American returning to the U.S.A. with nothing..?

It seem yours and my situation are not balance world.

Hope this is useful data for any expat in Thailand

ISSUE; BUY HOUSE IN THAILAND

Posted 2013-10-04 11:24:37

I have my own story to share about buy a house in Thailand. Now I am Thai 47 years. In 2003 when I was unemployed from Trading company because of the company need to get out from Thailand and do relocate in China after China in WTO in 2000. My friend who is a nurse in Bangkok hospital ask me to work as a Caretaker for 71 years American (he went under L-spine surgery for 5 of them need one year continue rehab and caring) he did trading business in Thailand and living apart from his Chinese American wife in Cal. But a year later in 2004 we became a couple and his Chinese wife in Cal know it but she is ok because she said he need a caretaker. In 2004 he set up a company just for suppose of buying a house for 100,000USD. or 4 million THB then. We were together until April 2013. He got very sick and his Chinese/American son came to Thailand and put him in Nursing Care in Bangkok locate nearby our house and his son cut me out from him also his son apply to be SS Rep Payee to get his benefit from US SS office and transfer payment to Nursing Care direct from Cal. His son wants to get 50% of shareholder for house ownership. Under Thai law to set up a company you must have at least 3 shareholders and 51% must be Thai so I am that 51% and he is 49% lawyer 1%. I am entailed to a company asset and a son entailed to nothing as long as his father life. When father pass away 48% shareholder must be transfer to his son but practical is not an issue because everything must have my signature since I am only authorizes Managing Director in a company. I am a Managing Director of a company.

Posted 2013-10-04 11:37:48

His son cannot do anything without my signature. I offer to his son I want to sell a house and 50% to him and to me. But I need to get a legal paper between his father and me in Thailand. I want to come to visit his father as long as he is living in nursing care in Bangkok (he cannot walk and lost memory from Alzheimer disease he is 81) his son instructed a nursing home do not let me come to see him. So I want his son to let me replace him and be a SS Rep Payee for him. Because I am not married him and he did not divorce. But his son gets me out from his father and I get his asset in Thailand. His son is very angry to me but he cannot do anything unless he let me see his farther as a Rep Payee. Then I will sign a paper for selling a house for him. Hope this is useful data for any expat here in Thailand.

Correct I am not legal wife and have no rights to see him. But I am a major shareholder in a company. And only one Managing Director from day one that set up a company for buying a house.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Oregon, it is cheaper. Easy to get a DL. e=mail a UPS store and rent a box for about 10 dollars per month. Now you have an address with a street name on it. Do it in Gold Beach or close to the Ca. state line. Do it in spring, it is cold now. Must have a CC to rent a car they will not accept a debit card and you must have a DL. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about yet another foreigner scammed out of his money by a thai lady. Hope you sort it all out and learn something out of this.

To make a long story short, she had a Thai boyfriend the entire time we were together and admitted it when I caught or shall we say stumbled upon them in a short time motel over across 3rd road. At least it was a quick and easy parting of ways and money. It was the motorcycle I'd bought her for her birthday parked behind the curtain which for some reason made matters seem very sad and realistic at the same time.

should we ask what you were doing at said motel?

sorry to hear about your losses, next time your hear buy a condo in your name or make sure the house has a hefty mortgage that she cannot handle on her own.

I have heard here and elsewhere that if you can prove you paid for the house, you can take legal action to sell it and get your money back. Anyone care to fill that bit in? My wife cheated me also, but I made sure it was not for more than I could afford to lose. Like going to Vegas here. Good luck, and hope you learned alot with the expensive education you got.

When you purchase a house now in Thailand

you must sign paperwork to say you have no legal rights to the property

the property belongs to her

Because of this I purchased a Condo instead of a house

she purchased a 1 way ticket to another mans bed

and he bought them......... opps sorry her a house

I'm going to skip political commentary etc...

and try to help give you some straight talk.

If you're coming back, you are landing at SFO (?)

Head to San Francisco. They've got plenty of programs for the broke and homeless, even handing out cash without need of proot of insurance. The weather is mild and it shouldn't take much to either get into a shelter or get a few things together to try living on the street. You can eat free once a day at St. Anthony's Dining Hall near Market Street. Glide Memorial gives out groceries from time to time and especially at Thanksgiving.

