Mother seeks safety advice for sons on motorbikes

Addonvalue

You should be fine in a 44/54- I'd make sure they'll refund/exchange. Note that bike jackets usually assume you'll be wearing gloves, so it's possible the sleeves might come up a bit short.

Here's a good video on measuring yourself for a motorcycle jacket- note I've dealt with Revzilla customer service people over the phone- they all ride, and they like their jackets super-tight- you might want to go a size larger than they suggest depending on how you're built- most of my jackets are tight at the shoulders and loose at the waist (though they come with adjustable straps to cinch them in a bit, which helps) as I'm not a good off-the-rack size:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EKpHuXy-Y

Cheers for that, we have a Honda big wing here so will have a look at what they have tomorrow!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. smile.png

Do you wear all the gear all the time on a short trip of say 2 Kms?

I don't do short bike trips, even for 2 kms, as that is not what I bought my bike for, but definitely what my SUV is for. I only go on long, planned rides or track days on my bike. Hence all my gear, all the time. smile.png

Okay my question is " if you suddenly decided to go on a small trip of 2 Kms or under( maybe to the shops, would you kit up in all your gear?

Yes the gear will go one. I'm not akin to laziness when I have to put my gear on. You can keeping asking the same question and I will keep giving you the same answer. smile.png

Edited by Garry
  • Like 2

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. Posted Image

I don't do short bike trips, even for 2 kms, as that is not what I bought my bike for, but definitely what my SUV is for. I only go on long, planned rides or track days on my bike. Hence all my gear, all the time. Posted Image
Okay my question is " if you suddenly decided to go on a small trip of 2 Kms or under( maybe to the shops, would you kit up in all your gear?

Yes the gear will go one. I'm not akin to laziness when I have to put my gear on. You can keeping asking the same question and I will keep giving you the same answer. Posted Image

I won't ask it again then! cheers

You guys have to watch this! It's hilarious if not so real....

Granted, it's by a newbie biker but it does expose alot of the dangers we face here in Bangkok. Like someone mentioned, you may drive safe, others around may just not be as conscious of safety -- theirs or yours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGd6pGA2K_M

That had some humorous moments in it for sure!

What I do is try to get to the front to not get caught in a gaggle of noobs on scooters. If their front tire is turned towards my bike I always scoot forward to get away from them so the can't collide with my ride. Never be the first off the line on a red light. Some people just hit it when the light turns green & forget the oncoming drivers rarely give a dam_n about the motorcycle as they zip through the red light. Toyota Vigos have got to be the worst offenders. It would be Volvo drivers if they were more popular here. In the 10 years here even on the online forums some of the big truck drivers would rather chase you down & put you in a compromised position. I am not sure but it seems they think that gives them the right to force uncontrolled road rage. People that ride bikes & own other vehicles are usually not a problem as they know it could easily be them on the receiving end. One of my recent posts about Bangkok drivers in Pattaya I mentioned(& forgot to state Thai Hi So's) said that he would rather chase bikes off the road & basically because he had 1st class insurance he could care less. One needs to not only pay attn to the road & all the surroundings but develop a 6th sense about the mental stability of the person next to you. Bangkok is a hairy place to drive for sure. When your older boy gets bored or overconfident on his 250 it is time for him to get a larger CC. bike. You always need to have a little fear & respect for what you are driving!

If you get to overconfident that is when you are most likely to get hit. The video did touch on the importance to expect the unexpected & as congested as Pattaya has become Bangkok is much more gnarly & you really need to watch everything. If your boys are feeling out of phase or sick better to ask them to pull over & take a break or just not go out that day. It could save their life by being wise over Macho.

And the last thing I would say about this clip, The rider absolutely did the right thing by laying the bike down. He still took a chance but a direct hit on either a t-bone or a rear ender is most likely gonna get you a whole lot more hurt.

Edited by Beardog

On a short ride, I will pass on my touring trousers and maybe swap my MX boots for steel-caps or touring boots, but gloves, jacket and bash-hat are not optional for me.

