Anger Mismanagement: Raging motorist rams Ducati, learns expensive lesson

webfact

Anger Mismanagement: Raging motorist rams Ducati, learns expensive lesson
By Coconuts Bangkok

1381244667-1383712350-o.jpg?itok=xVW_rlb
Photo: Pantip

BANGKOK: -- A pantip user shared the story of his friend’s “accident” that prompted discussion of the dos-and-donts of revenge-ramming.

The unnamed friend was riding a THB2 million Ducati motorcycle, the user said, and got into a spontaneous race with an older car, which happened to not be the product of Italian high-performance engineering.

The biker got a lead on the motorist when they reached a red light, where the driver of the car intentionally rear-ended the Ducati.

The motorbike owner jumped free of his bike and was uninjured. His Ducati’s fairings were smashed into pieces. Approaching the vehicle, he found its driver incredibly intoxicated. [read more...]

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/10/anger-mismanagement-raging-motorist-rams-ducati-learns-expensive-lesson

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-10

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fast bike doesn't really need to 'race' any car from stoplight-to-stoplight- it just passes them at will. That said, there's not much you can do if a guy intentionally rams you from behind at a red light.

A Duc on its side in the middle of the street sure ain't a pretty site- the rider was really lucky not to be laying next go it.

What is that- a 1098R?

Edited by RubberSideDown

"The car driver went on to tell police that he didn’t know the motorcycle was a Ducati, but made the decision to satisfy his rage by hitting the bike because he assumed it would be an inexpensive fix."

And how much did he think it would be for a life if he had killed the rider?

"The car driver went on to tell police that he didn’t know the motorcycle was a Ducati, but made the decision to satisfy his rage by hitting the bike because he assumed it would be an inexpensive fix."

And how much did he think it would be for a life if he had killed the rider?

At 2 million baht the bike is more expensive than a human life here.

The families of the two girls that were burnt to death in the Tiger disco fire received 1 million baht.

• Like 1

2million baht ducati! amazing

The "entry-level" Monster 796 is 400k... The Panigale that got rammed is not assembled here, so it is subject to the crazy vehicle import tax... it is for all intents and purposes a serious race bike - much of the frame is composite and it is insanely powerful - 195hp from a twin-cyinder 1200cc engine. It is a serious piece of technology and if you compare it to its automobile counterparts, like Ferrari and Lamborghini, which start around 30 million baht, it is a real bargain.

• Like 1

2million baht ducati! amazing

The "entry-level" Monster 796 is 400k... The Panigale that got rammed is not assembled here, so it is subject to the crazy vehicle import tax... it is for all intents and purposes a serious race bike - much of the frame is composite and it is insanely powerful - 195hp from a twin-cyinder 1200cc engine. It is a serious piece of technology and if you compare it to its automobile counterparts, like Ferrari and Lamborghini, which start around 30 million baht, it is a real bargain.

Thank you as i wasnt aware of that...xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.7BHxcTK2hg.webp

I think we can ignore the racing bit. That's a red herring in these circumstances. Ducati riders don't need to race anyone.

This looks like a straightforward drunk driving incident and the driver needs to be locked up (after he's paid the required 450k).

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of Thais don't know the difference. A neighbor of mine had one and he would drive home and I would look at it....it was a beautiful machine. thai response was : "meh, motorbike." It was just another machine as far as they were concerned.

I'd be interested to know what the 450k repairs were....

I would expect that a Panigale comes standard with Marchesini wheels which won't have taken kindly to being hit square on by 1000kg of steel at even a low speed and with the impact cushioned by a tyre.

Also I would question the chassis' resistance to that kind of impact, particulalry the swing arm and pivot area of the frame / engine casing. At this level of design everthing is minimised to resist only design forces transmitted by "normal" use of the bike, this doesn't usually include being rear ended by a car!

If it were my Panigale I'd be extremely worried about just having new plastics and paint without some kind of structural alignment checks being done.

• Like 1

There's no doubt the frame has been bent upwards... even if a millimetre or two.

