Nakhon Ratchasima to be proposed, developed as 'Second Bangkok'

webfact

Nakhon Ratchasima to be proposed, developed as 'Second Bangkok'
By English News

13814712297926-640x390x2.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Oct 10 - The government will propose this northeastern city to become the second Bangkok and develop it as the centre of transport to distribute wealth to the northeast.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt presided over the opening ceremony of Building Thailand's Future in 2020 in Nakhon Ratchasima and spoke on the government's Bt2 trillion infrastructure investment project.

He said the development of the transportation system is needed in order to facilitate those travelling to Nakhon Ratchasima, known as Korat, and other provinces.

As Korat is considered the gateway to the northeastern region and a link with neighbouring countries, Mr Chadchart said the province will potentially be seen as the second capital.

The key project of which changes will clearly be made in Korat in the next seven years is the change in transportation system from road to rail such as the future high-speed train from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima, taking only 90 minutes for the journey.

A budget of Bt450 billion, from the Bt2 trillion overall development funds, will be set for investments in the northeast. The budget includes building a custom house, flyover bridges and tunnels.

The government strategy is to develop 20 provinces in the northeast for further urbanisation and connectivity to neighbouring countries once the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) takes effect in 2015. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-11

Why not focus on developing the current bigger cities. Something a combo of Phuket+Bangkok would be amazing. Tall buildings, ocean, mountains, beach, big city.... designers paradise. :) Only thing im missing here in Phuket is the big city variety and entertainment with a Metro in where I can walk everywhere. Like a Miami but in thailand.

I know its a pipe dream but its what I want. :)

Whew! I thought they were planning on making Chiang Mai the New Krung Thep. You would think so, with all the BKK people here on the weekends, and all the new mall/condo monstrosities popping up like mushrooms. Go for it, Korat, and chok dee!

• Like 1

This is not really news. The current government wants to borrow big money to build railways. The folks, however, will continue to use busses. Cheaper and more flexible. Look at most other countries in the world and learn. Except politicians (not only here) don’t want to learn, they just want to borrow money and enrich themselves.
Thailand should focus on getting the business side of the economy over on rails, the rubber, rice, cassava, eucalyptus etc. The roads in Isan are clogged with 18 wheelers.

Unless you're buying a sleeper ticket the train will always be cheaper than the busses. Of course busses are more flexible because you can get off wherever you want, but trains are definitely safer, you can walk around, you can eat something in the restaurant carriage and you have generally more space than on a bus. And what countries are they supposed to look at? Thailand has the best public transport system in the world in terms of availability. It might not be the best quality system, but you can virtually get anywhere at anytime, and that's something other countries should take a look at! In Germany there aren't any busses at all in the nighttime, plus you can't just get on and off wherever you want there either and there also won't be any motorcycle taxis waiting for you at your busstop to take you home 24/7.

I agree with you. The availablilty here is great. But these high-speed trains are not the solution. The ticket price will be tenfold what you pay today, and even at that rate, they’ll lose money like crazy. And regarding safety, that's last on the list of Thai passengers...

This is not really news. The current government wants to borrow big money to build railways. The folks, however, will continue to use busses. Cheaper and more flexible. Look at most other countries in the world and learn. Except politicians (not only here) dont want to learn, they just want to borrow money and enrich themselves.

Thailand should focus on getting the business side of the economy over on rails, the rubber, rice, cassava, eucalyptus etc. The roads in Isan are clogged with 18 wheelers.

Rail systems are important to transfer people. The finest rail system in the world is in Hong Kong without question, the trains are very very frequent and always full and so cheap. I love going on them it is so well organised. You very rarely here of accidents on the HK rail system. The system is so easy to understand for visitors. The British engineering again. And the airport, what a feat of engineering reclaiming the land from the sea and building the finest airport in the world. The train system at the airport is amazing and into the city, no drivers all auto.

