Schools closed next year?

Today, I was told by my physician that next year ALL school will close from March (end of term) until August.

This would be needed to be in par with the schools of other countries at the ASEAN.

Has anybody heard of this?

Is this a hoax?

It is true that Thai universities are moving towards a western style calendar year as part of ASEAN cooperation and to facilitate cross studies and sabbaticals within ASEAN and with the western universities. It will happen although it keeps getting delayed. When it does happen, Thai students will all have a one time six month "summer vacation". I am uncertain as to whether this will also apply to Thai secondary and primary schools.

It is true that Thai universities are moving towards a western style calendar year as part of ASEAN cooperation and to facilitate cross studies and sabbaticals within ASEAN and with the western universities. It will happen although it keeps getting delayed. When it does happen, Thai students will all have a one time six month "summer vacation". I am uncertain as to whether this will also apply to Thai secondary and primary schools.

six month "summer vacation"thumbsup.gif

No wonder there are so many English teachers in Thailandbiggrin.png

CCC

The issue was decided by the government when it agreed to have an ASEAN standard school year. The teachers and officials are only discussing how long they can delay the inevitable as the teachers and staff may have three months of unpaid time. My daughter, who attends a Thai university and who often interacts with the upper administration, comes home next week and might have some insight to pass along. And next month I will be meeting up with a long time friend I have known since graduate school days who is now a VP at a large Thai university and perhaps I can glean some insight to pass along.

CCC

But there will be much less once this extended holiday happens, because I have such a feeling that they will miss out on the holiday compensation. smile.png

CCC

But there will be much less once this extended holiday happens, because I have such a feeling that they will miss out on the holiday compensation. smile.png

I predict a surge in divers in the future.biggrin.png

CCC

CCC

I predict a surge in divers in the future.biggrin.png

CCC

Diving schools in Isaan laugh.png Or did you mean balcony divers ?

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

CCC

Some people are on one-year contracts, so, good for them ^^

I dont understand why they are making this soo difficult. The problem seems to be teachers without work and students with no where to go. Why not have a one time special (much needed) school semester that reviews the concepts the students have had difficulty grasping. More than likely this is going to happen unofficially anyway so just make it non-compulsory and let students/parents choose the area of study for those months. If a student needs help in Math or Science then they take those, if they need help in languages they can take intensive classes or if they are gifted academically let them take P/E courses.

semester Nov-Feb

Normal break March-April

Special semester- May/June

Start new calendar- Aug-

Problem solved, now wheres my beer?

Once the change happens it will be much better for students and for foreign staff associated with Thai schools because the holiday periods will be the same as in Europe and staff can take their holidays at appropriate times of the year instead of right now in the rainy season laugh.png