23 killed and injured in Buri Ram car crash were illegal Lao migrants

webfact

A tragic loss, but the police will watch thousands of overloaded pick ups go past them again today and do nothing.

Deaths 19 - Learned 0

what police? do you mean the guys in brown clothing that look for money from motorbike operators without helmets?

What operators? Do you mean the ones that ride their bikes illegally without helmets and then are rightfully pulled over and pay half the amount of the official fine as tea money to the cops?

The headline says 23 killed and then later in the last paragraph it says the death toll rose to 19.

May need to re-read the headline - 23 killed and injured.

I suppose that they must have been injured to have died!!!!

Yes, another poorly written headline.

Illegal or not, these are humans and this was a tragic accident. The ones killed on this bus, though illegal, were doing the right thing...they were going where they could to seek work and bring home to their families. They were trying to survive the best they know how. So maybe the government should focus efforts on providing for their own to circumvent the issue as I see no "illegal" "smuggling" of aliens because they were returning to/fro daily/weekly for work and money.

I am YeaBiGgiEs and I have spoken on this day!

The headline says 23 killed and then later in the last paragraph it says the death toll rose to 19. And the 23, in the truck, were "illegal." What about the driver? Was he Thai? Did he run? Will their be investigation to get him to disclose his higher ups and potential Mr. Thai Bigs?

Thought you would have read it ! he was Thai and he died.

The main point is who was driving? Were there charges? Was the driver a Thai runner? Are the police interrogating the driver if they have him? Could he lead to a Thai Mr. Big?

Now that would be a waste of time as he was killed. Why do people not read the facts before posting trash !

• Like 1

What were 23 people doing in the back of a pickup truck? What were they trying to go for the Guinness book of records title for the most number of passengers carried by one pickup truck? Maybe Thailand should ban passengers from traveling at the back of a pickup, period. One need just go to nearby countries to find that nobody travels at the back of a pickup in such countries as Malaysia, Vietnam and China. Why can't Thailand follow their lead? The Vietnamese think traveling at the back of a pickup is for cows or pigs, not humans. Go figure...

You're right of course, nobody said you could beat the Vietnamese on transport efficiency, wai2.gif

overloaded-motorcycle-vietnam.jpg

• Like 1

I loved the title of that newspaper. 23 victims were immigrants... And would be sent back. In short, it is almost saying that the responsibility of that accident befalls to the Laotian immigrants who were guilty of dying in Thailand thanks to a Thai.

Nice further example of their xenophobia.

Who cares about their nationality? They were human beings! whistling.gif

Especially as many Lao families have relatrives here (& vice-versa). My F-I-L was born in Thailand and raised in Laos, the son of his Lao Father's second wife.

Track back about 100 years and large portions of Laos were still part of Siam. Thanks goes to France & England for creating new countries out of whole cloth. In the 19th century, Siam had suzainry over; Laos, Cambodia to the Gulf of Tonkin, Malaya, Northern Burma, the Andaman coast (Moulmein), Penang, Singapore and parts of Java.To the West was AYA and to the East were Tonkin (NVN) and Annam (central VietNam), as Cambodia then extended from SIam Reap to the coast.

Ethnicity here is twisted like ribbons on a maypole.