Extension of Retirement Visa

I obtained a Non-Immigrant O/A (Retirement) Multiple Entry VISA at the Thai Consulate Office in New York City on 8 Nov 2012. I then entered Thailand on 22 Nov 2012 and received an immigration stamp saying I was admitted until 21 Nov 2013.

I left Thailand on 30 May 2013 and returned on 14 July 2013. When I returned I received an immigration stamp saying I was admitted until 13 July 2014. I questioned the immigration official at the airport about the 13 July 2014 date and he assured me it was correct. Recently, when I did my latest 90 day check-in, I asked the lady in immigration if the 13 July date was correct and she said it was. I pointed out to her that the original one year expiration date was 21 Nov 2013 and she told me that was no longer valid and the 13 July date was correct.

I thought that I had to extend my visa before 21 Nov 2013 regardless of my leaving the country before that date. Was I wrong?

Every entry you do until Nov. 8th will give you another valid one year entry. The visa expiration date does not limit the amount of time you can be in the country it is only the last date you can enter the country and get another 1 year entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

You have a multiple entry O-A visa, issued on 8 Nov. 2012, valid till 8 Nov. 2013. that means that anytime you enter Thailand before 8 nov. 2013 you get a permission to stay in Thailand for 1 year.

last time you entered Thailand was 14 july 2013, hence you re allowed to stay till july 2014. If you leave Thailand again and return on 7 Nov. 2013, you get a new permission to stay till 7 Nov. 2014.

if you want to re-enter Thailand after 8 Nov. 2013, you need to obtain a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand or you will ned a new visa.

Is New York an honorary consulate? Does anyone know if honorary consulates in the US issue multiple entry retirement visas?

The Thai consulatte in New York is not an honorary consulate.

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/

• Address: 351 E 52nd St, New York, NY 10022, United States
    Phone:+1 212-754-1770
    Hours:
    Wednesday 9:00 am – 12:30 pm, 1:30–4:30 pm - See all

Do you want a multi entry O-A Long Stay (retirement) visa (which is what official Consulates in US do issue); or do you just want a multi entry O visa (which is what an Honorary Consulate might issue) but multi entry is getting scarce or not available these days unless more of a reason that being over age 50.

Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses.

I guess I'm good to go until next July.

I plan to get a re-entry (multi) permit before I leave the country after 8 November so the Visa remains valid. I assume the re-entry permit is good until the Visa expires in July.

Are you sure that was O and not O-A? The O-A is the retirement visa.

I apologize.

I got confused in following the trajectory of the discussion thread. However, in saying that I did just verify my passport and did obtain a non-o visa via the LA consulate for my previous visit in October 2012.

However, that visa was for the purpose of visiting family, which I assume is an important distinction from your point.

Edited by SpokaneAl