Credit Card In Thailand Without Work Permit - Possible?

i'm currently looking into getting a credit card in thailand ...but the problem is, since i don't work for a thai company, i don't have a work permit, which is required by most banks. i am however married in thailand with a non-imm O visa. i recently applied for a mastercard through my nearest central department store because they said that a work permit wasn't needed if i was married, all i had to show them was the marriage certificate, bank statements of the last 6 months and copies of IDs. so i applied for that but haven't heard back for two weeks. i'm assuming they either just take a long time to process it or put it in the trash.

does anyone have experience in applying for a credit card in thailand under these circumstances?

:o

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm currently looking into getting a credit card in thailand ...but the problem is, since i don't work

I opened last monday bank account in siam commercial/pattaya. I instantly got bankbook, internet login/passwords and card which says mastercard..

I really very must doubt that it can not be real credit card though :D

I do not have any working permit..Only 30-day stamp in my passport at the moment...

Pretty odd was when opening bank account that branch near walking street they asked working permit in order to open account but branch second road near tops needed only my passport..

Amazing Thailand :o

Edited by thaitero

i'm currently looking into getting a credit card in thailand ...but the problem is, since i don't work

I opened last monday bank account in siam commercial/pattaya. I instantly got bankbook, internet login/passwords and card which says mastercard..

I really very must doubt that it can not be real credit card though :D

I do not have any working permit..Only 30-day stamp in my passport at the moment...

Pretty odd was when opening bank account that branch near walking street they asked working permit in order to open account but branch second road near tops needed only my passport..

Amazing Thailand :o

The Mastercard you get with a SCB account is a payment/debit card, it is not a credit card and cannot be used to buy things 'on-line'. The card can be used at shops that show the Mastercard Electronic sybol which include Tesco, Big C amongst others.

i'm currently looking into getting a credit card in thailand ...but the problem is, since i don't work for a thai company, i don't have a work permit, which is required by most banks. i am however married in thailand with a non-imm O visa. i recently applied for a mastercard through my nearest central department store because they said that a work permit wasn't needed if i was married, all i had to show them was the marriage certificate, bank statements of the last 6 months and copies of IDs. so i applied for that but haven't heard back for two weeks. i'm assuming they either just take a long time to process it or put it in the trash.

does anyone have experience in applying for a credit card in thailand under these circumstances?

I have been told that it is possible to 'lodge' an amount of cash with the bank that is equivalent (or greater) than the limit of a credit card and then they will issue one without work permit. This came to me from "a man in a pub" so it may be 'less than true' but it could be worth asking at your local Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Branch.

I have been told that it is possible to 'lodge' an amount of cash with the bank that is equivalent (or greater) than the limit of a credit card and then they will issue one without work permit. This came to me from "a man in a pub" so it may be 'less than true' but it could be worth asking at your local Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Branch.

that seems to work ..i called bangkok bank (where i have most of my accounts since 2+ years) and they confirmed the above.

that seems to work ..i called bangkok bank (where i have most of my accounts since 2+ years) and they confirmed the above.

Rainman, that's interesting news. It might come in handy someday. I still rely on an American Citibank visa card, but they add on fees for foreign transactions that go against my stingy nature.

Do you have any specifics on the terms of this deal at BB? I assume it's not sufficient to have funds equal to or greater than the credit card limit on deposit with the bank. Presumably they want to take those funds and lock them away in some account you can't touch. Would one of their new deposit accounts earning ~5% qualify?

Hi there,

Yes, you can have a Credit Card ....i am non-imm O too .My Mastercard has my Wifes Bankaccount but runs on my name ....Nice -i spend the Money and she has to pay for it.

I have this from Krungthai Bank...but i am convinced you can do this with other banks as well.

I had to bring my wedding Certificate and Passport when i applied for it.

hope that helps

rcm :D

As far I know it's impossible;asked BBK Bank and SCB,no card without a work permit.

The friendly lady in SCB told me that they have to ask the BOT for permission and they never approve!

Perhaps as rcb says one can use the wife account to bypass the problem?

Will try myself next time. :o

i'm visiting my bangkok bank branch tomorrow morning for the application, but from what the told me on the phone its possible as long as you have a "security deposit" account with them for the amount of the credit limit, so i assume you wont be able to touch that amount for as long as you have the card. we'll see, i'll keep you all updated..

American Express used to issue a card in Thailand pretty much on request to anyone who already had an American Express account somewhere else. I'm not sure what their policy is now but, if you do, it might be worth a try.

Amex doesn't give anyone a credit line, of course, but it's still far less expensive to charge THB amounts to a card that bills monthly in THB and avoid the overseas surcharges that US bankcard issuers use to beat you to death.

I went into my branch of Siam Commercial and asked the manager for the credit card application form.

He made a funny look and said ''but you are a falang'' and laughed. ''Cannot'' was his answer.

Well, matey, thats not what it says on your website!! That sort of service is real toilet, especially when i have my personal AND business account at that branch. :o:D:D

Bangkok Bank HO told me with work permit and fixed deposit as security can have credit card with same limit. Basically you do runner they get money back from deposit!

