Glass wall planned at Suvarnabhumi Airport to prevent suicide attempts

webfact

SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT
Glass wall planned at airport to prevent suicide attempts

The Nation

30216585-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand has allocated a budget of Bt30 million to build a glass wall at Suvarnabhumi Airport to prevent suicide attempts.

Rawewan Netrakavesna, general manager of the airport said the wall would be built on the fourth floor of the departure lounge, according to Thai Rath online.

"During the five months I have been in this position, three suicide attempts have been made from the fourth floor," she said.

The last case involved a foreigner who was drunk, she said. However, she did not mention whether or not the attempt had been successful. Such stories were tarnishing the image of the Suvaranbhumi Airport, she said.

Most of those who have tried to take their lives have jumped from the fourth to the first floor near Gates 7-10, she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-08

A million dollars to prevent jumpers, one suspects its $100 for the net and the rest in someones pocket, further knowing swampy pretty well, were the h*ll are these people jumping from to kill themselves besides wouldnt have thought the terminal is high enough to be sucessful

Just think what the cost would have been had any attempts been successful.

If I were a gambling man, I may put a wager that some part of the building plans were not followed/left out. Another look see for the government oversight groups who seem to be MIA recently.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing to string some decorative netting across the area? All this penning us in to save us from ourselves is getting a bit tiresome.

"Decorative netting" wouldn't pen us in? Hang on, that's the idea isn't it?

5 minutes in that place and people start thinking about suicide.  It is an extremely depressing, glum and boring tin shed.  Bulldoze the place and build a modern inviting and friendly place.

Departure lounge explains the suicide attempts and does not have to be inviting... tourists already spent the money, so why care...

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

5 minutes in that place and people start thinking about suicide. It is an extremely depressing, glum and boring tin shed. Bulldoze the place and build a modern inviting and friendly place.

I see this opinion a lot, but I am actually happy to see BKK, either entering or departing. My home airport is LAX - BKK is an absolute delight in comparison. LAX has all the class and warmth of a maximum security penitentiary, so I guess its all about what your accustomed to. Nothing personifies my reasons for not returning home more than the feeling I get going through LAX. I really don't get the hate for swampy, compared to the vast majority of airports in the world, its very nice (at least compared to the airports that I have had the misfortune to visit).

• Like 2

5 minutes in that place and people start thinking about suicide. It is an extremely depressing, glum and boring tin shed. Bulldoze the place and build a modern inviting and friendly place.

I see this opinion a lot, but I am actually happy to see BKK, either entering or departing. My home airport is LAX - BKK is an absolute delight in comparison. LAX has all the class and warmth of a maximum security penitentiary, so I guess its all about what your accustomed to. Nothing personifies my reasons for not returning home more than the feeling I get going through LAX. I really don't get the hate for swampy, compared to the vast majority of airports in the world, its very nice (at least compared to the airports that I have had the misfortune to visit).

Totally agree - BKK is my home airport, and its a very nice and high quality modern airport - Ok, its not quite as pleasant as say HKG or AMS for example, but its way nicer than many. I used to hate going through SYD some years ago - its got a bit better, but still ordinary (maybe that's just because its Sydney haha!). Bangkok airport still provides a lot of good services and things - maybe the thing we should be trying to remove or reduce is the King Power monopoly...

Who committs suicide at Swampy ?

Is it an arriving passenger who sees his wife / gf and her family waiting expectantly and can't face the expense OR a departing passenger who has been completely ripped off by wife / gf and various others and can't face family and friends when he gets home ?

I'm sure TAT could make something of this.

Those jumpers left massive stains on the carpet.

The only carpet I recall is at the VIP Passport Control on the Arrivals side, and within the First Class section of Thai Airways check-in and at the Gold Card check-in desks.

Who committs suicide at Swampy ?

Is it an arriving passenger who sees his wife / gf and her family waiting expectantly and can't face the expense OR a departing passenger who has been completely ripped off by wife / gf and various others and can't face family and friends when he gets home ?

I'm sure TAT could make something of this.

On the front page of today's BKK Post is an article on this topic. It claims that since 2006, seven people have committed suicide by jumping from the upper floor walkways. The report went on to say most suicides were an outcome of foreigners having domestic disputes, not wanting to return to their homeland or run out of money; doesn't state where they got this info.

What about the bridges that conect the airport to the carpark? Are they going to put glass screens there too??

Actually, yes, the construction has started, they're changing them into enclosed footbridges. It's a shame because I liked the view of the airport when you walked from the car park, though I admit I always held my kids hands when they were very young. It was the only view I liked, once you enter the airport the problems begin, with the overall feeling that everything is not working the way it was originally planned (or, rather, that it was planned so badly that it can't be used practically).

Edited by Chaam local

In 2009 an Irishman committed suicide at the air port. This is the only reported suicide I can find. One death in six years, This sounds more life the title of a Hemingway book, " For Whole the Bell Tole ", but it is not the bell in the church, it is the bell on the cash register. coffee1.gif