Buying health Insuurence thailand

BigC

Check the health forum for more information. I think at the moment some provinces are cancelling and refunding people enrolled, in others they are still accepting (probably to be cancelled later).

• 7 months later...
For some reason I can't post the opening post in this response.

I sympathise with the OPs predicament but I am not surprised, anyone who thinks they have family Health insurance for 50K THB a year is mistaken.

I pay around 300K THB a year for a BUPA international policy covering myself, wife and child. It is around that figure you should expect to be paying for REAL health insurance.

Most of these insurance policies offered here are just glorified accident policies, and many of these cheap policies will dump you at the first sign of ill health, leaving you uninsurable for any company.

So what u r saying is that if it is cheep then I am wrong

I should have asked them to charge me 300 k then everything would have been alright

The fact is that I asked them many questions before I paid

So I am a fool for trusting an international bupa company and I am a fool for thinking that I should pay more for Insuurence

It only covers me for 1 million baht

Which is not the same as other policy's but covers me for broken bones health issues and a million baht clears anything such as broken bones extra

What I ask is if I paid 300 k does that make it 100 per cent full proof that all the small writing and all the hidden Clauses that they won't leave me out to dry when I need it the most

Wasn't expecting Insuurence for cancer or any long term related illness just enough to cover the basics

Does that me me stupid

Put it this way if I had no Insuurence I saved my 300 k then I would have paid my hospital bill with change and that is only 1 year so within the past 2 years with no hospital claims I would have been 600 k up

If the Insuurence is too expensive then it prices itself out of the market

I'm not calling you a fool, but wasn't the whole point of your post to show that the policy you bought was not worth the paper it was written on?

yes but one can only do so much investigating about ones inssurence then the rest shall find out after the problem has occurred.

spent a long time in the office asking every question i could possibly answer, the answer that the staff gave were back up with their policiy paperwork.

i was only about 18,000 baht to cover but i am not cover for anything related to asthma because i told them.

my child was around 50 k. that was the expensive one. Now my biggest worry is my child as they are most at risk of health issues and are not old enought to work or know what they should or should not do in the face of danger

Your child's health insurance was 50k and yours 18k? That is unbelievable. How old is the child and does he/she have any specific problems? It doesn't sound right to me.

No just children are more proven to getting sick as when there immune systems have not fully developed

• 3 weeks later...

Your child's health insurance was 50k and yours 18k? That is unbelievable. How old is the child and does he/she have any specific problems? It doesn't sound right to me.

Here's a chart from the American Society of Actuaries which shows the average aggregate amount spent on health care for males and females by each year of age. These are US figures but the principle holds true in most countries.

Children during their first 5 years incur surprisingly high levels of health care cost - the yearly cost then drops quite rapidly and is the lowest in the early teens. The average annual cost grows only slowly year by year until around age 50 where you can see that the graph starts an upward curve which means the increase in average health care costs each year is not a fixed amount but it grows exponentially. That curve continues pas this chart but it illustrates the point.

www.healthcostinstitute.org-files-Age-Cu

Assuming a health insurance company sets its premiums in line with the expected claims costs for the age of the insured, there are plenty of opportunities for, say, a child of 3 to have premium levels of 2-3 times that of one or both parents who may be 25 - 30 years old.

It certainly appears counter-intuitive at first but when you see the real life costs that drive premium rates to a large extent it becomes a lot less surprising.

Cheers

PCHI-logo-and-tagline-jpg-small.jpg