60,000 people fall ill in 24 flood-hit Thai provinces

webfact

60,000 people fall ill in 24 flood-hit provinces

PNDAT561005001000201_05102013_102855.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 October 2013 (NNT) – At present, 24 provinces are battered by heavy rainfall-triggered flooding, with more than 60,000 people in those provinces have fallen ill.

According to Public Health Minister Dr. Pradit Sintavanarong, 24 provinces in the north and northeast are still in flood crisis, whereas 9 other affected provinces are now recovering from the inundation.

He said mobile health units had been sent out to those areas to assist the residents, adding that over 60,000 people have fallen ill or caught a disease during the recent flooding.

Forty one percent of the patients are suffering from athlete’s foot and thirty percent have body aches. The ministry also found that 616 out of 38,000 surveyed people are suffering from depression.

Meanwhile, Dr. Narong Sahametapat, Permanent Secretary of the Public Health Ministry revealed that 264,000 sets of medicines were distributed to the flooded areas, while 300,000 more are in store for backup.

He went on to assure that Prachantakam Hospital in Prachinburi Province will operate 24 hours a day to help the flood victims.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-05 footer_n.gif

"BANGKOK, Sept 21 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today the Thai public not to worry about renewed flooding as the government is well-prepared for flood prevention measures."

Did I misread this article??? I thought the flood was already handled.

616 people out of 38,000 people living in flooded conditions are depressed.??????? I guess the other 37, 384 are not depressed or maybe even happy ??? .... or on some juice.

I think if I was sitting in a house with 2 feet of water on the floor, I might be a little depressed too.

Who comes up with this crap...... What about hunger, fear of snakes and pests, disease , hazards that may cause death very quickly,,,,,, and someone asks ..." are you depressed"????

Maybe Thai people can cope better and in a way that certain types of expat cannot ???

If I was a Thai, with a lousy, lying Thai government I would be depressed too

Isn't this an elected government, by the people?

Yes, and the sales pitch was "I'll give you 500 baht if you vote for me now, then I will screw you and your family for the rest of your life, while I live in the lap of luxury", and the response was "sounds good to me, where do I sign??"

"Please feel no worry." (Yingluck Shinawatra, September 21, 2013)

I even put my hand on a map in the photo, to stop you worrying. Why are you still depressed. You need to go on more holidays abroad to cheer yourself up.

coffee1.gif

616 people out of 38,000 people living in flooded conditions are depressed.??????? I guess the other 37, 384 are not depressed or maybe even happy ??? .... or on some juice.

I think if I was sitting in a house with 2 feet of water on the floor, I might be a little depressed too.

Who comes up with this crap...... What about hunger, fear of snakes and pests, disease , hazards that may cause death very quickly,,,,,, and someone asks ..." are you depressed"????

Maybe Thai people can cope better and in a way that certain types of expat cannot ???

First of its of course written in a way not to embarrass that PTP too much.. even you as a red cheerleader should understand that.

Secondly your point that Thai people can cope better is true too, the real poor have not that much to loose in their house. Expats and the middle class have more to loose in the house and will get more stressed. The real poor live in an easy and bad way already the ones that are a bit better off loose higher standards and are more affected.

Anyway I hope this stupid government looses all support and we finally get a decent government that plays by the rules. 2 years.. and they still did not do much for flood prevention. They had the biggest wake up call in decades (2011) so they should have been better prepared. Even if you don't blame them for 2011 (i do for the mismanagement of the dams where nobody was punished for) if this year gets out of hand everyone should blame them.

However the red cheerleaders always come up with nobody can control the weather excuse.. pathetic.

• Like 2

First of its of course written in a way not to embarrass that PTP too much.. even you as a red cheerleader should understand that.

Secondly your point that Thai people can cope better is true too, the real poor have not that much to loose in their house. Expats and the middle class have more to loose in the house and will get more stressed. The real poor live in an easy and bad way already the ones that are a bit better off loose higher standards and are more affected.

Anyway I hope this stupid government looses all support and we finally get a decent government that plays by the rules. 2 years.. and they still did not do much for flood prevention. They had the biggest wake up call in decades (2011) so they should have been better prepared. Even if you don't blame them for 2011 (i do for the mismanagement of the dams where nobody was punished for) if this year gets out of hand everyone should blame them.

However the red cheerleaders always come up with nobody can control the weather excuse.. pathetic.

There's always different ways of looking at things. The 2010 floods were the worst in 50 years, and Abhisit's government was criticised for its handling of them. The 2011 floods were even worse and had begun prior to Ahbisit's leaving office in August of that year. Yingluck's management of the problem, once she had taken office, clearly merits criticism. But Abhisit's government had had a full year (since the 2010 floods) to improve defenses as well, and we saw how well that worked... for example, his government refused repeated requests from the meteorological dept to upgrade weather detection and modelling systems. And as flood-waters entered Bangkok that year, the leader of the opposition went on a family vacation to the Maldives (which was initially denied by his party). Other than that, I agree with you, if things get bad this year, the Yingluck government needs to be held accountable to the extent that it is due to mismanagement on their part, and not if it's due to extraordinary circumstances. I'm reserving my opinion for now...