Its prob a central bank requirement I suspect

Do they run credit checks before giving u a credit card?

If they do, do they check your credit from the country you come from???

Surely you're joking.

There is no central source of consumer credit information in Thailand to be checked and, as for crecking credit bureaus overseas, well......surely you're joking.

Some banks required Fix deposit for foreighner i think more than 100k THB in order to get a CC...

Ive got Central Gold CC & SCB CC ... Looks good very usefull

If if you are not a work permit holder then if possible your wife register it under her name and then apply a supplement card for you.. this all depends if your wife got a 15k and above thai baht per month salary or not...

If your wife can apply it.. then you will need to provide your visa copy and your Marrige cert to the CC companies.....

Edited by tytus

well, i did my application today with the bangkok bank (bangkapi/sukhumvit branch) and it was a huge nightmare. i spent nearly two hours at their branch, together with my wife. it went something like this:

1. i told them that the silom main branch had confirmed to me that a foreigner can indeed open a credit card account without a work permit if he made a security deposit.

2. they said i needed a work permit and i could do it.

3. i stated the above again.

4. sorry, cannot do sir.

5. i told them to call the silom main branch and ask them.

6. they called and said that the silom branch would like to talk to me.

7. silom branch confirmed to me that i could do it and asked to speak to the sukhumvit branch manager.

(not sure why i even needed to speak with them again, but anyways)

8. sukhumvit branch manager tells me ok its possible and makes me fill out all the forms ...which are all in thai so my wife has to help me.

9. after its all filled out, she tells me my wife can't apply for a second card on the account because i am a foreigner, not thai. visa and mastercard dont allow this. she then takes a pen and cancels out all my wife's details on the application forms.

10. i say what the **** why can't my wife have access to the account, i never heard of anything like that for visa and mastercard anywhere in the world and tell her to call the main branch again.

11. main branch tells sukhumvit branch that my wife can indeed have a second card.

12. so i ask them is it all ok now and my wife can have a second card?

13. they say the application is no longer valid because my wife's information got wiped out (the sukhumvit manager did this though...not me!!) and tells me i have to fill out everything again.

14. i fill out everything again ...including my wife's information.

15. we get a separate form for the credit limit and i request 20,000.

16. she says can't do ...foreigner needs at least a 40,000 limit.

17. i tell them but i dont want a 40,000 limit for security reasons (if the card is lost or if my wife goes on a shopping spree, etc..)

18. they say cannot do ...but i make them call the silom branch again, but they're busy ..so i say whatever and fill out the 40,000 form.

19. when i'm about to sign it, another employee tells me that i can't do 40,000 ...quote "falang is minimum 100,000".

20. what the hel_l ...you go from 20,000 to 40,000 to 100,000 in less than 10 minutes.

21. i tell them no way i am putting a 100,000 deposit and sign that amount of credit limit ...i want the 20,000 limit that silom confirmed to me initially and have them call them again.

22. they call again and silom confirms i can have a 20,000 limit.

all done? i hope so ...they told me they would not submit the application and would inform me if it was approved or not. i don't even know why they made such a big deal, all they had to fill out was the documentation since i already knew the requirements, but they made up new ones along the way ...i hope my application at least makes it to the main office.

well, i did my application today with the bangkok bank (bangkapi/sukhumvit branch) and it was a huge nightmare. i spent nearly two hours at their branch, together with my wife. it went something like this:

1. i told them that the silom main branch had confirmed to me that a foreigner can indeed open a credit card account without a work permit if he made a security deposit.

2. they said i needed a work permit and i could do it.

3. i stated the above again.

4. sorry, cannot do sir.

5. i told them to call the silom main branch and ask them.

6. they called and said that the silom branch would like to talk to me.

7. silom branch confirmed to me that i could do it and asked to speak to the sukhumvit branch manager.

(not sure why i even needed to speak with them again, but anyways)

8. sukhumvit branch manager tells me ok its possible and makes me fill out all the forms ...which are all in thai so my wife has to help me.

9. after its all filled out, she tells me my wife can't apply for a second card on the account because i am a foreigner, not thai. visa and mastercard dont allow this. she then takes a pen and cancels out all my wife's details on the application forms.

10. i say what the **** why can't my wife have access to the account, i never heard of anything like that for visa and mastercard anywhere in the world and tell her to call the main branch again.

11. main branch tells sukhumvit branch that my wife can indeed have a second card.

12. so i ask them is it all ok now and my wife can have a second card?

13. they say the application is no longer valid because my wife's information got wiped out (the sukhumvit manager did this though...not me!!) and tells me i have to fill out everything again.

14. i fill out everything again ...including my wife's information.

15. we get a separate form for the credit limit and i request 20,000.

16. she says can't do ...foreigner needs at least a 40,000 limit.

17. i tell them but i dont want a 40,000 limit for security reasons (if the card is lost or if my wife goes on a shopping spree, etc..)

18. they say cannot do ...but i make them call the silom branch again, but they're busy ..so i say whatever and fill out the 40,000 form.

19. when i'm about to sign it, another employee tells me that i can't do 40,000 ...quote "falang is minimum 100,000".

