Passports in Chiang Mai for Thai partner

Mapguy

This might be helpful to those of you who have Thai partners and want to travel, but the partners don't have a passport.

I was astonished recently at how remarkably efficient the Chiang Mai office of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs is at issuing passports to Thai citizens in Chiang Mai. Recently, a Thai family (two parents and a child) applied at the MOFA office which, I believe, is at the Government Center north of the city on a Thursday. They were given a receipt with the passport number. The passports were delivered by mail (routine delivery) to the family home address by noon on the following Wednesday! The passports had an issue date of the day the applications were submitted.

A few years back, I recall a similar prompt governmental response, but I don't remember any details.

This is not a fable. I saw the passports on the day they were received. And no, this family is not relatives to the mayor, the governor, the minister. And they paid the standard rate.

What documents were required? The usual sort; nothing special, but I would include employer information, if available, and birth certificates for any children. For more detail, telephone or go to the office after checking the web site. I am not impersonating a government office.

I hope this post helps someone.

Regarding past encounters with MOFA, I personally have had dealings with MOFA both in Bangkok (and when it was established) in Chiang Mai. Everything done was done efficiently and at the standard rate. I have dealt with ministries of foreign affairs in various countries over several years, and I must say that the Thai MOFA is very, very impressive when it comes to citizen services and services, such as notarizations and authorizations of documents.

If you are at all familiar with similar services from your "home" countries, I suggest that you should be impressed.

Edited by Tywais
Topic title changed from all CAPS and reference to royal family removed
  • Like 1

i don't understand the 'news'. it's nothing new. passports available at the government center (off of chotana rd) for many years now. why would anyone need "relatives to the mayor, the governor, the minister" to get a passport? am i missing something?

Edited by Tywais
Reference to royal family removed