It's not hard to make enough to physically survive, but you'll have to work up to a SRO to have an address and try to rebuild your life.

Good luck.

should we ask what you were doing at said motel?

sorry to hear about your losses, next time your hear buy a condo in your name or make sure the house has a hefty mortgage that she cannot handle on her own.

Actually, being honest, I followed her(and her boyfriend) after spotting them on Third Road. They pulled in said motel and I lurked back so as of course, not to be seen? Then I went in and found the bike parked behind a sort of curtain on wheels. No to your instant thought, I wasn't there with another lady(or guy). Besides that, Thai women expect their farang men to fool around so I was told, especially after they buy a house for her and her family.

In general to the other replies, first let's say thank you. Please note I'm not destitute yet and have some money left. I think it's better to plan ahead for things such as food stamps and HUD housing etc.. Renting a car/van/camper allows someone to find suitable housing. Unlike here, you don't find rooms for rent for $200.usd a month with AC and furnished etc.. You have to look around. At my age I don't want roommates and want security or a safe place. So it's not arriving "homeless", just planning on the expected result. That seems more responsible than just flying back and presenting yourself at a shelter unbathed and broke.

I'll try Alamo as suggested by a couple of people. My Debit card isn't drained. I'm surprised to learn of the electron usage online. My Thai bank is K.Thai, the blue Government one.

Overall, as the saying goes, first time, shame on her. This being the second time, shame on me. I'm tired of Thai women and paying "whores" as well as all the drunkards along Soi Bouikow and 2nd Road. Living in Essarn has no appeal to me.

The time has come to go back and die in peace where I belong.

ps: No family or friends who I could use an address of. Arrival with a suitcase and a little cash. No work skills which would apply and in poor health as well. When you take away a "free" place to live you might be surprised how quickly money goes even here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about yet another foreigner scammed out of his money by a thai lady. Hope you sort it all out and learn something out of this.

To make a long story short, she had a Thai boyfriend the entire time we were together and admitted it when I caught or shall we say stumbled upon them in a short time motel over across 3rd road. At least it was a quick and easy parting of ways and money. It was the motorcycle I'd bought her for her birthday parked behind the curtain which for some reason made matters seem very sad and realistic at the same time.

I don't want to be completely heartless and cruel, but...

Every time I read a story like this (there are so many) it seems to beg the question --

"Why are farangs, civilized and educated as they may be, so hopelessly gullible that

they allow an uneducated bar girl to relieve them of all their worldly possessions?"

It really boggles the mind... sick.gif

Nope its not the fault of the male. Check this does not happen to women very often. Its a known sales tactic provide a picture of a woman less cloethes the better to get men to buy. Basically an aroused man becomes more stupid. Its not your fault if you are a man.

I tell this to the wife but .....

Maybe your "quick and easy parting of ways and money" was a little too quick, without giving enough thought to your future, or hers for that matter.

My advice is not to worry about the Thai boyfriend. If she wants a bit on the side, let her have it without argument. One day, she just might turn out to be the perfect partner you thought you had before you "stumbled upon them" in the short time room.

Famous last words or food for thought, I'm not sure which? However, suffice to say I don't even "like" her any more. I'm not living in the house, I assume but don't know others are or she rented it. I don't care about her or the money lost/gone or her problems past, present, or future. We don't have children together and her two have never lived here in Pattaya. It's behind me. I'm going back home as I said, to die where I belong. I won't even say good-bye to her. You won't win, you're in Thailand. Best to walk away from it IMHO.

• Like 2

Another victim....
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Right, it's only money but it makes life a hell of a lot more difficult without it, not to mention the humiliation that goes with that.
You have all my sympathy. Message for her or the two that scammed you..
I would rather not mention it here.
Good luck and hope you find your feet soon enough. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear your story. Won't be the last, I'd guess. You can apply for an International permit, in Chonburi( now in all provinces, before only available in Bkk. )

Unfortunately, most sad stories appear to happen in the capital and places like Pattaya. I couldn't really go back to Europe and leave my family here. I'd have welfare, a house,money for clothes,and they'd give me a helping hand to find a job.

Thus isn't possible in such a nation like yours, as they spent more money on their Army and other useless stuff. They should help all their people first.