If the frame alignment is not 100% factory perfect the bike will be dangerous to ride at high speed and especially when cornering at speed. I have track dayed most of the GP circuits in Europe on an Aptillia Factory, and a Ducati Mh900e, and believe me you need the bike to be absolutely laser straight.

I wouldn't ride that bike unless a Ducati trained engineer gives me a written report that it is factory safe.

Beautiful bike that Duke....what a sight to see it on its side.

Edited by harleyclarkey

I think we can ignore the racing bit. That's a red herring in these circumstances. Ducati riders don't need to race anyone.

Please tell that to every kid who pulls up next to me on one at a stoplight- sometimes I let them go, but other times I just have to ruin their whole day.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

Please tell that to every kid who pulls up next to me on one at a stoplight- sometimes I let them go, but other times I just have to ruin their whole day.wink.png

Even on my ninja 650 i can take out almost any car I want There is no need to race cars as the can't keep up with the bikes anyway (if the bike rider is so inclined)

• Like 1

Please tell that to every kid who pulls up next to me on one at a stoplight- sometimes I let them go, but other times I just have to ruin their whole day.wink.png

Even on my ninja 650 i can take out almost any car I want There is no need to race cars as the can't keep up with the bikes anyway (if the bike rider is so inclined)

I meant every kid on a Ducati.;)

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this, but racing on the street, sohm nam naa.

Sometimes the race is only in the mind of one of the parties. I was riding home at a reasonably spirited pace from my girlfriends place in central Bangkok about 2 years ago on my gsxr. After about 10 minutes I realized some kid on a cbr150 was 'racing' me and performing some pretty stupid moves through traffic to stay close to me. I wasn't interested, so I slowed down to let him by, at which point he tried to undercut a car that was turning left into a gas station (the car wasn't indicating) and heard a sickening crunching noise and saw him fly over the bonnet. He was going around 70kph.

My point being, it's quite possible the Ducati rider was not aware that the drunk in the car was 'racing' him.

My thoughts as well... I doubt the Ducati driver would want race an old car, no point, so the race was in the drunks mind. Sad thing is the drunk probably doesn't have 450K baht to pay, nor will his insurance if he has that. The Ducati driver is probably dependent on his own insurance which should pay for repairs unless he admits to racing.... and even then as he was stopped when hit.

But true that the real story is drunk driving, but didnt seem to be important as reported.

and what we're also missing is the possibility that the car driver decided he had lost soooooo much face because a bike had passed him, either intentionally or because it was just quicker than his pile of crap that he had to ram the guy off his bike.......to get his face back? now that is seriously scarey as im always faster than anything around town simply because my bike accelerates faster than some 1 ton turd with an auto gearbox.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this, but racing on the street, sohm nam naa.

Sometimes the race is only in the mind of one of the parties. I was riding home at a reasonably spirited pace from my girlfriends place in central Bangkok about 2 years ago on my gsxr. After about 10 minutes I realized some kid on a cbr150 was 'racing' me and performing some pretty stupid moves through traffic to stay close to me. I wasn't interested, so I slowed down to let him by, at which point he tried to undercut a car that was turning left into a gas station (the car wasn't indicating) and heard a sickening crunching noise and saw him fly over the bonnet. He was going around 70kph.

My point being, it's quite possible the Ducati rider was not aware that the drunk in the car was 'racing' him.

Same thing has happened to me a few times . Was on my ER6N and in a bit of hurry , a Thai guy on another ER6N started to race me but I was not interested .( I am 53 and just an average rider at best with a good imagination ) . Anyways there was a break in traffic that I could take advantage of which he could not , later he caught up with me which was not difficult to do, scowled and shook his fist at me like I was cheating , and rode off . Many similar instances here , people thinking they are in a race with you when all your trying to do is get somewhere .

I dont think so the guy on ducati wanted a race as it is stupid to race with an old car!

Again, dont mess with 4 wheel vehicles on a car. If you want to race on roads at least race with another motorcycle.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app