If you could build your house again....

Reading threw this, Kinda reinforces my decision to rent in Thailand.

What a great retirement destination this is.

Money spent? Building a home here is just not worth it.

A huge wast of funds IMO.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A foreign licensed plumber and electrician did all of my plumbing and electrics in the three buildings that I built since I came to stay in early 1998, me! I also have a contractors license. I had to get them all to build my house in the US on my own under the GI bill. All of the fittings and electrics are available in Thailand. Bringing someone from abroad is not necessary and could cause a real problem since he would, by law, have to obtain a work permit. There are competent people here, you just have to search for them.

• Like 1

Reading threw this, Kinda reinforces my decision to rent in Thailand.

What a great retirement destination this is.

Money spent? Building a home here is just not worth it.

A huge wast of funds IMO.

Imo renting is without a doubt a huge waste of funds. Granted the house is not mine, although a 30 year lease is a longish time. So therefore my build budget is 1.2 million baht divide that by 30 years and I bet it's cheaper than your rent, stays in our pocket, and probably a much bigger place than yours at a guess. My lounge room is 12 metres x 8 metres with a nice mountain view. Hows yours? Not to mention my daughter and wife will always have a nice modern large comfortable roof over their heads. Thats important to me. I understand building is not always the option for many, many though it is, and I enjoy building. Imo rent money is dead money. Let's consider what it costs to buy a new 4x4 in Thailand? For that same money we built a house. Cheers.

• Like 1

Is there a smilie which is rubbing it 's hands?

This will do ... clicking-your-heels-smiley-emoticon.gif

Some nice to stay when I visit your pumpkin Patch in Thailand.

Sounds like a kick ass place you're gonna build Khun Kris ... biggrin.png

... sorry ... Uncle, Uncle Kris (he understands)

• Like 1

More Electricity Sockets (everywhere) especially in corners and in kitchen.

More topsoil before laying lawn....

AND 

Checked the garden lights were actually connected somewhere so we could switch them on !!!!

Oh no, they didn't even bother to connect the garden lights up! Once again it seems to be the electricians causing most issues.

One thing not mentioned on here, budget.

Once you get started things can very quickly spiral out of control, for many I would estimate that coming in at less than 25% over budget is a bonus.

Yes you can build houses cheap here, and thats exactly what you will have a cheap house.

As has already been mentioned western products are available here, check out the prices, they tax the shit out of them.

Yes quality tradesmen are available, but you aint going to get them for 300 baht per day

• Like 1

Once you get started things can very quickly spiral out of control, for many I would estimate that coming in at less than 25% over budget is a bonus.

Yes you can build houses cheap here, and thats exactly what you will have a cheap house.

As has already been mentioned western products are available here, check out the prices, they tax the shit out of them.

Yes quality tradesmen are available, but you aint going to get them for 300 baht per day

300 a day is a little cheap your right especially in the cities. 500 a day out in the country is possible. The difference being about 6 whole dollars. Not a lot for hard work really is it.

high pressure fittings and electrical kit are all available in thailand already

you need go no further than bangkok

QUALITY high pressure fittings and QUALITY electrical kit are NOT available in Thailand. It's mostly fake or <deleted> quality and any genuine, quality imported stuff is scarce and way overpriced.

A foreign licensed plumber and electrician did all of my plumbing and electrics in the three buildings that I built since I came to stay in early 1998, me! I also have a contractors license. I had to get them all to build my house in the US on my own under the GI bill. All of the fittings and electrics are available in Thailand. Bringing someone from abroad is not necessary and could cause a real problem since he would, by law, have to obtain a work permit. There are competent people here, you just have to search for them.

If an imported sparky or plumber was told to work with the <deleted> quality stuff here in LOS, he would laugh... then quit. If you gave a local sparky or plumber quality, imported stuff, he would be at first clueless, then say 'no promplem'... and then <deleted> it up royally.

Now, bring a qualified plumber and sparky and the stuff they need and build it 'to code', then the most troublesome parts of pretty much any home construction in LOS would be sorted.

If you are building a 3-bedroom flop for you and the family and using the plans endorsed by Thai building authorities and using local artisans, then go local, 100%. That's the first house done and dusted... walk away.

If you are building anything that you plan on being your final home, your retirement dream, your heaven here on earth, import the plumbing, electricals and the tradesmen. This forum and many others have pages of threads where people doing home building are seeking a good local electrician. But these people also want their houses wired correctly, safely and be finished in a reasonable amount of time. Your experience in 1998 is a good point in case. You found reasonably skilled locals about 15 years ago. I was lucky and found a decent sparky 6 years ago... to rewire the first clown's abortion. I know a couple of current home builders that can't even find a decent brick layer these days and their construction plans are way behind schedule or stalled because of this.

