Criminals in Phuket are “mostly outsiders”, says Gov

Lite Beer

So a Thai with a house registration as having been born in Ubon, but has lived in (and run Jet Ski scams) in Phuket for the past 30 years is an outsider... Maitree Intusut, you have the IQ of a napkin

But he got his picture taken and a headline in all the news. Just like all the other politicians spouting bull and lies.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so a foreigner riding a motorbike without a helmet makes you a criminal? Not the thais that rob, maim, kill etc. foreigners? TiT

Not wearing helmets refer to his preceding sentence: "He also discussed non-criminal aspects of security, especially roads."

Note: "NON-Criminal"

“When crimes take place, please tell me where did [the perpetrators] come from because in most cases, they are not local Phuket people.”

No, but they are not all "foreigners" either . . . and I am dam_n sure the largest % will be other Thai's. But that doesn't count cos they are not from Phuket.

Perpetrator???? whats that? Do you mean "touts".?

I think if the breakdown f the types of crimes were given the mre serious such as rape burglery a robbery would be mostly Thai "touts". Just not the Gov. "Phuket Angels" of the Gov of course.. Percentages would suggest outsiders cause an increase but given mst are tourists and more likely the attraction for crime and not the perps. . Foriegners will get caught faster due t the anti- farang sentiment and the fact they can not melt back inot the woodwork so easily. Especilly if they were'nt wearing a feature covering helmet. Of course the fact that all farangs look alike does nt help the flse interrogation an arrest of many..

Governor, If you want to improve safety on the Kamala to Chern talay road, why not remove the concrete spills from the most dangerous corners on the mountain. They have been there for two years. Last year I personally witnessed more than 6 serious motorcycle accidents, all foreign tourists on motorbikes. The cars come past, and the riders are forced to ride over the concrete spillage and come off.

A couple of burmese day labourers, and a few hammers and some scutch combs and problem could be solved in a day. But no...you spend the tax dollars on some pretty signs...

Oh...and by the way, the newly laid tarmac on the Bang Tao to Nai Thon road has already been turned into a death trap with concrete spillage on two of the blind corners...

Perhaps you could get some signs made up:

BEWARE CONCRETE SPILLAGE AHEAD BECAUSE CEMENT TRUCK DRIVERS DON'T GIVE A SH_T AND NEITHER DO THE POLICE OR GOVERNMENT!

Edited by Phronesis

“When crimes take place, please tell me where did [the perpetrators] come from because in most cases, they are not local Phuket people.”

No, but they are not all "foreigners" either . . . and I am dam_n sure the largest % will be other Thai's. But that doesn't count cos they are not from Phuket.

He is clearly speaking not only about 'foreigners' but also about Thais from outside Phuket. That is his main point. He is saying that the majority of criminals are from outside Phuket given the relatively small size of the registered Phuket population. Probably most are from other parts of Thailand (unless you want to argue that people from Phuket are more predisposed to criminal behaviour than Thais from other parts of the country or that foreigners are mostly responsible for the crime there.) And he wants to verify this assumption by having police record/track the origin of criminals/suspects. Not completely unreasonable...

I agree it is a really safe bet to say something like that, very hard to find a true "local" if you follow the Governor's "logic" - so an easy thing to say.

If all the "outsiders" left there would be nothing worth stealing or scamming. So bit of the old chicken and the egg dilemma there.

I would go as far as to say the vast majority of 'foreign criminals' would consist of people who overstayed their visas and who are trying to make money in 'Thai only' jobs, or that Thai people complain are taking money away from them by running legal legitimate businesses that are operated fairly and not trying to rip people off so of course the crims want them gone. Maybe a few % would be foreigners actually committing crimes. The other 95% are all Thai. This twit should face up to the problems instead of trying to pass the buck and blame other people...

This guy doesn't get it.

It doesn't matter where people come from. Abiding by the law is the important issue, closely followed by fair enforcement of law. Who cares if a law breaker is from Korat, England or Mars. Just enforce the laws across the board on all who break them.

I know, I know, ain't gonna happen. This speech was for the consumption of locals who vote.......all the recent hoo hah about crack downs isn't aimed at THEM.

Criminals in Phuket are “mostly outsiders”, says Gov...

Of course they are 'Outsiders'.

Outside renting jet ski's

Outside driving tuk tuks and taxis

Outside snatching jewelry, purses, and picking pockets

Outside writing traffic tickets

• Like 1

Thailand wants to be a hub for everything...very ambitious..well Phuket is another hub...Foreign criminal hub...matter of fact 90% are foreigners..name it mostly from the west..partly Asians....compared last 20 years ago....Phuket is free of crimes...so don't put it on the locals...Patong Beach was one of the most pretty beaches but now it all turn black and the island crime rate is higher then Bangkok city...

I fought off an attempted mugging at Central World in BKK. Someone tried to grab and run with my camera.

I ended up in their very high tech security room checking their video to ID the suspect.

Next they brought out a few picture books of mugshots.

Pictures of Cambodians, Burmese, Lao & Philippine.

Quite possible. In all my years, I've never met a taxi or tuk tuk driver in Bangkok who was actually born there. People go where the jobs are...

What? You interview every taxi driver you come across?

MOSTLY OUTSIDERS, Please what a joke cheesy.gif Ive heard of Western businessmen moving back home and fleeing Phuket because of The Thai Mafia. Its not worth it they say.

They never mentioned that they left Phuket because of any Westerner and non-Thai criminals. Its all about The Thai Mafia(The Major Tourist Islands are the worst places they said, its tightly controlled)

Quite possible. In all my years, I've never met a taxi or tuk tuk driver in Bangkok who was actually born there. People go where the jobs are...

What? You interview every taxi driver you come across?

"Where are you from" quite often comes up in a casual conversation with people you don't know.

so a foreigner riding a motorbike without a helmet makes you a criminal? Not the thais that rob, maim, kill etc. foreigners? TiT

The foreigners have to wear a helmet because they are not familiar with the roads?

I saw a Thai friend with a small child on a motorbike, not wearing a helmet.

I asked the child, "where is your helmet?"

"Only Farangs need to wear them." the kid said.

Everyone knows what Thai police are up to. Abusing visitors for profit.

I also question why on earth they would lump together 'foreign criminals' with 'foreign victims' ......

"with police records showing foreign criminals and victims of crime came from 64 nationalities in the three years"

I'm pretty sure it's because it helps to justify this ludicrous blame-shifting exercise.

If they were to take away the 'victims' from the equation, how would the 'criminal' figures then read? Three nationalities? Four?

More importantly, without the inclusion of the 'victim' numbers, what would be the ratio of crimes committed by local thugs in Phuket vis-a-vis those committed by non-Phuketians...?!!

I have no doubt the numbers would then give the governor cause for concern, But of course, he's already seen those numbers, which is why the 'victim' numbers were added into the equation in the first place..!!