river kwai trips/transport

allyoops

[quote name="hellodolly" post="6931667"

The bridge itself was just a rail toad bridge probably didn't take that long to build it. I am told it is not the original one any how.

Edit

GD spelling

It is the real bridge!

The bridge standing today was the second built at K'buri and was brought to Thailand from Java by the Japanese. They had already built a timber bridge that was used while construction of the second was under way. Both were regularly bombed by the allies during the latter stages of the war and damage can still be seen on the original metal spans of the remaining bridge.

A visit must include a trip on the railway over the Wampo viaduct and on to Namtok where you can get a bus on to Hellfire Pass. The last time I travelled on it I think we payed over 300 B on the outward trip on a train full of tourists but only around 10 on the way back because the tourists on their organised tours had got off to return by road leaving the train to the Thais.

The cemeteries were not built by the Australians. Of the two in K'buri the most moving is at Chunkai over the river and the site of the original hospital camp burial ground. I think there may be a reciprocal arrangement in place with the UK where Australia manages cemeteries in Asia and the UK looks after Australian graves in Europe and Africa but don't quote me.

The Japanese interpretor in the book and soon to be released film, The Railway Man worked for the allied team recovering POW bodies from the up country railway construction camps for re burial in the three Commonwealth cemeteries on the railway after the Jap surrender.

Further to what tahaan says, regarding the age of the bridges take a look at the bridge in the right of the black & white photo in cpofc's excellent post (#11) & compare it with the bridge in the photo I posted #18, same bridge!

As said before no trip will be complete without a short ride on the railway over the viaducts, again see photo on post #18

On the 500 meter long tourist strip in K-Buri, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a tourist agency. Then there's another km with agencies every 50 meters.

I'd recommend picking your accommodation by its own merits, then making a separate decision on the tour agency. Just 'cause they have good rooms doesn't mean they do good tours. (though they often do)

Google Kanchanaburi, look at the zillion tourist websites, pick the attractions you want to see, then take a walk down the strip to browse the brochures for the best package for your tastes.