Buying health Insuurence thailand

BigC

For some reason I can't post the opening post in this response.

I sympathise with the OPs predicament but I am not surprised, anyone who thinks they have family Health insurance for 50K THB a year is mistaken.

I pay around 300K THB a year for a BUPA international policy covering myself, wife and child. It is around that figure you should expect to be paying for REAL health insurance.

Most of these insurance policies offered here are just glorified accident policies, and many of these cheap policies will dump you at the first sign of ill health, leaving you uninsurable for any company.

So what u r saying is that if it is cheep then I am wrong

I should have asked them to charge me 300 k then everything would have been alright

The fact is that I asked them many questions before I paid

So I am a fool for trusting an international bupa company and I am a fool for thinking that I should pay more for Insuurence

It only covers me for 1 million baht

Which is not the same as other policy's but covers me for broken bones health issues and a million baht clears anything such as broken bones extra

What I ask is if I paid 300 k does that make it 100 per cent full proof that all the small writing and all the hidden Clauses that they won't leave me out to dry when I need it the most

Wasn't expecting Insuurence for cancer or any long term related illness just enough to cover the basics

Does that me me stupid

Put it this way if I had no Insuurence I saved my 300 k then I would have paid my hospital bill with change and that is only 1 year so within the past 2 years with no hospital claims I would have been 600 k up

If the Insuurence is too expensive then it prices itself out of the market

Insurance is no different to any other product in that you get what you pay for.

On the other hand there is absolutely no need to pay 300,000 baht for an insurance policy covering two adults and a child unless you need unlimited liability, out-patient, dental and optical, coverage worldwide including North America, and you are very old! I pay around 120,000 for a family of four and the limits are good, it includes OPD and covers worldwide ex North America. We had an 80,000 baht claim this year which was paid in full directly to the hospital.

My advice to anyone is know what you need and only buy that. Buy local coverage only if you want (see broon97's link) and purchase travel insurance for any trips overseas. This is much cheaper than including North American coverage in a health policy, for example. But make sure you have good limits. 1m is not enough!

Use a broker if necessary and don't believe Thai insurance agents as you are likely to have as much knowledge as many of them.

OP, please read the advice in my previous post if you haven't. You need to know whether or not your insurers will pay up.

Recently I saw a link to a French Insurance company for Expat health insurance.

I have looked everywher but can.t find it.

I seem to remember they had schemes for French nationals in France and also for Expats of all nationalities.

Rates were reasonable, especially over 65's.

Can anyone put me back on their track?

I think the company is called ACS : http://www.acs-ami.com/en/acs/expatasia

I sympathise with the OPs predicament but I am not surprised, anyone who thinks they have family Health insurance for 50K THB a year is mistaken.

I pay around 300K THB a year for a BUPA international policy covering myself, wife and child. It is around that figure you should expect to be paying for REAL health insurance.

Most of these insurance policies offered here are just glorified accident policies, and many of these cheap policies will dump you at the first sign of ill health, leaving you uninsurable for any company.

I should have asked them to charge me 300 k then everything would have been alright

So I am a fool for trusting an international bupa company and I am a fool for thinking that I should pay more for Insuurence

Which is not the same as other policy's but covers me for broken bones health issues and a million baht clears anything such as broken bones extra

What I ask is if I paid 300 k does that make it 100 per cent full proof that all the small writing and all the hidden Clauses that they won't leave me out to dry when I need it the most

Wasn't expecting Insuurence for cancer or any long term related illness just enough to cover the basics

Does that me me stupid

Put it this way if I had no Insuurence I saved my 300 k then I would have paid my hospital bill with change and that is only 1 year so within the past 2 years with no hospital claims I would have been 600 k up

Insurance is no different to any other product in that you get what you pay for.

