Several Russian tourists injured in bus crash in Thailand

webfact

Guess no one here has spent time in Russia. They drive more dangerously there than here, and the roads are much worse.

Seen videos of them, driving instructors must come from the same place, dogems on the fairground!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all know that driving standards in Thailand are poor, the testing system seems more of a revenue recovery programme than deciding whether someone is fit to be allowed on the road in a vehicle. They( Thai drivers) have a poor positional sense on the road ( where they should be, who has the right of way), they have little consideration for other road users, they ignore road signs, traffic lights etc.

The ones that really get me ( I ride a pushbike) are the ones that have to evertake me and then turn left saving 2 seconds! Then there is the correct position of the hands on the steering wheel ten to two, yes you have great control there, I could go on, best to just anticipate as much as you can and drive defencibly.

None of this lot would pass a driving test in the UK, but they could turn up with a Thai driving licence and cause mayhem!

Does anybody here have any info on the tests etc that bus drivers need to take in Thailand...... would like to know.

Read 64. Public at one part of the day others at another, now you might think that 500bts in an envelope or book might secure the situation, I could not possibly comment.

We all know that driving standards in Thailand are poor, the testing system seems more of a revenue recovery programme than deciding whether someone is fit to be allowed on the road in a vehicle. They( Thai drivers) have a poor positional sense on the road ( where they should be, who has the right of way), they have little consideration for other road users, they ignore road signs, traffic lights etc.

The ones that really get me ( I ride a pushbike) are the ones that have to evertake me and then turn left saving 2 seconds! Then there is the correct position of the hands on the steering wheel ten to two, yes you have great control there, I could go on, best to just anticipate as much as you can and drive defencibly.

None of this lot would pass a driving test in the UK, but they could turn up with a Thai driving licence and cause mayhem!

I didn't think that a Thai DL would be valid for use in the U.K.........

Do the Russian helpers flying in have work permits? During the tsunami many farang were arrested for providing aid to injured. WHAT A COUNTRY! I pray Putin puts a TRAVEL ADVISORY to all his people that Thailand has ZERO concern for anyone but Thais. Safety is not spoken here.

Don't know about work permits - but he's got a frigging big navy, air force and army if anyone wants to play silly buggers with him!

I'm sure KY and her regime would not be that dumb,

One US carrier group has more numbers and punching power than the entire Russian navy according to the book I am currently reading. I remember the Phuket taxi drivers giving the US navy a hard time.

Does anybody here have any info on the tests etc that bus drivers need to take in Thailand...... would like to know.

Read 64. Public at one part of the day others at another, now you might think that 500bts in an envelope or book might secure the situation, I could not possibly comment.

that didn't really answer my Q....

Best wishes to the injured in this rare incident.

Indeed. Only 29,000 dead in road accidents per year

Please provide a link to the barstool, who gave you those numbers!!coffee1.gif

Published figures from March of this year (found using Google)

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.
These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

Please provide a link to the barstool, who gave you those numbers!!coffee1.gif

Is the topic too negative for you " soi41" ? If so then avoid it. Period

At least the Russians are willing to rescue the injured. Never heard of any other country willing to do the same.

Thailand is a very dangerous place for Russians.

Until gov giving money for that programm.

I didn't think that a Thai DL would be valid for use in the U.K.........

Unbelievably a Thai driving license allows you to drive in the UK for 12 months,then you must pass UK test.

Did the driver have any driving license ? If he had, how did he get it ? The Thai way probably. The Thai government don* t give a shit. I think the only one can do anything about road safety in Thailand is the King himself, because his servants do not do anything. They do not care at all.

No one was seriously injured in bus crash with Russian tourists onboard in Thailand - tour operator head

KANCHANABURI: -- No one was seriously injured after a bus with 42 Russian tourists overturned in the Kanchanaburi province in northwestern Thailand, Anna Podgornaya, General Director of the Pegas Touristic tour operator told reporters on Friday.

The accident involving a Pegas Touristic bus occurred at around noon local time (9:00 am Moscow Time).

"According to the preliminary information, there are no fatalities. No one was seriously hurt. Several people sustained minor injuries," she said without specifying how many people had been injured.

Russia’s Federal Travel Agency Rosturism is clarifying the circumstances of the accident, the RIA Novosti news agency quotes Rosturism spokesman Irina Shchegolkova as saying.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_10_11/No-one-was-seriously-injured-in-bus-crash-with-Russian-tourists-onboard-in-Thailand-tour-operator-head-7394/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-10-11

UPDATE
Russian tourist killed in Kanchanaburi bus accident

KANCHANABURI: -- A tour bus slid off a road in Kanchanaburi's Sai Yok district yesterday, killing a 35-year-old woman and injuring 30 others.

All passengers were Russian tourists.

The injured were treated at Sai Yok and Phaholpolpayuhasena hospitals.

Some were in critical condition.

Bus driver Kasian Karnket, 53, who is in police custody, said he had picked up the tourists from Pattaya at about 4am to take them to the Mahawangchang Elephant Camp in Kanchanaburi.

"The destination was just about 2 kilometres away when suddenly I lost control of the vehicle," Kasian said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-12

• Like 1

UPDATE

Russian tourist killed in Kanchanaburi bus accident

KANCHANABURI: -- A tour bus slid off a road in Kanchanaburi's Sai Yok district yesterday, killing a 35-year-old woman and injuring 30 others.

All passengers were Russian tourists.

The injured were treated at Sai Yok and Phaholpolpayuhasena hospitals.

Some were in critical condition.

Bus driver Kasian Karnket, 53, who is in police custody, said he had picked up the tourists from Pattaya at about 4am to take them to the Mahawangchang Elephant Camp in Kanchanaburi.

