Thaksin Shinawatra escapes 'terrorism' charge

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee my sympathy is with those Thais too. Must be hard driving in your new BMW to a gentleman's club, while your wife is in an upmarket spa, and your Isaan maid, on less than the minimum wage, is scrubbing your floors. Your kids are out at an overpriced club at RCA preparing to drive home drunk & kill someone before they take over your crooked business that pays no tax and perpetuate the whole #$%@ed-up system.

So you believe that the 'educated awake' all have the quality of life and the family connections of ...." Must be hard driving in your new BMW to a gentleman's club, while your wife is in an upmarket spa, and your Isaan maid, on less than the minimum wage, is scrubbing your floors. Your kids are out at an overpriced club at RCA preparing to drive home drunk & kill someone before they take over your crooked business that pays no tax and perpetuate the whole #$%@ed-up system."

Well that's show your ignorance quite nicely, there is a growing sector who have better education (not at international schools, not abroad) who are realizing what's happening and are starting to talk about it in selected situations.

The sad thing is that 99% are frightened to speak out more openly. A sizeable number of this sector will, in selected company, quietly talk about the disparity in income, the lack of equal opportunity, the lack of equal or any justice for all.

One such sector are the middle class students currently doing their masters degree studies in English. I know, I teach many of them. Slowly more and more of these folks want to talk and discuss. Another point, I often heard the comment: 'I wish I understood more clearly how democracy should work etc.'

In one such discussion (never in the classroom) one young guy asked me to share some details about how democracy should work.

I made the point that all business enterprises should have a long term vision (with some macro targets) and a long-term macro level strategy of how to get there.

I then offered the analogy of a civil society; build and agree a picture (a vision) of what you want it to look like, and then define what needs building, what needs change etc., etc., to achieve the agreed vision of a civil society.

I further explained this is what is meant (in theory) by party policy, which in Thailand basically doesn't exist.

Please, I know just as well as anybody that democracy is far from perfect and is manipulated in any country, some much more than others, and in some countries the checks and balances are stronger and are enforced, and in some countries the checks and balances are deliberately destroyed.

Thaksin & PT are well supported by all sections of Thai society, bar the Bangkok old money, some military heads & the south. They came extremely close to winning Bangkok and have strong support from many top academics. Therefore I am wondering who these 'educated/awake Thais' are.

Just to clearify a bit, PT didn't come close to winning Bangkok in the last General Election and PT's specially selected Pol. General candidate (i.e. not Thaksin's telephole pole) didn't make it to be Governor of Bangkok. Recently DonMuang voted in a Democrats MP for it's constituency.

Furthermore the Democrats, BJT, CPT and whatever are also supported by all sections of Thai society. Saying ' Thaksin/Pt not supported' in the South is like saying 'Democrats not supported in the North-East' and seems to suggest an entire section of the Thai population is dismissed as not being important.

Maybe back to school for a refresher course , RichTeacher?

• Like 2

Let's see; I get a visitor who then goes on to commit a crime. Am I guilty of that crime? Stupid reasoning.

If you are aware, finance or help organise that crime then yes you are.
They should have done him for something less than terrorism.

It has be illegal even in Thailand to fund this type of thing.

Well if it is it's going to be very hard to prove. Wherever the money came from and personally I don't believe it came from just one man, how do you prove that the money that you put in to buy the ingredients for Laab and sticky rice for the citizens in Ratchadameon is diverted to paying the daily expenses of some yob who decides he's going to set light to an ATM?

In the case of the airport seizure it's far easier to pin the money put in to an activity (airport seizure) to the direct financial damage caused by that act. Even more embarassing when you have a former MoF revelling in it on stage.

Who put the money behind the blue shirts who started off the trouble at the Asean meeting, Pattaya - Newin even had the gall to show up with those army blue shirts with the deputy PM at the time, Suthep.

Who is currently supplying money to the various anti thaksin/anti government demonstrators at the moment? Wouldn't be too hard to find out but could be embarassing.

Don't think anybodys going to start looking too hard do you?

• Like 1

The ruling that Thaksin wasn't a terrorist after sponsoring the red riots and arson is a good one. It sets the stage for the consequences of the foolish actions by the Isaanites to be fully received. Thaksin will soon return to Thailand a free man, and continue turning Thailand into the authoritarian dictatorial state that the voters chose. That they turn their backs on basic human rights,freedom, justice and their children's prosperity is hilarious. That they are too afraid of critical thinking or are unable to make a rational decision for whatever reason worthy of derision. They will be able to regret their stupidity(in silence) but it will be too late by then, as IMO it is too late now. The ball has been set in motion and for the next few generations Thaksin, his family and offspring will be Thailand's rulers. Like Zimbabwe, North Korea,Marcos era Philippines and other family run dictatorships without any checks and balances to the ruling elites power the public will not be content but will have no way to change what they have done. I reserve my right to laugh at the great unwashed masses, and the more suffering the megalomaniac causes, the louder my laughter will be. Can't say they weren't warned. Som num bloody naa.

My sympathy lies with the educated/awake Thais that see what is happening clear as day, but are helplessly watching this slow motion car crash unfold. It must be an awful feeling.

Gee my sympathy is with those Thais too. Must be hard driving in your new BMW to a gentleman's club, while your wife is in an upmarket spa, and your Isaan maid, on less than the minimum wage, is scrubbing your floors. Your kids are out at an overpriced club at RCA preparing to drive home drunk & kill someone before they take over your crooked business that pays no tax and perpetuate the whole #$%@ed-up system.

