Extended school holiday next year ?

David48

On the grapevine, I heard that there might be an extended school holiday (because of ASEAN?) next year starting in about March.

Holiday might even be 6 months long ... ???

Before I ask this question more generally, maybe there has been a news item along these lines?

Can you point me in that direction?

I have inquired elsewhere and was directed to ask you guys ... quite logical in hindsight.

All Bar Stool banter, so I want to get the Facts from you guys.

Cheers

David48 cowboy.gif

yeah, universities start their FIRST semester in August / September in 2014. for Thai curriculums, the semester used to start in June. for international curriculums, already adjusting to August in some university.

having said that, the end of the second semester in 2015 will also be extended into April. the hottest month of the year, but no holiday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/579945-thai-universities-agree-to-start-academic-year-later-from-2014/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Universities-agree-to-push-back-start-of-academic--30175289.html

• Like 1

I think the 6 months might refer to students finishing high school - usually in late February (the old schedule) and then starting university (on the new schedule) in late August - early September. If this happens it won't affect teachers, as different teachers will be teaching high school and university.

• Like 1

Inquired with head of our language dept this week (fl, ep, mep & ip programs) and she was told no decisions have been finalized. All the Thai teachers have been advised to be ready to go May 1, 2556.

Government school with foreign language departments.

• Like 1

Well just check your new contracts to make sure of any changes and also if you will be paid if there is an extended holiday. I am guessing that many people maybe scammed out of money or given a shitty new contract that basically states that there will be no pay because of the long break. We will have to see how it unfolds.

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing new and I would not expect any resolution. The society is structured in such a way that someone further up the food-chain can always say something and it will happen. So everything could change with a new Minister, or someone higher than the minister casually saying it should change.

• Like 1

There was a news article posted in the forum here which said the powers which be had decided to keep the high school and primary school terms as is, and that new university students could just enjoy a long holiday before they started university.

I'm on my phone so can't easily find the article, but someone should be able to link it :)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

There was a news article posted in the forum here which said the powers which be had decided to keep the high school and primary school terms as is, and that new university students could just enjoy a long holiday before they started university.

I'm on my phone so can't easily find the article, but someone should be able to link it smile.png

My son said something similar. He is due to start university next year and so is looking forward to his gap 'half year' already!

This change applies to universities only. At my school, there has been an official announcement.

Semester 1

Classes Start: August 4th, 2014

Midterm Exams: Sept 29 to Oct 4

Final Exams: Nov 24 to Dec 6

Christmas Vacation: Dec 22 to Jan 4, 2015

Semester 2

Classes start: Jan 5, 2015

Midterm Exam: Mar 2 to Mar 4

Songran Vacation: Apr 11 to Apr 19

Final Exams: May 4 to May 16

Semester 3 (Summer School)

Classes start: Jun 2, 2015

Midterm Exam: Jun 22 to Jun 24

Final Exam: Jul 13 to Jul 18

post-19457-0-49941700-1382145349_thumb.j

• Like 1

Newatthis,

As the story says from your link, it only applies to Vocational schools and schools under the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC). Universities in Thailand are not Vocational schools and they don't fall under the Office of Basic Education Commission. However, I'm not sure if the opening post is asking about universities or schools under the Office of Basic Education Commission. Universities will change to August. OBEC schools will not....at least not yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

my school will end contract on March 31, 2014, and won't renew because they don't want to pay for 2 months salary... (which seems to be April/May)... and then renew for the next school year... it is a government school.

Edited by cmiuc

my school will end contract on March 31, 2014, and won't renew because they don't want to pay for 2 months salary... (which seems to be April/May)...  and then renew for the next school year... it is a government school.

That kinda sucks, maybe ask them to write a contract for you which specifies that you won't be paid from the 1st of April until the start of the term. That'll at least allow you to extend your visa/work permit (and if you signed on with the school expecting to be paid during the holiday period, you can also look into changing employers)