Adobe Confirms Customer Data and Source Code Breach

george

Adobe Confirms Customer Data and Source Code Breach

Adobe has confirmed that 2.9 million customers have had private information stolen during a "sophisticated" cyber attack on its website.

The attackers accessed encrypted customer passwords and payment card numbers, the company said.

But it does not believe decrypted debit or credit card data was removed.

Adobe also revealed that it was investigating the "illegal access" of source code for numerous products, including Adobe Acrobat and ColdFusion.

"We deeply regret that this incident occurred," said Brad Arkin, Adobe's chief security officer.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24392819

here is the full email from Adobe ...

Important Customer Security Alert To view this message in a language other than English, please click here.

We recently discovered that attackers illegally entered our network. The attackers may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account. If you have placed an order with us, information such as your name, encrypted payment card number, and card expiration date also may have been accessed. We do not believe any decrypted card numbers were removed from our systems.

To prevent unauthorized access to your account, we have reset your password. Please visit www.adobe.com/go/passwordreset to create a new password. We recommend that you also change your password on any website where you use the same user ID or password. As always, please be cautious when responding to any email seeking your personal information.

We also recommend that you monitor your account for incidents of fraud and identity theft, including regularly reviewing your account statements and monitoring credit reports. If you discover any suspicious or unusual activity on your account or suspect identity theft or fraud, you should report it immediately to your bank. You will be receiving a letter from us shortly that provides more information on this matter.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. We value the trust of our customers and we will work aggressively to prevent these types of events from occurring in the future. If you have questions, you can learn more by visiting our Customer Alert page, which you will find here. Adobe Customer Care

The attackers accessed encrypted customer passwords and payment card numbers, the company said.

Just another reason why I never pay for software :D

And what are the other reasons you would rather steal a product rather than pay for it?

Just another reason why I never pay for software biggrin.png

And what are the other reasons you would rather steal a product rather than pay for it?

One other reason would be that defenders of the realm, like you, think it's necessary to tell me how big a criminal I am when I download some software from a publicly available website.

Just another reason why I never pay for software :D

One other reason would be that defenders of the realm, like you, think it's necessary to tell me how big a criminal I am when I download some software from a publicly available website.

It's made public due to hackers stealing source codes and making it available to people like yourself. They also get to give out viruses and Trojans to the down loaders.

Really if a products is good why wouldn't you pay for it? I am sure you wouldn't be happy if you spent countless hours and money creating something only to have it ripped off and given away for free.

It's made public due to hackers stealing source codes and making it available to people like yourself. They also get to give out viruses and Trojans to the down loaders.

Really if a products is good why wouldn't you pay for it? I am sure you wouldn't be happy if you spent countless hours and money creating something only to have it ripped off and given away for free.

Windows is probably the most pirated software in the world, though as far as I can see I don't think Bill Gates lost any bread and butter because of that. smile.png

Any word whether the Adobe hack gives access to Dreamweaver server passwords when using ftp?

This can really be awful if that is possible...and a tremendously HUGE problem.

Because its TOO expensive, when was the last time you checked the price of an Adobe suite?

If it wasnt for pirated software, id never would have been able to learn some programs in the past.

Im all legit with real software now though, and have purchased the real thing.

Just another reason why I never pay for software xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

Because its TOO expensive, when was the last time you checked the price of an Adobe suite?

If it wasnt for pirated software, id never would have been able to learn some programs in the past.

Im all legit with real software now though, and have purchased the real thing.

May I ask when the last time you checked the price of Adobe creative suite??? I pay $29.00 per month on a subscription basis. I think that's cheap.

Windows is probably the most pirated software in the world, though as far as I can see I don't think Bill Gates lost any bread and butter because of that. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

According to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399318,00.asp Windows is not the most pirated software. And quite frankly if you to use a hacked version for your operating system that cant do security updates etc. Ya got to have rocks in your head.

PS so in your logic its ok to not pay for a product because a company makes a lot of money from it? .... Just asking biggrin.png

Windows is probably the most pirated software in the world, though as far as I can see I don't think Bill Gates lost any bread and butter because of that. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

According to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399318,00.asp Windows is not the most pirated software. And quite frankly if you to use a hacked version for your operating system that cant do security updates etc. Ya got to have rocks in your head.

PS so in your logic its ok to not pay for a product because a company makes a lot of money from it? .... Just asking biggrin.png

Can not do security and other updates on a pirated windows ?

Think you should check again and have those rocks removed tongue.png

You call 12.000 Baht a year on a never ending contract cheap for a software you may use now and then?

I am more of a regular user, so $29.00 per month on a contract I can terminate at any time is good value for me.

That is if you are a professional user, but how many are just occasional users ?

PS so in your logic its ok to not pay for a product because a company makes a lot of money from it? .... Just asking biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png width=20 alt=biggrin.png>

Can not do security and other updates on a pirated windows ?

Think you should check again and have those rocks removed xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

Haaaa, I see hack the hacked copy. Very nice. Really I don't mind paying for it. Cant afford the cluster F..K when it all goes south. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

You call 12.000 Baht a year on a never ending contract cheap for a software you may use now and then?

I am more of a regular user, so $29.00 per month on a contract I can terminate at any time is good value for me.

That is if you are a professional user, but how many are just occasional users ?

Gimp is a free photoshop product. A bit of a pain but works well.

I still don't get your logic. Because you are an occasional user its ok to get it for free?

Windows is probably the most pirated software in the world, though as far as I can see I don't think Bill Gates lost any bread and butter because of that. smile.png

Actually, Bill Gates acknowledged in an unguarded moment in 1998.

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though," Gates told an audience at the University of Washington. "And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

Ref: How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

Edited by BB1950

First of all he could use free software....there is a lot free software.

Or if he use a pirated software than it is an illegal copy, but it is not stolen. It is used without permission and payment. It is not fair and it is illegal but it is not stealing.

• Like 1