why 60,000 now when they told me 40,000 three weeks ago?

am i the only one that thinks if i authorize them the 60,000 deposit that in 3 weeks i will get a phone call that says they need 4x the credit limit?

the funny thing is i dont mind giving them a 60,000 deposit if i could just get the 20,000 limit card ...but somehow i dont think that's going to work.

how come SCB won't even give me a savings account without a work permit but others get a credit card? am i visiting the wrong branch?

Yes you are...

First scb branch (pattaya near walking street) i walked wanted work permit in order to have account..

For Next branch (pattaya second road near tops) i walked just tourist passport was enough :o

• 4 weeks later...

rainman, any updates? I am keen to go ahead and open an account with a CC myself, but I feel you, I've been through this stupidity while I was trying to get high-speed internet in Pattaya, I even got to the point where the TOT branch manager confirmed hiself that "Can do". And just when I was about to sign, they told me "coming soon" and I stopped doing whatever I was doing and walked away. My friend, living next door to me, signed and it seems that the "coming soon" period is taking longer than I thought, as much as 5 or 6 months already :o .

Let me know if I have to deal with that again for banks in case I want a CC.

submitted my application to Bangkok Bank again nearly three weeks ago. no response yet. but did get a response from my Central credit card application, four weeks after i submitted the papers again ...(2nd time). when i inquired on the status, they said they didn't process it yet because i had never submitted the papers and asked me to submit them a 3rd time. i don't know if they just don't know how to match supporting documents with the applications or if they're just having fun over there. note we're talking about 30 copies of bank statements, ID cards, passport, etc. i haven't decided yet if i want to submit them a 3rd time or just stick with the Bangkok Bank application....

Oh my God, that's even worst that I have expected, think I'll just apply for the HSBC in Singapore part, I am not sure what is the minimum deposit for a CC with HSBC in Singapore, but guess I won't have the same problems and could be a safer way, after all you're telling me, I am not sure about how Thai banks even work. Keep us updated anyways. Good luck!

i'm close to going to HSBC in Thailand for a CC application, too. i have several accounts in other countries with HSBC and never had a problem, so perhaps that will make it easier...

In Thailand??? as far as I know, the HSBC in Thailand will require work permit for farangs to open an account. I was close to open the account with the HSBC bank in Singapore, but I am not sure on what is the minimum deposit. If you have info that this could be done in Thailand, please keep me updated.

Thanks,

Alex

As far I know it's impossible;asked BBK Bank and SCB,no card without a work permit.

The friendly lady in SCB told me that they have to ask the BOT for permission and they never approve!

Perhaps as rcb says one can use the wife account to bypass the problem?

Will try myself next time. :D

Work permit!What a joke! I have the best of all.A

retirement visa.They should make it #1.You can't believe the responce when I try to explain that to so called responsible Thai"s. :o:D:D:D:D