But that's not the biggest problem, I'd guess. The biggest problem would be to miss what I'm already used to.

Wish you the best, a good start and good luck!-wai2.gif

I have just deleted a whole load of completely off topic posts.

OP does not want to hear your political commentary but is asking for ADVICE.

If you can't stay on topic then please don't post

• Like 1

Why do you say you have no USA address? There is an address shown in your passport, and if for some reason that cannot be used, you should have a domicile. Have you tried checking with the relevant authorities in the USA? Have you contacted the U.S. Embassy in Thailand?

If you renewed your passport in Thailand, your Thai address will be your address of record. FWIW, my passport shows no address info in it at all.

I have my own story to share about buy a house in Thailand. Now I am Thai 47 years. In 2003 when I was unemployed from Trading company because of the company need to get out from Thailand and do relocate in China after China in WTO in 2000. My friend who is a nurse in Bangkok hospital ask me to work as a Caretaker for 71 years American (he went under L-spine surgery for 5 of them need one year continue rehab and caring) he did trading business in Thailand and living apart from his Chinese American wife in Cal. But a year later in 2004 we became a couple and his Chinese wife in Cal know it but she is ok because she said he need a caretaker. In 2004 he set up a company just for suppose of buying a house for 100,000USD. or 4 million THB then. We were together until April 2013. He got very sick and his Chinese/American son came to Thailand and put him in Nursing Care in Bangkok locate nearby our house and his son cut me out from him also his son apply to be SS Rep Payee to get his benefit from US SS office and transfer payment to Nursing Care direct from Cal. His son wants to get 50% of shareholder for house ownership. Under Thai law to set up a company you must have at least 3 shareholders and 51% must be Thai so I am that 51% and he is 49% lawyer 1%. I am entailed to a company asset and a son entailed to nothing as long as his father life. When father pass away 48% shareholder must be transfer to his son but practical is not an issue because everything must have my signature since I am only authorizes Managing Director in a company. I am a Managing Director of a company.

His son cannot do anything without my signature. I offer to his son I want to sell a house and 50% to him and to me. But I need to get a legal paper between his father and me in Thailand. I want to come to visit his father as long as he is living in nursing care in Bangkok (he cannot walk and lost memory from Alzheimer disease he is 81) his son instructed a nursing home do not let me come to see him. So I want his son to let me replace him and be a SS Rep Payee for him. Because I am not married him and he did not divorce. But his son gets me out from his father and I get his asset in Thailand. His son is very angry to me but he cannot do anything unless he let me see his farther as a Rep Payee. Then I will sign a paper for selling a house for him. Hope this is useful data for any expat here in Thailand.

Correct I am not legal wife and have no rights to see him. But I am a major shareholder in a company. And only one Managing Director from day one that set up a company for buying a house.

Wow. Thats quite a story.

So, were you lovers? In a committed relationship? or was it a business arrangement, pure and simple. You weren't married to him. The son has a mother who was married to him.

If you were cheating with him while he was married, which it sounds like, maybe you should understand the son's point of view and sell the assets and give him the majority, since it was his fathers money, not yours.

• Like 1

Different states have different residency requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps, etc. Some you have to be a resident for 6 months, for instance.

There are forums online for people who try to beat the system. They know all of the tricks including which state is best. I would do my homework there before I left LOS.

Don't forget that every town of any size has a shelter, and many churches serve free lunches. The shelters usually have a time limit, but once you hit one you'll meet lots of guys who know how to survive and where to go next. The shelters will provide food, and bed, and laundry, and even clothes if you need them.

Start with something like a gospel mission rather than the Salvation Army. The SA has gotten greedy but if you check into a GM all you need is to talk to the guys and start learning the ropes. They get around without cars or jobs and make a lifestyle out of it.

Don't show up under the influence or with any such items with you. You'll be checked and kicked out.

I donate regularly to our local GM because they do a lot of good. I also go there to hire day workers for bigger jobs around my place. Always nice guys and hard workers, but they are hand picked by the mission for me. A lot of people go there to find workers so it's a good place to hang out in the morning early.

"Different states have different residency requirements for things like Medicaid and food stamps ..."

I always maintained a legal address in Illinois even though I don't pay Illinois taxes, but I still vote based on my last address there. Twice I went back and did post grad degrees at the U of I and was charged in-state tuition. Never did things like Medicaid, food stamps and such.

