In Defence of Pattaya and in defiance to the Haters

Sigurris

What a huge breath of fresh air this post has been. In the most part, sensible,erudite and knowledgeable people. Whist I may not agree with all that was written, I can empathize with all - almost all! - so many past topics have drawn out the 'haters' and the ' unsatisfied morons' who never have a good word to say about Thais and Thailand in general. I have often wondered why they still live here, until one day I realized - they do not have a choice - they are unhappy in their own countries and are probably disliked by their own families, or maybe they are just Misanthropes? I lived in Singapore for ten years, in Phuket for seven and am now in Chiang Mai. I am very happy to have met many very nice people, both Thai and Ferang, I have also met some not-so-nice people, but that is the same everywhere. Prior to this I spent thirty plus years as a Photographer on Cruise Ships, saw much of the world and it's people (to steal from a movie) The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, that is what makes us human. I would not wish to live in Pattaya, most likely because I have the wrong view of it, that view is slowly changing, thanks to the aforementioned, erudite and knowledgeable people.

• Like 1

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, defend and defy whatever you like. I am not a Hater or a Defender, just an objective observer.

Here are some facts: About 7 years ago I moved to Thailand and stayed in a nice Pattaya/Jomtien hotel for 3 months.

Thus I know Pattaya.

It grows. The RE is appreciating. New condos, villages, shopping centers, shops, dealerships open.

There are no beaches in Pattaya/Jomtien - the sand has been sold to owners of millions of umbrellas and chaise longues.

In three months that I lived there I went once for a swim. 2 min later I was out - seen 2 condoms floating in water. Luckily both were tied in a knot, so there was no unwanted pregnancy.

Traffic in Pattaya is just as bad as in BKK.

Crime rate in Pattaya is higher than in BKK.

Prices for goods and services in Pattaya are higher than in BKK.

The %% of foreigners/population in Pattaya is the highest in SE Asia, reducing the pleasures of living in Thailand, Asia, or ... wherever... unless you are from Russia.

Now, if you didn't notice, I will point out that above are described pure facts without judgmental values. Let our members read and judge the facts.

As to your poetic description of the sea breezes, - I have it all and much more - the sandy beaches at my doorsteps, 11 islands in full view, crystal clear waters, view of the mountains, fishing vessels, sea breezes PLUS not a foreigner in sight!

Hope this doesn't make me a Hater... maybe just a Loner? But I do not suffer in any way and am not missing the bar scenes of BKK or Pattaya. coffee1.gif

wow, lived there for 3 months, you would know everyone living there by name then wouldnt you, seems your the one that needs to get real, what a joke, lived there for 3 months so you know everything that is the funniest thing I have heard yet. Seems you didnt mention where you live now, is that for a reason, possibly because some <deleted> will bag it out. The op likes where he lives, you like where you live, why cant you leave it at that instead of making an arse of yourself claiming that 3 months makes you an expert

• Like 2

OP, defend and defy whatever you like. I am not a Hater or a Defender, just an objective observer.

Here are some facts: About 7 years ago I moved to Thailand and stayed in a nice Pattaya/Jomtien hotel for 3 months.

Thus I know Pattaya.

It grows. The RE is appreciating. New condos, villages, shopping centers, shops, dealerships open.

There are no beaches in Pattaya/Jomtien - the sand has been sold to owners of millions of umbrellas and chaise longues.

In three months that I lived there I went once for a swim. 2 min later I was out - seen 2 condoms floating in water. Luckily both were tied in a knot, so there was no unwanted pregnancy.

The %% of foreigners/population in Pattaya is the highest in SE Asia, reducing the pleasures of living in Thailand, Asia, or ... wherever... unless you are from Russia.

Now, if you didn't notice, I will point out that above are described pure facts without judgmental values. Let our members read and judge the facts.

As to your poetic description of the sea breezes, - I have it all and much more - the sandy beaches at my doorsteps, 11 islands in full view, crystal clear waters, view of the mountains, fishing vessels, sea breezes PLUS not a foreigner in sight!

Hope this doesn't make me a Hater... maybe just a Loner? But I do not suffer in any way and am not missing the bar scenes of BKK or Pattaya. coffee1.gif

wow, lived there for 3 months, you would know everyone living there by name then wouldnt you, seems your the one that needs to get real, what a joke, lived there for 3 months so you know everything that is the funniest thing I have heard yet. Seems you didnt mention where you live now, is that for a reason, possibly because some wanke_r will bag it out. The op likes where he lives, you like where you live, why cant you leave it at that instead of making an arse of yourself claiming that 3 months makes you an expert

3 months is long enough to get to know most places - too long to get to know Pattaya in my opinion.

