Anger Mismanagement: Raging motorist rams Ducati, learns expensive lesson

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can ignore the racing bit. That's a red herring in these circumstances. Ducati riders don't need to race anyone.

Please tell that to every kid who pulls up next to me on one at a stoplight- sometimes I let them go, but other times I just have to ruin their whole day.wink.png

Even on my ninja 650 i can take out almost any car I want There is no need to race cars as the can't keep up with the bikes anyway (if the bike rider is so inclined)

Normal acceleration on must large bore bikes would seem like a race take off to the average car driver

I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this, but racing on the street, sohm nam naa.

Sometimes the race is only in the mind of one of the parties. I was riding home at a reasonably spirited pace from my girlfriends place in central Bangkok about 2 years ago on my gsxr. After about 10 minutes I realized some kid on a cbr150 was 'racing' me and performing some pretty stupid moves through traffic to stay close to me. I wasn't interested, so I slowed down to let him by, at which point he tried to undercut a car that was turning left into a gas station (the car wasn't indicating) and heard a sickening crunching noise and saw him fly over the bonnet. He was going around 70kph.

My point being, it's quite possible the Ducati rider was not aware that the drunk in the car was 'racing' him.

Same thing has happened to me a few times . Was on my ER6N and in a bit of hurry , a Thai guy on another ER6N started to race me but I was not interested .( I am 53 and just an average rider at best with a good imagination ) . Anyways there was a break in traffic that I could take advantage of which he could not , later he caught up with me which was not difficult to do, scowled and shook his fist at me like I was cheating , and rode off . Many similar instances here , people thinking they are in a race with you when all your trying to do is get somewhere .

Naamoot you seem to know a lot about what the other biker was doing.............wink.png

The Panigale reaches 140kph in 3rd gear.

Here is a Panigale VS Ferrari Italia.

Bye Bye.

lots of bikes will do 140 kph in third.

and some easily in 1st gear

Not many- my bike is no slouch, and even with the limiter raised 500rpm over stock I can only hit 134kph in 1st (according to Gearing Commander, at any rate;)).

^

True- a lot of bikes (including the Panigale) go faster than that in 2nd gear.Posted Image

I'll have to tell you about my Middle East spec 2004 R1 one day :)

159kph at the 13,750rpm redline- that thing would rev forever.
I see you do your homework, nice. In the ME they get the full monty. Not like the majority of asthmatic, restricted factory sold superbikes in Thailand that couldn't pull the skin off of a custard. A friend's Thai bought 2010 ZX10R was gutless and he spent a bundle trying to make it go fast. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The Panigale reaches 140kph in 3rd gear.

Here is a Panigale VS Ferrari Italia.

Bye Bye.

lots of bikes will do 140 kph in third.

and some easily in 1st gear

Not many- my bike is no slouch, and even with the limiter raised 500rpm over stock I can only hit 134kph in 1st (according to Gearing Commander, at any rate;)).
My 2004 999S will easily do the numbers. They came out from the factory very tall ratios. I actually geared it down to make it more traffic friendly. We will have to meet up one day. :)

I'm going to make an effort to get out on the road in 2014 and meet up with some people from a couple of the forums- I've been busy this year working to pay for my toys- next year I want to play with them.;)

Sounds like a plan, as I'm in the same boat. These days I get to ride probably 2,000 kms a year at most.

Nice shot of a Panigale-S.

attachicon.gif1199Panigale-S.jpg

These bikes are great and just get better every time. They deserve a lot of respect.

But... if the Japs were to do something similar, sell to the public what they use to repeatedly beat Ducati on all the tracks of the world, since years, then the story would be different. Unfortunately, they are self-limiting themselves.

Edited by paz

I'm going to make an effort to get out on the road in 2014 and meet up with some people from a couple of the forums- I've been busy this year working to pay for my toys- next year I want to play with them.wink.png

Sounds like a plan, as I'm in the same boat. These days I get to ride probably 2,000 kms a year at most.

wah ! i do that in a month !

get on the road smile.png

2 million baht penis extension. Pathetic.

I always wonder about guys who write posts like that. It reminds me of a certain know-it-all poster on TV who refers to others as having 'lesser intellect' all the while using poor grammar.

I take it you don't ride big bikes. If someone likes Ducs and has the dosh, what's the problem? A modern Ducati Superbike is something to behold. As are the, albeit slightly cheaper, Jap in-line 4's.

Would a cheaper Duc be better in your eyes? Maybe a Thai built 795 Monster wouldn't bring out the trolls.

• Like 2

I'm going to make an effort to get out on the road in 2014 and meet up with some people from a couple of the forums- I've been busy this year working to pay for my toys- next year I want to play with them.Posted Image

wah ! i do that in a month !

get on the road Posted Image

Yeah but I work the Middle East 10 months of the year and I'm a fair weather rider for my 999S if I have a choice. Those 2 odd thousand kms is shit eating grin riding for me. :)
  • Like 1

Yeah but I work the Middle East 10 months of the year and I'm a fair weather rider for my 999S if I have a choice. Those 2 odd thousand kms is shit eating grin riding for me. :)

You're up in Chiang Rai right? I remember riding from Nan to Chiang Rai a few years back on my Northern Thailand tour. Fast sweeping curves as I recall. The best part of the journey.

You're up in Chiang Rai right? I remember riding from Nan to Chiang Rai a few years back on my Northern Thailand tour. Fast sweeping curves as I recall. The best part of the journey.
Some very good roads up and around the surrounds of Chiang Rai

Ducati is the shit. Surprisingly I see many young thai guys on Ducatis, despite the fact that it's a bit expensive.

FWIW, theyre mostly on the THB 400k Monsters, not the THB 1.5M Superbikes.

Bit of a broad statement to be honest. Most of the Thai guys I know in Bangkok and Chiang Rai have varying levels of superbikes: 848's, 999/S, 1098/S, 1198/S, 1199's etc. Some also have Hypers & Monsters, but thy are in the minority in the superbike ranks here. :)

Ducati is the shit. Surprisingly I see many young thai guys on Ducatis, despite the fact that it's a bit expensive.

FWIW, theyre mostly on the THB 400k Monsters, not the THB 1.5M Superbikes.

Bit of a broad statement to be honest. Most of the Thai guys I know in Bangkok and Chiang Rai have varying levels of superbikes: 848's, 999/S, 1098/S, 1198/S, 1199's etc. Some also have Hypers & Monsters, but thy are in the minority in the superbike ranks here. smile.png

Just the [subjective] facts of my observations over the years: in '98, NO Ducatis to be seen on the streets of Krungthep. In 2013, LOTS of Monsters in Krungthep. This is a GOOD THING, BTW. I am BKK-based, and the Thais on Ducs I see in BKK are riding almost exclusively Monsters... and as most Ducs in LoS are in BKK since the real money is in the Capitol, most Thais on Ducs are Monster dudes.

Unscientific, sure. but hey: there ya go!

If there are Thai Superbike owners in BKK, their bikes, by-and-large, are garage queens never sullied on the streets of Krungthep. and frankly, thats to the benefit of us ACTUAL DUCATI RIDERS: they take the bullet of paying 'Full Retail' with all taxes, and then in a few years of rarely riding the bikes, they realize they have not the Stones to ride a proper Superbike, and that BKK is not the place for them in any case. Soon they agree with the Wife to sell the beauty [the bike, not the wife since that would cost them Half of Everything they Own] at a serious discount! That's where WE come in :D

Enjoy the ride!