PS. krisb, don't be tempted to build something overly large with views and veranda's and decks and gardens and pools and fountains and oodles of guest rooms. Great when you are an impressionable sort with impressions to be made but when you are older, and there's just the two of you and family and friends come around a lot less (and that they will), then your palace will be more like a mausoleum and a bit of a bugger to keep clean as well.

• Like 1

300 a day is a little cheap your right especially in the cities. 500 a day out in the country is possible. The difference being about 6 whole dollars. Not a lot for hard work really is it.

Quality tradesmen make easily 1000 -1500 Bht/day in Bangkok these days.

Up country you don't find quality tradesmen, because they have never seen quality import stuff overthere, and they learn the trade in Bangkok.

Edited by jbrain

QUALITY high pressure fittings and QUALITY electrical kit are NOT available in Thailand. It's mostly fake or <deleted> quality and any genuine, quality imported stuff is scarce and way overpriced.

A foreign licensed plumber and electrician  did all of my plumbing and electrics in the three buildings that I built since I came to stay in early 1998, me! I also have a contractors license.   I had to get them all to build my house in the US on my own under the GI bill.  All of the fittings and electrics are available in Thailand.  Bringing someone from abroad is not necessary and could cause a real problem since he would, by law, have to obtain a work permit.  There are competent people here, you just have to search for them.

If an imported sparky or plumber was told to work with the <deleted> quality stuff here in LOS, he would laugh... then quit. If you gave a local sparky or plumber quality, imported stuff, he would be at first clueless, then say 'no promplem'... and then <deleted> it up royally.

Now, bring a qualified plumber and sparky and the stuff they need and build it 'to code', then the most troublesome parts of pretty much any home construction in LOS would be sorted.

If you are building a 3-bedroom flop for you and the family and using the plans endorsed by Thai building authorities and using local artisans, then go local, 100%. That's the first house done and dusted... walk away.

If you are building anything that you plan on being your final home, your retirement dream, your heaven here on earth, import the plumbing, electricals and the tradesmen. This forum and many others have pages of threads where people doing home building are seeking a good local electrician. But these people also want their houses wired correctly, safely and be finished in a reasonable amount of time. Your experience in 1998 is a good point in case. You found reasonably skilled locals about 15 years ago. I was lucky and found a decent sparky 6 years ago... to rewire the first clown's abortion. I know a couple of current home builders that can't even find a decent brick layer these days and their construction plans are way behind schedule or stalled because of this.

PS. krisb, don't be tempted to build something overly large with views and veranda's and decks and gardens and pools and fountains and oodles of guest rooms. Great when you are an impressionable sort with impressions to be made but when you are older, and there's just the two of you and family and friends come around a lot less (and that they will), then your palace will be more like a mausoleum and a bit of a bugger to keep clean as well.

Good post. The house is not that big, about 300sq/m. I'm only 38 so a while until I'm to old. I've already built the verandah so a bit late there. Big enough but not the biggest in the area that's for sure.

Up country you don't find quality tradesmen, because they have never seen quality import stuff overthere, and they learn the trade in Bangkok.

Your not completely right. My builder has done an excellent job so far. He's from up country. Its a bit much to suggest country towns don't have good tradesmen. Seek and you shall find.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Your not completely right. My builder has done an excellent job so far. He's from up country. Its a bit much to suggest country towns don't have good tradesmen. Seek and you shall find.

Quick edit. You would be shocked at the quality westerners are using in the country. My neighbours kitchen cost him over 500k. Quality is all over the place and good tradesman to build and install. Once my place is finished I'm happy to put some pics up for you to decide quality or not. I've been in construction for over 20 years myself and would employ some of these guys no worries.

• Like 1

Quick edit. You would be shocked at the quality westerners are using in the country. My neighbours kitchen cost him over 500k. Quality is all over the place and good tradesman to build and install. Once my place is finished I'm happy to put some pics up for you to decide quality or not. I've been in construction for over 20 years myself and would employ some of these guys no worries.

No need to tell me Kris, I have built a house here, probably you have seen the pictures in the real estate forum.

It was built with foreign supervision, and took 3 years instead of the estimated 7 - 8 months, and almost a year thereafter correcting things.