• Like 2

Thus I know Pattaya.

wow, lived there for 3 months, you would know everyone living there by name then wouldnt you, seems your the one that needs to get real, what a joke, lived there for 3 months so you know everything that is the funniest thing I have heard yet. Seems you didnt mention where you live now, is that for a reason, possibly because some wanke_r will bag it out. The op likes where he lives, you like where you live, why cant you leave it at that instead of making an arse of yourself claiming that 3 months makes you an expert

Seajae, I think I wrote a totally neutral post. Not a trace of aggro in it.

Besides, the topic discussed is neutral and not calling for personal abuse.

But your manner of speech and vocabulary says it all.

Never said I am an expert.

Don't know personally you and I'm very glad.

If you don't know how to talk - than you shouldn't write here either.

First Frangipani man that stinks!

When people defend Pattaya I simply send them a link to Pattayaone or any other Pattaya news related site. You couldn't make it up. Well you could, but you know what I mean.

I went to Pattaya with a friend for a break from BKK 4 years ago. We managed 24 hours before leaving. I thought I had died and gone to hell. It felt like one big Soi Nana - another cesspit, might I add.

We arrived late and did a walk around. It was depressing. There was no glamour, just lost souls at every turn. We played pool in a few places but found the staff very rude everywhere we went. We woke up the next day and rented bikes. We thought that if we drove away from the beach there must be more to the city than uneducated farm girls selling their souls and child beggars. But it was inescapable, the bars and massages seemed to go on forever, and were all open for business by early afternoon.

Bear in mind my friend loves to party, and isn't opposed to a night at a go-go bar. But for him, and me, it just all felt so wrong. It's a weird place with a creepy vibe.

I probably didn't give it a fair chance, and I'm sure there are some nicer areas than those I saw. But if Pattaya wants to improve its image it should start by getting a new role model, instead of this idiot. http://www.timsharky.com

It's also worth noting that many Thais have now reference the "Pattaya farang" in addition to the old favourites "farang Khao San" and the more general "farang kee nock".

I wish Pattaya was a lovely place with a great beach because it's such a great location. I'd move there in flash.

Close all the bars. Clean out the sexpests and let's reclaim it as part of Thailand.

+1

• Like 1

I think the OP is an amazingly talented writer with a "glass half FULL attitude which is refreshing and most welcome after reading some of the "glass half EMPTY" posts on here. I like positive, upbeat people and the OP seems to be. I wish I could meet people like the OP when I am at my Thai house, which is in Pattaya.(Don't get there very often)

I have never been to the beach or any bars there and I guess I am blind to the really bad things in Pattaya. Maybe because I am always in stores shopping giggle.gif

An excellent point well made by NanLeaw. This has been my point all along. Don't tar a whole population with the same brush. Kennyrogers claims that Sharky is the role model for Pattaya and it is just that simple and narrow minded view that keeps the flames of the haters going.

One person does not make a whole town. Why not chose a member of the Royal Varuna Sailing club, or a member of the Pattaya Polo club. Maybe one of the Pattaya Players theatre group would like the role. Or someone from one of the several wine appreciation groups. We could ask one of the many farang volunteers who keep the Father Ray Foundation going or one of the many Jesters who spend much of their free time raising money to help the children of the poor. Shall I go on?

• Like 1

An excellent point well made by NanLeaw. This has been my point all along. Don't tar a whole population with the same brush. Kennyrogers claims that Sharky is the role model for Pattaya and it is just that simple and narrow minded view that keeps the flames of the haters going.

One person does not make a whole town. Why not chose a member of the Royal Varuna Sailing club, or a member of the Pattaya Polo club. Maybe one of the Pattaya Players theatre group would like the role. Or someone from one of the several wine appreciation groups. We could ask one of the many farang volunteers who keep the Father Ray Foundation going or one of the many Jesters who spend much of their free time raising money to help the children of the poor. Shall I go on?

whatever u wanna think/make us believe: farang sextourists OUTNUMBER "regular" tourists in pattaya. is this so hard to accept ? we're not talking one guy here. that Sharky is a clown. we're talking guys whose main purpose of visiting pattaya is pussy + fun*. i'm NOT saying these guys are bad or stupid or losers. i'm just saying the facts. and 90% of +60 farang residents, living in pattaya with their thai wife started their pattaya experience as... sextourist.

* pussy and fun = fun indeed, I agree, but prostitution due to poverty is NOT fun. no matter how much these girls laugh, they DO NOT ENJOY this life and pray every day they will get a better life while burning a stick for the buddha.