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. smile.png

I don't do short bike trips, even for 2 kms, as that is not what I bought my bike for, but definitely what my SUV is for. I only go on long, planned rides or track days on my bike. Hence all my gear, all the time. smile.png

If nobody here steps up on your point 3, I can connect you with local trainers who do private lessons and have been teaching for years, and speak English well enough.

I've been riding in Bangkok since 1994 (I think) and would not consider teaching bike skills - training is a skill, and I don't have it...

Note that the 320SP shop carries mostly fake reproductions of name brands. You can't get a real Alpinestars jacket for 2500 baht- the armor and safety stitching will be vastly inferior in comparison with the real thing.

As far as the back of the jacket goes, for most you need to buy a separate back protector if you want a higher level of protection.

Point 1: Oh, great. Thanks for the tip about 320sp -- guess I won't be going there. So I am thinking of having a friend in the US buy it and send it via a container of his other stuff or bring it personally. That being the case, if I am getting something from the US, what can I get -- suitable for Bangkok -- with adequate back protection -- without having to buy inserts or modifying it. I was recommended Joe Rocket from cyclegear, for the US$189 jacket. Anyone have suggestions of stuff in the US I can get for around US200 or less?

Point 2: Is it better to get good airflow light jacket and put in your own back inserts, for use here?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions about all the variables available.

Point 3: On another point, I checked with Honda Training for big bikes and it's only in Thai. Would anyone in Bangkok be wiling to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday -- we live by a large empty carpark -- and just share 'from the voice of experience' some safety pointers about big bikes? It'd be my two sons and one of their girlfriends who also rides a CBR 250. In return, beers and a barbeque -- food fest of some sort....??

I'm sure there are some seasoned hands in this forum who could help -- could be the first TV motorbike safety meet! Ha!

• Like 1

OK guys --- thank you for all your responses. Super helpful to see all the various perspectives!

The issue of helmets was probably mentioned in some earlier threads already but I was wondering:

1. Besides the FIT, what else should we be looking at in getting a real good HELMET,

2. Any recommended brands that will give the best protection, good air ventilation, good peripheral views...etc..?

If possible, include the price and the shops to get it?

Thanks soo much....

I can recommend the Bilmola helmet. They are Thai made helmets and they seem to be the analog of the Italian Nolan helmets.

I paid $500 for my Nolan modular helmet and the Bilmola Explorer is the exact same thing but for a fraction of a price.

http://www.bilmola.com/product/modular/index.php?pr=explorer/index.html

I haven't owned the Bilmola but I've read a lot of good on this site and my GF got one based on the recommendations.

They're in 2000-3000 baht range.

In the link above, click on Find Shop and look for the one near you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RubberSideDown, I see in your list you have AGV Sport Willow perforated leather pants. I am interest to buy this pant but not sure if it's so hot for bangkok. So I hope you can share your experience with these pants. If it's really gets hot , my second choice will be AGV Sport Telluride H2O Vented Pants. Thx in advance.

This is my current gear list (I'll add more stuff as new and interesting products are released or I can take advantage of a big sale)- I can mix and match depending on the riding situation and weather conditions- I take my gear seriously;):

Alpinestars Orbiter suit
Dainese Rebel perforated leather jacket
Dainese G. 3 Air textile jacket
Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket
AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket
Icon Stryker Rig armored mesh jacket
Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air textile jacket (awaiting)
AGV Sport Willow perforated leather pants
Teknic Chicane leather pants
Spidi Race Vent gloves
Knox Handroid gloves
Alpinestars Supertech R boots
Sidi Vortice vented boots
Shoei RF-1100
Shoei GT-Air
Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest
Oxford Bone-Dry rain suit made to go over leathers

For leather pants, the Willow perforated pants run cool, but only in comparison to other, similar pants (they're much better in that regard than my Teknic Chicane pants, which were similar in price). Most of the time, though, they'd be too hot for Bangkok traffic. As far as features and protection go, they're a great value.

I've never worn their Telluride pants, but if they're similar to the Alpinestars A10 pants (in the pics they look comparable), they would vent much better than leather and would be a better choice in traffic, IMHO.