Portable GPS To Track Son's Trip

AryanicAristocrat

Hi, Need help urgently. My adopted son will be going on a car trip tomorrow upcountry ie Chiangrai. I want to know if there is any portable GPs device that I can buy and leave it in the car without any complicated set ups and that I can know at any point where they are either on my computer screen or laptop. Please advise if there is such a device and where can I buy it in Bangkok and roughly how much. Just being a concerend parent and its being done with his knowledge. Many Thanks.

Latitude is no longer. It's been rolled into Google+ (need to turn on tracking history).

If you have an Apple iPhone or Android phone you can use the built-in software to track the device real-time if it's on a Data Contract. [security | Device Administrators | Android Device Manager ] Then use a browser pointed to www.google.com/android/devicemanager
If you can't login to the account, an alternative would be to use Google+ circles and have the account share its location.
A third alternative would be to download an app that uses sms to receive requests to send the current GPS location back via sms. The downside is battery life of the phone if its not being charged.

Though I don't have them, some of the TV bikers have installed GPS trackers into the frames of their bikes so they can track them in the event someone strolls off with them. These devices are very small, can be hidden, and use very little battery. A search TV for GPS trackers should give you a list of threads where posters have listed shops in BK or Patts.

They sell car gps trackers pretty cheap on China (30-50 usd), but I expect they should be expensive here.

Perhaps buy one from chinavasion.com with ups expedited quick delivery (my order came in 24 hours with UPS before) and have it installed to your car with some car audio shop.

It needs AIS 2G sim card with some data package, then you can track it anywhere.

I think the best way of doing it has already been suggested...

Use an Android phone and use google tracking, or an iphone and use findmyiphone webpage..

There are also GPS trackers available for around 4000 baht which accept a sim card and you text the sim card and it replies with a link to google maps showing the exact location.

Hi, Need help urgently. My adopted son will be going on a car trip tomorrow upcountry ie Chiangrai. I want to know if there is any portable GPs device that I can buy and leave it in the car without any complicated set ups and that I can know at any point where they are either on my computer screen or laptop. Please advise if there is such a device and where can I buy it in Bangkok and roughly how much. Just being a concerend parent and its being done with his knowledge. Many Thanks.

Don't you need the special GPS tracker?

You know the adapted for when your "son" is seen visiting "his friend" rather regularly?

The one that is exploded automatically by your "son" pulling into any pre-coordinated 24hr hotel?

ps sorry if I'm being thick here I use a Lumia 625 didn't think to check if it had GPS whcih it doesn't.

I would like to coordinate kayak trips between myself and friend in kayaks and our shuttle driver. So if we have to pull out and need her to come we can send our location......but based on the phone signal?

Thanks!

Edited by cheeryble