Thailand would never be able to have systems like this as they would do it them selves, no outside expertise to many ministers would want so many high ups in top invented positions, like minister of train lights, minister of toilets, minister of ticket systems, minister if train batteries etc etc.

Load of bull shit from another Falange

Pity the UK do not follow their system in the UK.

The government will propose this northeastern city to become the second Bangkok and develop it as the centre of transport to distribute wealth to the northeast.

Good idea...continue to print the money in Bangkok, transport it to Korat for redistribution to the loyal PTP members in the northeast. Better living through improved logistics.

This is not really news. The current government wants to borrow big money to build railways. The folks, however, will continue to use busses. Cheaper and more flexible. Look at most other countries in the world and learn. Except politicians (not only here) dont want to learn, they just want to borrow money and enrich themselves.

Unless you're buying a sleeper ticket the train will always be cheaper than the busses. Of course busses are more flexible because you can get off wherever you want, but trains are definitely safer, you can walk around, you can eat something in the restaurant carriage and you have generally more space than on a bus. And what countries are they supposed to look at? Thailand has the best public transport system in the world in terms of availability. It might not be the best quality system, but you can virtually get anywhere at anytime, and that's something other countries should take a look at! In Germany there aren't any busses at all in the nighttime, plus you can't just get on and off wherever you want there either and there also won't be any motorcycle taxis waiting for you at your busstop to take you home 24/7.

Sound as if you came from the Congo.

Obviously, any development in infrastructure will benefit Thailand. But is it quite alarming, how much money goes in to the development of the Northern part of Thailand. It would seem more prudent to spread the investments in infrastructure to the North and the South. Especially, the South is way behind in any decent development of the infrastructure, compared to the amount of Baht invested in the North.

Hope we will be able to choose which international airport we want to arrive: Khorat for Isaan or Bangkok for f...ers and sea tourists in South.

I heard few years ago they talked about Ubon Ratchathani which would be better center as Isaan "international airport" capital city than the City of Angels which will disappear under water, the Venice of Orient !

But as Khorat is in straight way to Northeastern part of Isaan, I glad to land in Khorat instead Krung Thep for reaching faster deeper Isaan !

And for the train project it will be possible to go in straight line from Khorat to China in international "express train" !

Edited by Westaurel

25 years ago wen Banhaan was PM they were planning to make Suphanburi the new capital. So dream on people of Korat. 25% of the infrastructure investements in Isaan 55555555, everybody knows why.

Because that is where about a third of the population come from?

• Like 2

Why not focus on developing the current bigger cities. Something a combo of Phuket+Bangkok would be amazing. Tall buildings, ocean, mountains, beach, big city.... designers paradise. smile.png Only thing im missing here in Phuket is the big city variety and entertainment with a Metro in where I can walk everywhere. Like a Miami but in thailand.

I know its a pipe dream but its what I want. smile.png

Korat is the 5th biggest city in Thailand. Phuket is number 16. Just fyi.

Approve of the principle but they don't need just one more mega city - try developing a network of powerful Regional cities like the UK did in its heyday (150 years ago!), Germany did 70 years ago and the US continues to do.

Korat? I have nothing against it, but didn't it flood badly two years ago?

Edited by SantiSuk

Korat? I have nothing against it, but didn't it flood badly two years ago?

I'm there now, visiting the outlaws, and it's damn close to flooding. I can think of better places to have a second Bangkok...Dubai anyone? tongue.png

Well, every one and then one of those smart fellows in the government (irrespective of who is calling the shots) come up with "ideas".
The moving of capital was on the cards with Chavalit Yongchaiyuth who wanted to move Bangkok to Chachoengsao. Today he would add a subway link between the two cities. The same executive had 25 years ago the splendid idea to turn entire Isan (Northeastern Thailand) green with his programme "Esarn Kiew" or อีสานเขียว . Except the electorates in his election district of Nakhon Phanom nobody took him serious except the Finance Minister who must have greenlighted study funds. The results are known - not green but relatively wet Esarn. Oh well ..........