On the other hand there is absolutely no need to pay 300,000 baht for an insurance policy covering two adults and a child unless you need unlimited liability, out-patient, dental and optical, coverage worldwide including North America, and you are very old! I pay around 120,000 for a family of four and the limits are good, it includes OPD and covers worldwide ex North America. We had an 80,000 baht claim this year which was paid in full directly to the hospital.

My advice to anyone is know what you need and only buy that. Buy local coverage only if you want (see broon97's link) and purchase travel insurance for any trips overseas. This is much cheaper than including North American coverage in a health policy, for example. But make sure you have good limits. 1m is not enough!

Use a broker if necessary and don't believe Thai insurance agents as you are likely to have as much knowledge as many of them.

OP, please read the advice in my previous post if you haven't. You need to know whether or not your insurers will pay up.

Thanks I have paid the bill myself now and read all posts when I have time

There is not need for them not to pay up and the fact that I had to pay the bill then claim back is very wrong

Luckily for me I am a samui resident so I can pay deposit then rest later and I get a discount but that is not the point

I just want to make sure that of anyone else takes this company and believes all the b s they sell with it and they are looking for Insuurence right now but don't know who to trust then I can safely say that I shall not be using bupa anymore as I have just presented the facts

Even if they pay up 1 month from now then that is no good if I was for example in Phuket or bangkok I would be in jail

I even joked with he staff about this

They told me they have problems daily with Insurrance and have legal teams on standby a real head ache for all

If I could have gone to a healer hospital then I would but only had a choice of 2 Bangkok hospital samui or taksin hospital suarathani and as I was in need of quick medical help I had not much choice

Thanks for all posts and advise as I shall be looking else where to purchase next time also based on people's experiences specially expats in Thailand thanks

I have a "retirement visa" but still carry US health insurance at exorbitant prices. Been considering Thai or expat insurance. Between the changes going on with "Obamacare", and all the different info on policies here, I have a constant headache. I wonder if that would be covered..

Does that me me stupid

I'm not calling you a fool, but wasn't the whole point of your post to show that the policy you bought was not worth the paper it was written on?

Edited by Satcommlee

Recently I saw a link to a French Insurance company for Expat health insurance.

I have looked everywher but can.t find it.

I seem to remember they had schemes for French nationals in France and also for Expats of all nationalities.

Rates were reasonable, especially over 65's.

Can anyone put me back on their track?

I think the company is called ACS : http://www.acs-ami.com/en/acs/expatasia

thanks has anyone had experience with this company thanks

Does that me me stupid

I'm not calling you a fool, but wasn't the whole point of your post to show that the policy you bought was not worth the paper it was written on?

yes but one can only do so much investigating about ones inssurence then the rest shall find out after the problem has occurred.

spent a long time in the office asking every question i could possibly answer, the answer that the staff gave were back up with their policiy paperwork.

i was only about 18,000 baht to cover but i am not cover for anything related to asthma because i told them.

my child was around 50 k. that was the expensive one. Now my biggest worry is my child as they are most at risk of health issues and are not old enought to work or know what they should or should not do in the face of danger

Satcommlee, you pay 300,000 baht per year. More power to you. You are in a high income bracket. We lowly income individuals can afford lot less than that. So, we go to the cheap and maybe scam insurance companies. You eat rib eye and I eat double cheese burger.

<snip> You eat rib eye and I eat double cheese burger.

And that is why you need a good health insurance.

For 300,000 baht per year I rather self insure. I also have from other country. Oh, I eat single burger once a month.

• Like 1

<snip> You eat rib eye and I eat double cheese burger.

And that is why you need a good health insurance.

For 300,000 baht per year I rather self insure. I also have from other country. Oh, I eat single burger once a month.

300K is excessive, I agree. but it does cover absolutely everything in and out patient, GP visits etc., there are core covers that are available cheaper.

My company effectively covers the cost so this is why I went for the best.

but threads like this are important reminders for expats.

If you have a cheap policy and say you suffer a heart attack, whilst the insurance may look after you, you may find that on renewal they will decline cover, or the price goes exponentially high.

