Have Non-O in passport, but don't want it to be used for short visit...doable?

First, thanks for the valuable info this forum provides from the many expert posters who help and advise the less-experienced.

I applied for and received a single-entry, 90-day Non-O visa (for purpose of exploring retirement, and I intend to apply for an extension based on retirement while I'm there.)

Visa issued at the end of September, of course it has to be used within 90 days, which would be around the end of December. No problem there. But I am planning to arrive in BKK later this month for a short visit, about 10-11 days, and would depart in the first few days of November, be out for a few weeks and return to BKK around mid-November. From mid-November is when I want the Non-O to be activated, and have the clock start ticking then. (In addition to not having to get a re-entry permit for my short trip out of Thailand.) I would 'save' about three-and-a-half weeks by being able to do that.

When I land at BKK later this month will I be able to get a 30 day visa-free entry and not have the Non-O visa activated at that time? I will have the air ticket for trip out in about two weeks from the day I arrive. Does Immigration automatically stamp you in on the still-not-used visa in the passport, or do they grant you some room to maneuver on that?

Would appreciate any word on that. Thank you.