So you believe that the 'educated awake' all have the quality of life and the family connections of ...." Must be hard driving in your new BMW to a gentleman's club, while your wife is in an upmarket spa, and your Isaan maid, on less than the minimum wage, is scrubbing your floors. Your kids are out at an overpriced club at RCA preparing to drive home drunk & kill someone before they take over your crooked business that pays no tax and perpetuate the whole #$%@ed-up system."

Well that's show your ignorance quite nicely, there is a growing sector who have better education (not at international schools, not abroad) who are realizing what's happening and are starting to talk about it in selected situations.

The sad thing is that 99% are frightened to speak out more openly. A sizeable number of this sector will, in selected company, quietly talk about the disparity in income, the lack of equal opportunity, the lack of equal or any justice for all.

One such sector are the middle class students currently doing their masters degree studies in English. I know, I teach many of them. Slowly more and more of these folks want to talk and discuss. Another point, I often heard the comment: 'I wish I understood more clearly how democracy should work etc.'

In one such discussion (never in the classroom) one young guy asked me to share some details about how democracy should work.

I made the point that all business enterprises should have a long term vision (with some macro targets) and a long-term macro level strategy of how to get there.

I then offered the analogy of a civil society; build and agree a picture (a vision) of what you want it to look like, and then define what needs building, what needs change etc., etc., to achieve the agreed vision of a civil society.

I further explained this is what is meant (in theory) by party policy, which in Thailand basically doesn't exist.

Please, I know just as well as anybody that democracy is far from perfect and is manipulated in any country, some much more than others, and in some countries the checks and balances are stronger and are enforced, and in some countries the checks and balances are deliberately destroyed.

Thaksin & PT are well supported by all sections of Thai society, bar the Bangkok old money, some military heads & the south. They came extremely close to winning Bangkok and have strong support from many top academics. Therefore I am wondering who these 'educated/awake Thais' are.

Of ourse they are oh rich one.

There are many ordinary Thais that also see through the BS, but I guess you probably don't get to meet them. I hope you are not teaching at my daughters school.

The ruling that Thaksin wasn't a terrorist after sponsoring the red riots and arson is a good one. It sets the stage for the consequences of the foolish actions by the Isaanites to be fully received. Thaksin will soon return to Thailand a free man, and continue turning Thailand into the authoritarian dictatorial state that the voters chose. That they turn their backs on basic human rights,freedom, justice and their children's prosperity is hilarious. That they are too afraid of critical thinking or are unable to make a rational decision for whatever reason worthy of derision. They will be able to regret their stupidity(in silence) but it will be too late by then, as IMO it is too late now. The ball has been set in motion and for the next few generations Thaksin, his family and offspring will be Thailand's rulers. Like Zimbabwe, North Korea,Marcos era Philippines and other family run dictatorships without any checks and balances to the ruling elites power the public will not be content but will have no way to change what they have done. I reserve my right to laugh at the great unwashed masses, and the more suffering the megalomaniac causes, the louder my laughter will be. Can't say they weren't warned. Som num bloody naa.

My sympathy lies with the educated/awake Thais that see what is happening clear as day, but are helplessly watching this slow motion car crash unfold. It must be an awful feeling.

Thaksin & PT are well supported by all sections of Thai society,

Wrong, they aren't.

• Like 1

The Thaksin-clan has moved corruption to the ultimate level. Prosecuters, judges, army-officers, politicians. All are in it now. But even if all charges are dropped and the pending sentence is pardoned, if the spider comes back to Thailand he will spend his last period of life in fear. A period that may very well be a short one. Yet the damage to the country is beyond repair already. There will be a long, hard way to go to get the country on track again.

Corruption is a systemic problem. It casts a wider net than just a high-placed bureaucrat skimming 33% - for awarding a juicy no-bid gov't contract to one of his friends. Others know about it. The contractor's wife, the bureaucrat's wire, their closest friends. All those could be considered co-conspirators. Then there are those in the know, and those who unfairly lost out on getting awarded the job, essentially all interested parties - who can easily connect the dots.

Then there are problems with jurists who, though they have strong evidence for malfeasance, are too cowed to take dynamic action. That would apply to essentially every judge in Thailand, and by extension, every cop, every politician, and truckloads of others who know about specific abuses in the system, but continually fail to act.

First off, it's considered naive and stupid (in Thailand) to make a fuss about corruption. It would be like making a fuss about inclement weather in a neighboring province. It just can't happen. Secondly, everyone in Thailand knows the pecking order of everyone they're in contact with, as it's a very stratified society. Whistle blowers essentially don't exist. Cowardliness is an indelible Thai trait. In sum, the whole system is corrupt. Every knows of specific cases, but no one wants to rock the boat. Indeed, everyone wants to be at the top of the money pyramid, like the Shinawatres and others. In the Italian mafia, US mafia, Colombian drug cartels, rich people are honored and outwardly respected, regardless of how they gained their wealth. Thailand is no different.

• Like 1

Plotting the overthrow of a standing government is treason, is it not? T not only plotted, he hired dozens or hundreds of others to implement his nefarious plans, supplied them with transport, food, and weapons. Imagine if any of us on T.Visa did a modicum of what Thaksin formulated in 2009 and 2010 - we'd be lucky to get fined and kicked out of the country as personna non grata. More likely, we'd face a firing squad, and deservedly.

Sure is a lot of exceptions you mentioned to the ones retarded enough to like and support him!