If you find yourself in the position where you have just been declined cover, then you will find yourself un-insurable - no company will touch you with a barge pole after you have had a heart attack. This probably means you may need to return home to state funded healthcare and life in Thailand is over.

Real health insurance policies do not penalise you financially if you have suffered ill health and can't decline cover as long as you keep up the payments.

25K a month is a lot of money to spend, in fact it is scandalous but I know as long as I keep paying it and no matter what happens health-wise, I can always stay in Thailand with my family, use the best hospitals like Bumrumgrad/Bangkok Hospital group no matter what sort of medical wreck I may become in the future.

Does that me me stupid

yes but one can only do so much investigating about ones inssurence then the rest shall find out after the problem has occurred.

spent a long time in the office asking every question i could possibly answer, the answer that the staff gave were back up with their policiy paperwork.

i was only about 18,000 baht to cover but i am not cover for anything related to asthma because i told them.

my child was around 50 k. that was the expensive one. Now my biggest worry is my child as they are most at risk of health issues and are not old enought to work or know what they should or should not do in the face of danger

Your child's health insurance was 50k and yours 18k? That is unbelievable. How old is the child and does he/she have any specific problems? It doesn't sound right to me.

Does that me me stupid

Your child's health insurance was 50k and yours 18k? That is unbelievable. How old is the child and does he/she have any specific problems? It doesn't sound right to me.

No just children are more proven to getting sick as when there immune systems have not fully developed

You can get the Thai health insurance for 2,200 baht a year.

No its not as good as private but you can make it as good with a little largess here and there. I do not know why this info isn't on T.V but is on all other sites........but I am sure its nothing to do with the fact that so many insurance companies advertise for clients here.

E=mailed to me last week & verified.

Today I went to hospital and got my "Health card for Foreigner". You have to bring your passport (with copy) and yellow book (with copy), and if you married copy of your wife's bluebook and ID card. Your yellow book has to show where you live. If you married or not does not matter. The total cost is 2800 baht for the medical (600) and first years payment---2,200 after that, and the card is valid for one year. I do not know about renew details. I arrived at the hospital around 9 am and before lunch all tests and x-ray were done. After lunch went back and saw the doctor and I was out of the hospital around 2pm. Bring a Thai speaking person it helps a lot.

So if I get sick in the future I pay the same 30 baht as the Thais to visit hospital. I was surprised that it also cover HIV and Cancer treatment.

I forgot what a yellow book was. Does it have anything to do with your house?

So this type of insurance doesn't apply to the ones with ED visa, right?

No its not as good as private but you can make it as good with a little largess here and there. I do not know why this info isn't on T.V but is on all other sites........but I am sure its nothing to do with the fact that so many insurance companies advertise for clients here.

Today I went to hospital and got my "Health card for Foreigner". You have to bring your passport (with copy) and yellow book (with copy), and if you married copy of your wife's bluebook and ID card. Your yellow book has to show where you live. If you married or not does not matter. The total cost is 2800 baht for the medical (600) and first years payment---2,200 after that, and the card is valid for one year. I do not know about renew details. I arrived at the hospital around 9 am and before lunch all tests and x-ray were done. After lunch went back and saw the doctor and I was out of the hospital around 2pm. Bring a Thai speaking person it helps a lot.

So if I get sick in the future I pay the same 30 baht as the Thais to visit hospital. I was surprised that it also cover HIV and Cancer treatment.

It seems the yellow book is not needed. Re the ED visa try it and see.

No just children are more proven to getting sick as when there immune systems have not fully developed

I think what Mitch is saying is that the difference in premiums between yourself and your kid is too much. My kid has a surcharge of I think 50% with Bupa, he is 6.

I think what Mitch is saying is that the difference in premiums between yourself and your kid is too much. My kid has a surcharge of I think 50% with Bupa, he is 6.