There's always different ways of looking at things. The 2010 floods were the worst in 50 years, and Abhisit's government was criticised for its handling of them. The 2011 floods were even worse and had begun prior to Ahbisit's leaving office in August of that year. Yingluck's management of the problem, once she had taken office, clearly merits criticism. But Abhisit's government had had a full year (since the 2010 floods) to improve defenses as well, and we saw how well that worked... for example, his government refused repeated requests from the meteorological dept to upgrade weather detection and modelling systems. And as flood-waters entered Bangkok that year, the leader of the opposition went on a family vacation to the Maldives (which was initially denied by his party). Other than that, I agree with you, if things get bad this year, the Yingluck government needs to be held accountable to the extent that it is due to mismanagement on their part, and not if it's due to extraordinary circumstances. I'm reserving my opinion for now...

I beg to differ about blaming Abisit for 2011... 2011 was because of mismanagement of the dams to keep a certain red province dry for an other rice harvist. In august they could have still drained the dams if you look at the graph. But they were told not to for the rice. So that is totally a government issue in their own party. It was not mother nature but the government that screwed up.

If they had managed the dams good it would have been far less. SO i put that one on their shoulders. Now 2011 was extra ordinary 2010 did not register even close.

Good that we agree about the fact that YL is responsible for this year because after the wake up call of 2011 they should have been far further with their plans. Problem is they wanted to do things behind closed door for extra graft and some people used the law to postpone the projects (and I agree). If they had done things for the country and not for their own pockets and kept it open they would have been much further. Stealing and skimming money is what causes this now in 2013

• Like 2

philw post # 13

Indeed it does increase the quality of ones life when one is flooded out that such fun games as dodge the scorpion and spot the snake become wet parlour games to help alleviate the misery and anger that being inundated with flood water brings upon one..

Perchance you have never experienced such fun?

I and my family and friends have and it is not such an amusing trivial past time as you may think.

Living in an ivory tower and making such inane comments as the one you have indeed identifies you as somewhat blinkered in your concept of the realities of day to day life for those who are suffering from the current flooding calamity yet again despite all the rhetoric emanating from the puppets that all is well and there are no problems

Perhaps a decent internet connection as opposed to messages in bottles might well help you to be better informed as to the current realities of the flood victims.

• Like 1

We're depressed. Not just because we'd just lost what we'd finished only three weeks before the flood.

We're depressed that the Thai authorities knew about the dodgy dams in Phoosing and Khuk Khan, but kept them full. They knew that those dams were built with shitty material and kept them full!

Not the rain had xaused the floods in lower northeast. It was ignorance, corruption and stupidity. A deadly mixture.-wai2.gif

• Like 2

Nooo!!! Nothing will happen!!! How many of the seven days are we into now? As soon as we hit the end of the seventh day, everything will just magically disappear and things will be like nothing ever happened, much less a flood. The water will just disappear, illnesses will just vanish and even the furniture you moved upstairs will be back in their original place on the ground floor, when you wake up on the morning of the eigth day.

The article says

"Forty one percent of the patients are suffering from athlete’s foot and thirty percent have body aches. The ministry also found that 616 out of 38,000 surveyed people are suffering from depression"

Come on now Philw are you trying to tell us that 616 out of 38,000 suffering from depression in a flood where possably they have lost all their assets is an unreasonable figure.

I would not be surprised if there wasn't more even with out the flood.

The ""Forty one percent of the patients are suffering from athlete’s foot and thirty percent have body aches" I can understand.

Having arthritis myself I realize that it is not always painful unless certain weather conditions occur which has happened here. As for the athlete’s foot Yes We had to buy the wife's son a boat in the last flood when he and his family took refuge at Don Mueang.

It5 never fails to amaze me the number of people willing to believe the dumbest thing because it comes from a PTPrerdshirt.

60,000 ill I wonder how many would be ill if there had not been a flood. I am sure the number of people in 24 provinces is quite high. The athletes foot figure makes sense the rest don't as I said flood or no flood the people had the arthritis they just don't feel it all the time.

2010 2011 could the government not see a pattern and take steps to alleviate some of the damage. Also remember the 2011 flood had it's beginnings under Abhist who did not have as unified a government as the PTPredshirt. But it was not Abhist government that opened a dam to contribute to the problem.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Over 50% with athlete's foot. I agree, who comes up with this absolute nonsense. Maybe more fool us for reading it ?

If I was a Thai, with a lousy, lying Thai government I would be depressed too

Isn't this an elected government, by the people?

Yes, just like our lousy, lying government in the USA is also "elected"--albeit mostly by the corporations and big money (the voter-lemmings just do what they're told in 3-second sound bites). And yes, it is depressing: a government that is a total embarrassment to its people; this we have in common with the Thai's--and so I share their pain in this regard.

Over 50% with athlete's foot. I agree, who comes up with this absolute nonsense. Maybe more fool us for reading it ?

I think they are trying to say that 50% are suffering from skin problems related to fungus, bacteria and chemicals in the flood waters.