Can I switch networks from AIS PAYG and keep same number

roly

Not sure whether they've heard of number portability here in Thailand, but I'm considering moving to another PAYG network, and would prefer to keep the same number if possible. If not, it's not a biggie. Any idea if this is possible? I would just go and ask at the shop but I'm away for 2 weeks at the moment....

The reason for doing so is that I'm using the 550 baht (or thereabouts) top-up Internet package on AIS (just pay every month at the 7-11 or wherever) - I switched from the 790 baht one. On the way to the airport last week, I couldn't receive more than 200 kbps download speed ANYWHERE - I think somehow either I've switched to the wrong package inadvertently, or there's some other technical reason. Everyone tells me that DTAC is however superior, so that might just be the easiest option (I live in Hua Hin, so I ought to also check out the 3G coverage on both).

R

First step for MNP is to go to an AIS store with your passport to make sure you are registered with that passport in their computer system. If you are not registered, or have an old passport number in there, no other carrier can get your account. Also, make sure you don't have any outstanding balance owing.

Then go to DTAC (or True, or whomever) with your phone and passport. They will have you fill out a form (or, in my experience at True, they will fill it out for you) and sign it. They will enter you into their system, give you a new SIM and advise you it will take around 3 days to complete. With your AIS SIM still in your phone, wait for "No Signal" around day #3, and then swap SIMs. Shortly thereafter DTAC should be shown as your connected network, and you are good to go.

MNP is very common these days in Thailand, but it's easy to derail the process unintentionally, like by not having your current passport number in the AIS system.

FWIW, I lived in Hua Hin for 2.5 years (up until the end of last month) and had excellent coverage and service from TrueMove-H 3G. I found the staff at True shop at Market Village to be very helpful and friendly, with good English. The True shop on P'Road around Soi 70 not so much...

The fee for MNP is now 29 baht.

You will lose any remaining pre-paid balance.

This TrueMove H web-page describes the process: http://truemoveh.digitalcampaignsite.com/v2/en/mnp_whatis.aspx

Suggest the OP's may want to try AIS/2100 MHz 3G first, as I suspect they are running into issues re: existing 900 MHz 3G, either due to incompatibilities with the phone or spectrum/contention issues. They should speak with AIS to make the switch to AWN (AIS's 2100 MHz 3G subsidiary) and possibly get a new/modern SIM, while keeping the same number, of course.

I'd always recommend trying other service providers first, by using a 50 baht SIM and possibly a daily/weekly/monthly plan to evaluate the service provider before switching.

Edited by lomatopo