Of course that was back in the days when Illinois wasn't teetering on the brink of bankruptcy ( or at least no one noticed). Things could be more restricted these days and, as you say, it varies from state to state. I expect women, children, the handicapped and the elderly will generate a moderately more sympathetic response than a single, able-bodied male ... not that sympathy should be a factor.

U need usually a international Thai driver license to drive in USA. it s good for 6 months only. After you need a USA driver license.

Very easy to get at the transport department. It used to cost Bt500 and all you need is yourThai Driving Licence and it is valid in all countries except the country of issue i.e. Thailand. The last time I got one it was valid for one year

More info. When it was a few months while I was his caretaker I was looking for job to go back to work in trading companies in Thailand. And I got it a few months later. I was prepare to leave them I even discuss with his wife and his son. An old man said he is better live in Thailand because it will be too expensive to live in U.S. and he need me not his wife to live with him in Thailand. Wife accepted as long as he make commission from his Agent to Thai manufactures and earn enough income to give his wife 10,000USD per month. Anyways, his Chinese/American son even said to me his father need me not his Mom to be in Thailand. The bottom line is " see a son email. about a house" I post it on this topic for a purpose to tell a farang do not buy a house buy a condo under farang own name is my advise.

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 12:39:49 -0800

Subject: Re: California is a no fault divorce state - default judgment

Ya,

If my mom divorces my dad, then she loses all social security benefits that she is entitled to. We already had this discussion that after my father passes on, you will get the house and we will not interfere.

For you to ask my mom to divorce my dad is selfish and unfair. Both you and my father made the choice together to live the life that you guys are living. Don't bring my mom into this. I hope you understand this.

Shane

Wow. Thats quite a story.

So, were you lovers? In a committed relationship? or was it a business arrangement, pure and simple. You weren't married to him. The son has a mother who was married to him.

If you were cheating with him while he was married, which it sounds like, maybe you should understand the son's point of view and sell the assets and give him the majority, since it was his fathers money, not yours.

If it's any consolation to you my friend,whether or not you hear or witness it,mark my words her good deeds will be repaid to her with interest.As you said it's only money,and at least you haven't been physically hurt.You can also thank God you come from a country where you at least have a chance of earning back what you lost.

I wish you all the very best for your future.

If its true forgive my post. If you can prove that you brought money into the country and that money was used to buy the house you have a better than a 80% chance of getting money back. If such a case is taken to court your ex must prove where she got the money from, which she cant but you can. In the worst case you could loose 50% if you entered into a common law marriage. Its an urban legend that you cant get your money back in cases like this, you need a good attorney and thus money. You only mentioned a house, how did you live without money? No mention of her stealing your money only the house? You must have a bank account from where money was drawn or transfered to pay for the house? So many times the same story that dont ring true.

• Like 2

As you so wisely said, "It's only money" and that's all you've lost. When I said I had bought a house for my Thai girlfriend, my friends in the UK panicked "what if she leaves you, you'll lose everything"... to which my reply was "I have two ex-wives who live in two very nice houses, at least this one only cost me £25k.

If that's the way she was - smile she's done you a favour, you may be skint - but you're free and your own man. Choc Dee.

This is so utterly appalling that I don't even know where to start. Wow! Ok for starters ughh, I'd like to chat with you through email but for the sake of this forum and your post...

Presumably you have thrown up your hands on this issue, accepted a loss, have a return ticket to "LAX" and ready to go...

First I ask you about your family and friends in the USA... Are there any? Where did you grow up? What area is comfortable for you to restart life? Health benefits, food stamps, emergency housing/shelter, job placement is available in almost every city in every state. Food stamps can be issued almost immediately on emergency cases. Many churches and Salvation Armies can offer assistance as well.

You have no address? Where did you last live? Relative, friend? What was your last job in the USA so you could afford a plane ticket to Thailand? Where was your last drivers license and how long has it been expired? What is your skilled trade/field or work background? Renting a mini-van, camper is certainly out of the question as I assume you are wanting to live in it. Forget that idea of independence and trying to survive on your own as we all know pride comes at a hefty price. Let others help you who are there and wanting to help YOU instead of to what you have.

