Bangkok's Don Mueang airport readies for floods

webfact

One can only but suppose that the current ditty on Plods and Yingluck's lips is, ''We're Going to Wash that Airport right out of the Town."wai.gif

Edited by siampolee

So they have built flood defences to keep DM operational. Since the area surrounding the airport is generally at a lower level than the airport itself, and therefore in the event that the flood barrier is required to keep the water out, has anyone given any thought as to HOW the passengers are going to get to and from the airport, since the roads surrounding it will be impassable?

Helicopters, levitation, powerful amulets?

I took this on my return from Bang Pahan on 5 Nov 2011. You can see the engines are partially submerged.

Many of the large aircraft parked at DM during the flood were decommissioned and had already been stripped of their engines before the flood.

Thanks for the answers/comments on the question I posed above about the article's mention of planes at DM having to be scrapped after the 2011 flooding.

That photo is very interesting... I didn't realize the water at DM had risen high enough to reach the lower levels of under-wing jet engine housings... The DM flood photos I'd seen in the past apparently came from a time when the water was lower, just covering tires and such.

I don't know what exactly happened with the planes at DM.... But I was viewing a video recently of one of the airplane graveyards up in the high desert area outside Los Angeles, and they had big 747s and 767s sitting there intact still with their carrier logos and paint showing....

But I noted the engine housings were empty, and apparently the actual engines themselves had been removed from the jets. I guess they had some ongoing use, even if the jets themselves didn't.

So if this area floods again like it did in 2011, I would imagine the flood waters would now be even worse to the locals living outside this flood barrier. DM airport was also an emergency shelter for many(hundreds) local residents. Where would they go now in the event of another flood?

If it gets to Don meaung it will be a complete catastrophe.