From pictures you can't judge quality, and because your neighbors kitchen cost 500K doesn't mean it is finished up to standard. I don't say it isn't good, but I assume it is a foreigner as well, because Thais up country who use that quality are few and far between.

Because quality fittings are available doesn't mean the local tradesmen have a clue how to use them.

You say your builder has done an excellent job, but in the previous post you say that all you have built so far is the veranda. My understanding is that are a couple of pillars with a roof on top.Wait until you start building the house .

At my house EVERYTHING has been done 3 times over. If you are not watching them 26 hours a day, it will be build to Thai standard.

Cutting corners is the national product. Being it only putting in 3 screws where there supposed to be 4 or using sub standard steel to save a hundred baht, and believe me if you don't have the knowledge you can't see the difference if they lay it right in front of you.

• Like 1

Jbrain I hear what your saying. So far so good anyway. The verandah at ours has been built after although it's not that much further along than you guessed. What happened with yours that a foreign supervisor took 3 years? The guy I use has built several houses around and I've checked his work and he passes so I'm quietly confident. It helps when you know what to look for.

Jbrain I hear what your saying. So far so good anyway. The verandah at ours has been built after although it's not that much further along than you guessed. What happened with yours that a foreign supervisor took 3 years? The guy I use has built several houses around and I've checked his work and he passes so I'm quietly confident. It helps when you know what to look for.

What happened with mine is what I described in my post. Everything has been done 3 times over.

The whole electrical installation has been removed, that was after it was " corrected " already. With removed I mean that every single wire has been stripped out of the tubes.

The roof has been taken off twice. All windows and doors have been removed after they were installed and another contractor has installed decent ones, and a third contractor has finished the job.

There have been 4 floor tilers at work, one who claimed to be an experienced tiler who just finished a large project, but he didn't even knew he had to use glue and it turned out that he actually was an aluminium window tradesman and these were the first floor tiles he had ever held in his hands.The majority of floors have been broken up and replaced by new tiles.

A lot of the steel work has been sent back and replaced by the correct one.

The topsoil has all been removed as it turned out to be pure clay.

When I have time I will make a list, but it may take a page or two.

I have aged 15 years in those 3 years.

• Like 1

Good post. The house is not that big, about 300sq/m. I'm only 38 so a while until I'm to old. I've already built the verandah so a bit late there. Big enough but not the biggest in the area that's for sure.

300sqm living space is a pretty big house IMO.

The house is not that big, about 300sq/m.

With a budget of 1.2 million, that works out at 4,000 baht per sqm.

Whats he building, 4 walls and a roof.

The cheapest he would get is about 5-8000 baht psm, Thai style.

8-12k psm half decent, 15-20k psm quality.

Even at the cheapest estimate of 5,000 x 300 = 1.5 million, falls in with the original estimate plus 25%.

Best of luck to the OP, cant wait for the photos.

The OP should check out a thread by Mr Bojangles called my cheap house in the boonies.

• Like 1

Even at the cheapest estimate of 5,000 x 300 = 1.5 million, falls in with the original estimate plus 25%.

The OP should check out a thread by Mr Bojangles called my cheap house in the boonies.

Well so far it's on budget. 300 sq m includes verandah. This thread is simply asking what you would have done differently at your place.I'm not here to get into a battle over what my place is costing but maybe you just paid to much?

Well so far it's on budget. 300 sq m includes verandah. This thread is simply asking what you would have done differently at your place.I'm not here to get into a battle over what my place is costing but maybe you just paid to much?
BTW 15 to 20 sq m is expensive even here in Australia . Unless your building with gold.

I've just been doing some calculations and I'm quietly confident it won't exceed the budget by much. I'm not including any landscaping or fences. Those big fences are quite expensive. Anyway, stay tuned, I have kept every single materials invoice and labour cost so once finished I will but up a detailed thread.

Then you guys can say see, we told you so!

I hear all the time that people would do things differently with their house.This will be my first house built.And it will be on the outskirts of Korat.Are there any contractors that you would recommend etc?

yes I can reccomend someone he is overseeing my build which you can view if you like it is about 3km from the mall. pm me for more details.

• 3 weeks later...

I converted one toilet to a storage room, only one bathroom which is also attached to bedroom by a door thinking that as a vacation house it wouldnt matter, it is a little annoying on the rare occasions we have guests to share the bathroom.

We NEVER use the indoor kitchen for cooking, only storage. If I had my way I would never cook indoors again.

Had a water tower installed but it was too far from the house to get a decent pressure so need a pump into the house.