20. what the hel_l ...you go from 20,000 to 40,000 to 100,000 in less than 10 minutes.

21. i tell them no way i am putting a 100,000 deposit and sign that amount of credit limit ...i want the 20,000 limit that silom confirmed to me initially and have them call them again.

22. they call again and silom confirms i can have a 20,000 limit.

all done? i hope so ...they told me they would not submit the application and would inform me if it was approved or not. i don't even know why they made such a big deal, all they had to fill out was the documentation since i already knew the requirements, but they made up new ones along the way ...i hope my application at least makes it to the main office.

Well, you did something right! Usually, I blow up on them (in Thai) around number 5 or 6 entering the lost face situation, where its best that I exit the situation before my temper fully takes over

Good job man!

Tremendously flavoursome your story !

Good luck. Hope that your application will go through.

Edited by cclub75

American Express used to issue a card in Thailand pretty much on request to anyone who already had an American Express account somewhere else. I'm not sure what their policy is now but, if you do, it might be worth a try.

Amex doesn't give anyone a credit line, of course, but it's still far less expensive to charge THB amounts to a card that bills monthly in THB and avoid the overseas surcharges that US bankcard issuers use to beat you to death.

I held an Amex GOLD CARD in the UK for over 20 years. About a year or so ago, I applied to have the account transferred to Thailand. I had a retirement visa and no work permit. They asked for a lot of info, including proof of my overseas earnings, bank statements, and God knows what else, despite the fact that I had an exemplary record with Amex in the UK, anmd a lot of money in the bank. Sent everything off; waited and waited, called many times, and eventually they came back asking for more yet documentation.I got mad, contacted the farang MD of Amex in Thailand, and eventually, after much apologies, the Thai Gold card was issued. Since then, I have transferred my reward points over here and have had a supplementary card issued to my Thai wife. They are very polite and accomodating every time I have a query. I have even direct debited my phone and other utility bills through the card.

I suppose the fact that we are all only here for one year at atime, and can have our visas so easily revoked when renewing, does make most farangs a potentially high credit risks.

i'm looking at changing all my books to the silom branch so i won't have to deal with bangkapi/sukhumvit anymore ....its always a little nightmare there but today was just the worst. whatever i told them that silom had already confirmed to me, they denied ..and made up their own rules along the way.

another funny thing i forgot to mention, is they asked me if i wanted a visa or a mastercard. i asked them what's the difference? and she said "its only a different name ...up to you what name you want". sigh.

Don't assume that BB Silom (main branch) will treat you any better! I have had an account with them for over 3 years. I send about 1 million baht each month to this account from the UK. A few months ago I asked for a credit-card from them, (I have no WP, but have 4 years of Non-imm B visa).

After several hours of enquiry/explanation about my status as an 'investor' etc, they said I couldn't have a CC because I had no WP.....

I also applied for the Central card here in Phuket. They told me that a WP was not neccessary, so long as you brought a reasonable amount of money into Thailand each month. Apparently 1 million baht per month is not enough, or so they said when they rejected my application some 4 weeks later....

Simon

now, we're getting mixed information...

Rainman was able to apply and told that he qualified for only putting in between 20 - 40 k security deposit

simon was rejected by bbl to even apply and rejected by central after applying and he is bringing in one million baht per month! :o

If I was depositing that kind of money, I'd let my money talk and as soon as they become stubborn and say something like 'foreigner can not...'

:D Smile politely and kindly ask for the forms to close the multi million baht account. Take your money elsewhere where it's more appreciated...surely shouldn't be that big of a deal.

"No, we don't want your money!"

That'll be the day :D

'Let your money do the talking' doesn't seem to work with Thai banks :o Short of offering the branch manager something under the table, i'm not sure how I can persuade them to change their minds re the CC. Besides, their attitude seems very similar to UK banks that I have dealt with ..... which is that they don't give a ###### about their customers.

Simon

i guess all i can do is wait and see what happens. so far i applied for two credit cards, one with central and one with bangkok bank. the story on the central card is they told me yesterday afternoon (after i called to check on my status) that they are currently processing my application and i should "receive my card and information" in the mail in the coming days. she didn't say if i was approved or not, though ...so no idea what that means, perhaps its a standard response.

I find this kind of story unbelievable. Back in the UK, you apply on online and subject to criedit checks your card arrives 2 weeks later. Is this situation created because of a prejudice against farang or because the Thai 'System' is still in the dark ages. They certainly don't make it easy!

Something so basic to run your everyday life is yet again made very difficult in Thailand.

I find this kind of story unbelievable. Back in the UK, you apply on online and subject to criedit checks your card arrives 2 weeks later. Is this situation created because of a prejudice against farang or because the Thai 'System' is still in the dark ages. They certainly don't make it easy!

Something so basic to run your everyday life is yet again made very difficult in Thailand.

If you ask me, I think it's the backwards right wing racists in the BOT and other segments of Thai government...

It's not the system as a whole, as nearly any Thai and their second couzin can get credit in Thailand. How many Thais that drive cars or have houses actually own such assets, let alone will be able to pay them off before their 80???

Edited by greenwanderer108