>Myself, aside from having maybe 1 relative and ehhh I'd say 3 people I could go to when my world comes to an end, I currently have no address. Sure I keep my licenses' valid in Pennsylvania and Florida but I maintain a UPS Store mailbox in Georgia near one of my friends houses who checks random mail. A UPS Store is a physical address verses a PO Box. There are more advantages to a UPS Store mailbox being that you can get things directly shipped (FedEx/UPS/DHL) whereas a PO Box you can not get a package shipped too and also credit card companies won't ship to a PO Box. Also since the UPS Store mailbox is a physical address you can have that on your license or even run a business out of a mailbox. There is nothing illegal about wanting to "fly under the radar" or big brother and that's what I have been doing the last 15 years when I realized where things were heading in the USA. NOBODY needs to know where "you lay your head down to sleep at night" (residential address), its none of their business. In the USA, public information is very very easily obtained on anyone simply by googling them or searching city/state public data bases. Anyone who has a gripe or score to settle will then find you. Paranoid? Hardly, I'm smart and protecting myself from everything you see and read about everyday.

*Only disadvantage to a UPS Store mailbox is that sometimes when your credit is run and you are trying to get credit, it comes up as a business address instead of residential and creates a flag. You may be asked...

There are many many things to go over with what you have asked and your situation. It's difficult to answer everything without a more detailed profile of who you are and your circumstances.

You have presented a situation like an alien parachuting into LAX without a clue. There has to be a lot more here if this post is even real. May I ask your age for starters...?

• Like 1

I'll try Alamo as suggested by a couple of people. My Debit card isn't drained. I'm surprised to learn of the electron usage online. My Thai bank is K.Thai, the blue Government one.

Does your bank card have a "visa" on it? I ask because my Thai bank card does, even though I've never used it as a credit card.

How old are you? Do you qualify for social security? I don't know how long you've been out of the USA, but it may be a bit of a culture shock for you. Anyways, you're doing the right thing. A foreigner in Thailand who's down on his luck has a much better chance to succeed back home.

Now let me get this straight she took a house and a motorcycle from you. Yet left you with enough money to get a plane ticket to home where ever that is.

If that was all the money you had and no more coming in how did you figure on supporting her when that little bit ran out. I believe there is more to it thasn you are letting on.

I found another thread about the driving issue with varied opinions.

The credit card is another major issue. I have a debit card(VISA) but when I left most rental car companies didn't accept debit cards....FYI, Thai electron VISA cards aren't accepted for online purchases either.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671969-american-with-expired-us-drivers-license-but-have-thai-dl/

Maybe this is good news for you. When I arrived in Texas I had an expired version of a Visa credit card. Nationwide would not accept that.

I had a Bank of America Debit card. They accepted that if I had a foreign driver's license.I have a Thai driver's license.

That was their policy. I don't know if it's good with all rental companies.

I guess I had enough money in the account for them to block my monthly rental.

I picked up my car and was a happy camper.

You will probably have to give a contact address and maybe a phone number.

That's my story. p.s. I came back to Thailand as fast as I could; still better here with caution and having some street smarts doesn't hurt.

Why do you say you have no USA address? There is an address shown in your passport, and if for some reason that cannot be used, you should have a domicile. Have you tried checking with the relevant authorities in the USA? Have you contacted the U.S. Embassy in Thailand?

The US Embassy is kinder to their citizens than other countries. But they might want a little more information than has been given. Also if he was so broke how did he afford to live here with all the Visa runs he had to do.

Your Thai license is good in California without getting the International Driver's Permit (IDP) for it. Easily verified on the California DMV website. Without a credit card though you're out of luck renting a car although you might look for one of the rent-a-wreck places that rent crappy but serviceable cars.

Actually, if California's new law about DL's passes their legislature and is signed into law, YOU can be an illegal from anywhere and get a DL! That means no passport, visa, former expired DLw00t.gif and you can still drive LEGALLY.

I really think you should talk to a lawyer before you bail and write off everything.

My wife, a Thai lawyer, handles situations like this quite often and usually has some good tactics for recovery of at least some of your assets.

Most lawyers will give you the first consult for free. At least you'll know where you stand legally and it won't cost you anything.

(I'm not saying you should hire her. Her office is in Korat. You need someone local.)