Correct.

In fact my 8 year old daughter's premium is less than half of mine (LMG PACIFIC)

BigC, your differential does not sound right.

Elaborate PLease.... Where do I get a Yellow book? I live in Bangkok bangna. After I get yellow book I just go to hospital like stated above?? Or to which place ?

Elaborate PLease.... Where do I get a Yellow book? I live in Bangkok bangna. After I get yellow book I just go to hospital like stated above?? Or to which place ?

Please see the thread Affordible Health insurance in the Health forum. Many of your questions are answered there. By the way it is best if people post about this scheme and their experiences in that thread so they are available to all.

Please see the thread Affordible Health insurance in the Health forum. Many of your questions are answered there. By the way it is best if people post about this scheme and their experiences in that thread so they are available to all.

I hope I can navigate to my answer. You could have written three sentences and helped me out better but ok I will try to first find that forum and second get the answers.

• Like 1

a Yellow book? I live in Bangkok bangna. After I get yellow book I just go to hospital like stated above?? Or to which place ?

I hope I can navigate to my answer. You could have written three sentences and helped me out better but ok I will try to first find that forum and second get the answers.

Thank you for your gratitude.

Of course I could write the same information and more 1000 times for each individual person.

a Yellow book? I live in Bangkok bangna. After I get yellow book I just go to hospital like stated above?? Or to which place ?

Thank you for your gratitude.

Of course I could write the same information and more 1000 times for each individual person.

Sorry, forgot to thank you. This thread could have been moved to that forum at the outset . Thanks,

after reading the posts it looks like health insurance in Thailand is more expensive then in the US. I requested quotes and they want from $400usd to 800usd for policy for husband and wife over 60 in excellent health. Is it less if we buy the insurance in Thailand after we get there?

after reading the posts it looks like health insurance in Thailand is more expensive then in the US. I requested quotes and they want from $400usd to 800usd for policy for husband and wife over 60 in excellent health. Is it less if we buy the insurance in Thailand after we get there?

They will give you a good price until you get ill, then they will refuse cover on the renewal leaving you uninsurable.. I keep on about the same subject time and time again.. if you want proper health insurance then you are talking many thousands of dollars a year not baht!

• 1 month later...

I bought health insurance from BUPA for my Thai wife and our son but they do not cover neither offer insurance for dental care... where can I get insurance in BKK that will cover dental care..? thanks

I bought health insurance from BUPA for my Thai wife and our son but they do not cover neither offer insurance for dental care... where can I get insurance in BKK that will cover dental care..? thanks

Quite often with dental care insurance: if your teeth are in good health you can get it, but it will cost you more than the normal checks and occasional treatment; if your teeth are in not so good health you can't get it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...

Harry, I understand you enrolled and like the system, hell, I also like the system, and am hoping it will be applied to everybody.

But at the moment the information is really sketchy, so telling people they can enroll is simply not true (neither is telling people that they can't enroll), there are too many uncertainties about enrollment at present, let alone in the future.

I do not know why people are posting (thinking) there are uncertainties in this scheme ---there isn't I got my card today in Udon Thani and was told that this region is one of the last to come in line with the cards....

Its now country wide.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Since mid-August, foreigners who live in Udon Thani Muang district have the opportunity to join the Thai national health insurance scheme. The decisive criterion is fixed residence, which must be demonstrated by the production of a yellow house book.

http://udon-news.com/en/law/health-insu ... foreigners

hello, i am actually very interesting in this scheme. Is it possibile to use a resihence certificate from the immigration, or i need a yellow book? thank you so muck

Many thanks OXO1947 for the info, I shall be going down to my local hospital and making the application as soon as I have recovered from the pulled muslce in my leg and can drive.

FYI, I had an X-Ray (2) of my knee and tablets yesterday all for the cost of 359THB so I can't complain about that. Also earlier in the year I had an in-growing toe nail removed for less than 500THB.