• Like 1

If you don't likee Pattaya, don't comee ... sorted

true but this topic is not about coming or not coming (pun intended). it's about WHAT PATTAYA IS LIKE. pattaya is what it is, some people like it, some hate it, but call it what it is: epicentre of sextourists.

I do wish people would stop trying to convince those that don't know that Pattaya is a great place. It's already been ruined by the flash shopping mall bringing the Bkk weekend brigade. If this keeps up, the place is going to be over run with backpackers and families, even more than at present, and they are ruining the place.

Lets keep Pattaya's bad rep, as it's the only thing stopping it from becoming just another horrid Hua Hin clone.

I visited Pattaya only one time, when I was in BK visiting Thailand for first time in 2010 and with my first Thai girlfriend. We were looking for a parking spot for 1/2 hour, just to take a walk by the beach and to have lunch. The beach was too small and full of farangs with Thai "companions" and vendors. No way to walk on that beach. The park and the promenade by the beach was a parade of walking girls and seating seniors. Lunch was expensive for what we got, and after lunch we drive to spend a nice weekend on a deserted Rayon Beach. I understand that the walking street is not Pattaya, but it is the face of the city..and got its reputation because that...and its prices because that. After visiting other beach cities in Thailand, I will not choose Pattaya for sure if I was looking for a beach city. But...after living for short times in Bangkok, Cha Am, Chiang Mai and Lampang, I settled for the mountains of Chiang Rai. By the way....It is a "Pattaya Beach" here in Chiang Rai...Do you know that?...and it is a real beach..

• Like 1

whatever u wanna think/make us believe: farang sextourists OUTNUMBER "regular" tourists in pattaya. is this so hard to accept ? we're not talking one guy here. that Sharky is a clown. we're talking guys whose main purpose of visiting pattaya is pussy + fun*. i'm NOT saying these guys are bad or stupid or losers. i'm just saying the facts. and 90% of +60 farang residents, living in pattaya with their thai wife started their pattaya experience as... sextourist.

* pussy and fun = fun indeed, I agree, but prostitution due to poverty is NOT fun. no matter how much these girls laugh, they DO NOT ENJOY this life and pray every day they will get a better life while burning a stick for the buddha.

You don't know what you are talking about. I doubt you ever got to know a Pattaya bar girl in your life to be spouting that rubbish!
  • Like 2

To start with, these broad-brush statements always remind me of a certain little Austrian who used similar statements to vilify a race of people and make himself and his supporters feel better about the fact that they were the lowlifes. It is always good to hate someone. It takes your mind off hating yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum wink.png

• Like 1

stickylies, if you want to ride a white horse down Walking St, feel free to do so, but I can live without the NGO bleeding-heart style lecture. I know girls who have left the bar to work in restaurants/salons for woeful money, but I know a lot more who have simply moved from the bar to freelancing when that life wore thin. If their families don't care where the money came from, why should you or I ?

I visited Pattaya only one time, when I was in BK visiting Thailand for first time in 2010 and with my first Thai girlfriend. We were looking for a parking spot for 1/2 hour, just to take a walk by the beach and to have lunch. The beach was too small and full of farangs with Thai "companions" and vendors. No way to walk on that beach. The park and the promenade by the beach was a parade of walking girls and seating seniors. Lunch was expensive for what we got, and after lunch we drive to spend a nice weekend on a deserted Rayon Beach. I understand that the walking street is not Pattaya, but it is the face of the city..and got its reputation because that...and its prices because that. After visiting other beach cities in Thailand, I will not choose Pattaya for sure if I was looking for a beach city. But...after living for short times in Bangkok, Cha Am, Chiang Mai and Lampang, I settled for the mountains of Chiang Rai. By the way....It is a "Pattaya Beach" here in Chiang Rai...Do you know that?...and it is a real beach..

Anyone that goes to Pattaya for the beach is pretty misguided. Had you gone over the hill, Jomptien is far better.

BTW, why would you even go to Pattaya in a car? It's well known that there is no parking on the beach.

OK, but you pretty much knew what to expect before you even got in the car to go to Patts, right ? If you didnt, surely your GF did ? I just find it hard to contemplate that there is a Thai over the age of 15 who doesnt know exactly what Pattaya is and avoid it at all costs. It would be the equivalent of me taking a Thai girl to Darlinghurst Road in Kings Cross - who the hell does that ??

• Like 1

You don't know what you are talking about. I doubt you ever got to know a Pattaya bar girl in your life to be spouting that rubbish!

well, at least (unlike you I suppose), i'm not spouting my rubbish INSIDE a pattaya bargirl...

well, at least (unlike you I suppose), i'm not spouting my rubbish INSIDE a pattaya bargirl...

Handbags !

totster laugh.png

• Like 1