Taxis, lack of tourists create problems for new Phuket Airport bus

webfact

Taxis, lack of tourists create problems for new Phuket Airport bus
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1381309421_1.jpg
The airport bus started on July 19.

PHUKET: -- Resentful taxi and tuk-tuk drivers and a lack of passengers are causing problems for the island’s new Phuket International Airport to Patong bus service, says company owner Prakob Panyawai.

Speaking with The Phuket News today (October 9), Mr Prakob listed problems the service faces, ranging from neglect by the airport management to continuing animosity from tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

Yet, despite the lack of support, Mr Prakob says he will continue with the service. “I will wait for the high season and see how that goes. I won’t give up.”

He has had trouble with resentful taxi and tuk-tuk drivers who see the bus service as an incursion into their territory, at both the airport and in Patong.

“Sometimes I worry about the taxis and tuk-tuk drivers [at both ends of the route]. The last time my staff put up posters about the service in Patong and at the airport, the posters were ripped down and destroyed.

“I have sent two requests to [the airport director Prateuang Sornkham], one asking for proper signage in the arrivals terminal and the other asking for space for a counter. But there has been no answer to either – all I am told is that my requests ‘are in process’.

“On October 19 it will be three months since we started our service. On that day I will remind them again.”

In Patong, he wants to expand the service, dropping off and picking up passengers at more than the current one location.

“I have already talked with Phrap Keesin [son of Patong’s currently suspended mayor, and a powerful force in the tuk-tuk and taxi industry] to tell him I want to increase the number of bus stops.

“If I can do that, the Airport Express service will be more noticeable in Patong. He understood and agreed with me. I have just informed the Phuket Land Transport Department.

As a result of the lack of signage and counter at the airport, he says that few people realise there is a bus service available to Patong, so the service receives very few passengers.

Mr Prakob has already reduced the service, canceling trips if there are few or no passengers on board.

“I believe that public transportation has to be promoted, but it feels as though we are working in isolation, with no one to support our service.”

Information on the airport bus service can be seen here: phuketairportbusexpress.com/en

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/taxis-lack-of-tourists-create-problems-for-new-phuket-airport-bus-42275.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-09

"I have already talked with Phrap Keesin [son of Patongs currently suspended mayor, and a powerful force in the tuk-tuk and taxi industry] to tell him I want to increase the number of bus stops."

Really? Good luck with that.

I will wait for the high season and see how that goes. I wont give up.

Good for you.

• Like 1

How many expats that regularly post in Thaivisa have tried the new service? Ill tell you: a big fat doughnut ZERO

I have to confess: I haven't been on the bus.

But, I haven't been on a plane either.

So why would I go to the airport?

You're living up to your name again, Ivan! biggrin.png

How many expats that regularly post in Thaivisa have tried the new service? Ill tell you: a big fat doughnut ZERO

What do you mean by the qualification "...that regularly post in Thaivisa..."? Does being a regular poster on one of the less highly thought of sites on Thailand carry some importance?

What do you mean by the qualification "...that regularly post in Thaivisa..."? Does being a regular poster on one of the less highly thought of sites on Thailand carry some importance?

"...less highly thought of..."

- really?

I think about it quite a lot.

What do you mean by the qualification "...that regularly post in Thaivisa..."?  Does being a regular poster on one of the less highly thought of sites on Thailand carry some importance?

Well the new bus service was going to be the saviour of Phuket according to the regular posters here. But as usual the hypochrites will be using black plate taxis. At least I use the green plated taxis

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

And while we are at it we need to break up the whole territory issue... I would spend money on taxis if it were cheaper and they could pick you up anywhere just by hailing a taxi just like you can in Bangkok. Why not enforce the same rules as in Bangkok? I went from DMK airport to my hotel in Asoke/sukhumvit for about 250 using the meter. Im sure more people would take taxis using the meter price PLUS having them scatter across instead of hundreds sitting in random spots across patong.

• Like 1

I actually flew in on the 27th of September around 3:00 P.M. on Bangkok Air. I was returning from a trip up North. As my wife and I entered the baggage claim areas there were 4 different Taxi stations selling taxi rides. I didn't see a stand selling tickets for the Bus going anywhere. I can only imagine that any permanent stand selling bus tickets would be overcome with an army of taxi drivers expressing their displeasure at being outed by the bus.

My neighbor works at the airport in Phuket. Her family runs at least two blue and yellow taxi's, one white Toyota sedan and a tour bus from their perch atop the Airport Security Department. They are mortgaged to the hilt, no wonder the taxi drivers are despirate to retain supremacy over the pools of tourist fish that arrive.

I bought a taxi ride for 600 baht to Phuket town and the driver took me straight away home without incident. Good driver, careful and couteous. I gave him a 100 baht tip.

I doubt the bus will drop me at my door?

Actually, I use it all the time now. Yes, takes me a while to get from Rawai to the airport, but a book and getting my ar$e into gear earlier, makes it an easy option.

I'm just doing my bit for a public transport system that everyone agrees is desperately needed here. Lots of you should do the same instead of just mouthing off about the situation.

• Like 1

Actually, I use it all the time now. Yes, takes me a while to get from Rawai to the airport, but a book and getting my ar$e into gear earlier, makes it an easy option.

I'm just doing my bit for a public transport system that everyone agrees is desperately needed here. Lots of you should do the same instead of just mouthing off about the situation.

How do you even get to Rawai? This bus doesn't go close to it.

I dont catch the bus. I was always against it. But if I was a cheapskate struggling to pay for an overstay or a few bar fines I would catch the bus to Patong and then jump on a song taew to Rawaii

Look at the average Phuket taxi, pimped out with alloy wheels, bass speakers and better HiFi than I've got, they are reaming people.

As for 700 Baht for airport to home, Phuket is not that big - compare to per Km rates from Bangkok Airport.

Rip off.

• 5 months later...

I dont catch the bus. I was always against it. But if I was a cheapskate struggling to pay for an overstay or a few bar fines I would catch the bus to Patong and then jump on a song taew to Rawaii

NOthing to do with being a cheapskate, its to do with choice!

Phuket sells itself as an international destination, but the place is run with antiquated medieval tribe mentality!

• Like 1