"The destination was just about 2 kilometres away when suddenly I lost control of the vehicle," Kasian said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-12

Come on guys.

Give the reporters a credit.

1 dead out of 31 passengers is not serious in Thailand.

Edited by Confuscious

Imagine if this were an accident involving British tourists. The British Embassy officials wouldn't put down their glass of Cognac and their cigar as they read it, and would carry on to the next article. Such is their reputation for helpfulness and concern. If anything, they would charge each injured person for helping them.

Really ???.... Or is the Embassy really in place for the interests of the British Economy and business ?... think carefully before answering.

But, if an accident were to happen and a number of British Tourists injured are the Thai hospitals not well enough equipped ? OR, IF the British Government put on a plane to Medivac the tourists, wouldn't those British Expats with such a high sense of entitlement expect the same when they fall of their honda wave ?

Really - The only responsibility any foreign government has is to warn its citizens to be careful of various risks including the safety of public transport in Thailand.

On the other hand, It is the responsibility Thai government to ensure the safety of its visitors - We complain that not enough is being done and agreeably so, but to turn this into a criticism of our own Embassy is just daft... I wonder who's GF was rejected a Visa !...

On Topic:

There are way way too many mini-van and bus accidents in Thailand....

I for one advise anyone I know visiting Thailand not to use Mini-Vans and public busses. Those who still choose to, I advise them that if the driver is erratic or appears dangerous in anyway that they should get off the bus at a convenient point and re-arrange transport (not always an option, but it could make the difference).

Well its true their visa service is a joke run through VFS. Its true their passport service is a joke since they couldn't be bothered to issue passports in Thailand anymore despite 50,000 expats living here. I hope you never have any problems here that are big enough for you to think you need their assistance because you will just be fed the standard crap excuse for why they can't help and will be left out on your own. They are the lousiest Embassy I ever had the misfortune to need assistance from and they are the opposite of compassionate.

Not to minimize the other fatalities, but this article was about Russian tourists on a specific bus. I'm sure other posters are familiar with the hazards of Thai roadways and there is no point redirecting the news story.

Imagine if this were an accident involving British tourists. The British Embassy officials wouldn't put down their glass of Cognac and their cigar as they read it, and would carry on to the next article. Such is their reputation for helpfulness and concern. If anything, they would charge each injured person for helping them.

Really ???.... Or is the Embassy really in place for the interests of the British Economy and business ?... think carefully before answering.

But, if an accident were to happen and a number of British Tourists injured are the Thai hospitals not well enough equipped ? OR, IF the British Government put on a plane to Medivac the tourists, wouldn't those British Expats with such a high sense of entitlement expect the same when they fall of their honda wave ?

Really - The only responsibility any foreign government has is to warn its citizens to be careful of various risks including the safety of public transport in Thailand.

On the other hand, It is the responsibility Thai government to ensure the safety of its visitors - We complain that not enough is being done and agreeably so, but to turn this into a criticism of our own Embassy is just daft... I wonder who's GF was rejected a Visa !...

On Topic:

There are way way too many mini-van and bus accidents in Thailand....

I for one advise anyone I know visiting Thailand not to use Mini-Vans and public busses. Those who still choose to, I advise them that if the driver is erratic or appears dangerous in anyway that they should get off the bus at a convenient point and re-arrange transport (not always an option, but it could make the difference).

Well its true their visa service is a joke run through VFS. Its true their passport service is a joke since they couldn't be bothered to issue passports in Thailand anymore despite 50,000 expats living here. I hope you never have any problems here that are big enough for you to think you need their assistance because you will just be fed the standard crap excuse for why they can't help and will be left out on your own. They are the lousiest Embassy I ever had the misfortune to need assistance from and they are the opposite of compassionate.

"Joke, crap"? These words used in this context leaves me wondering what you are trying to express.

No one was seriously injured in bus crash with Russian tourists onboard in Thailand - tour operator head

No one seriously injured except for the woman that died and the 5 people in a coma out of 6 that are in critical condition.

Source: Voice of Russia http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_10_11/Five-in-coma-after-bus-with-Russian-tourists-overturns-in-Thailand-Consulate-Department-4438/

Who is the liar in this story?

I certainly wouldn't believe anything said by a Thai bus owner. Why tourists continue to pay to travel in these death traps is a mystery to me

UPDATE:
28 Russians injured in bus accident in Thailand taken to Bangkok hospital

BANGKOK, October 12 (Itar-Tass) - Russia’s 28 citizens, who got injured in a bus accident in Thailand on Friday, have been delivered to a Bangkok hospital. Six of them, including a 10 year-old, remain at the intensive care unit, Russia’s consular service told Itar-Tass on Saturday.

“Two women are still in coma. On Friday, Thai doctors made three necessary surgeries. More surgeries are due today,” Head of the Consular Section Andrei Dvornikov said. Russian diplomats are at the hospital to provide necessary assistance. “On Friday, 28 people were taken to the hospital in Bangkok.”

The traffic accident happened in Thailand’s Kanchanaburi province at about 09:00 Moscow time. The overturned bus belongs to the Pegas-touristic Company. It took tourists from Pattaya to the Khwae Yai River. Among 42 tourists on the bus, there were four children.

Thailand’s police reported the accident’s reason was the vehicle’s disorder.

This was not the first accident with Russians in the region. On August 9, in the Kanchanaburi province a bus, which took Russian tourists to the Khwae Yai River, got in an accident. That time, 26 tourists were injured.

Source: http://www.itar-tass.com/c32/910241.html

-- ITAR-TASS 2013-10-12

My best wishes to the injured and their families.

Thailand's road transportation is so dangerous you'd think they'd clean up their act just to preserve tourism.

PS: I wonder what "...the accident’s reason was the vehicle’s disorder." means.

Edited by NeverSure