2 million Baht lottery "winner" arrested

webfact

I never realised that buying a Lottery ticket in Thailand was quite so precarious !

Altering a ticket and claiming the jackpot prize, seems beyond comprehension, but I suppose some people will try anything?!!

Prizes should be more akin to those in the U.K. and sold more openly, then there would be something worth winning !

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"She was promptly arrested when the Office realised that the ticket was fake."

They knew it was a fake because they never sell the winning tickets. They are given to already rich people to buy favors would be my guess. Has anyone ever seen a list of the so called winners.

EDIT sorry i should have written big winning tickets

The couple that won Bt.42m last year were rich afterwards for sure. Shame they were both killed earlier this year whilst riding a scooter, they were hit by an 18 yr old driving a Porsche.

They knew it was a fake because they never sell the winning tickets. They are given to already rich people to buy favors would be my guess. Has anyone ever seen a list of the so called winners.

Yes they do, I won a small prize on the lottery here some time ago and I know of others who have won larger amounts more recently.

Yes alright but uty6543 asked if anyone had seen a list correct???? So where do we look for your name and the others that won these "larger amounts" ??

Edited by mushroomdave

Believe it or not...but I personally know a friend of mine that won over $1,000,000 USD (but in Thai baht) a few years back. My father could not believe it either. After living there for several years he said he never heard of anyone winning the jack-pot. Maybe it is best not to tell...imagine if they did publicize who won?

in canada we have such an increase in shop owners winning lottery that they launched an investegation,and found they won alomst 2 times as much,they set up stings and the results were that winning tickets set off an alarm when run through the machine at the merchants shop,the merchant then said ''wow u just won 50 dollars'',the ticket holder then recieved the money and went on thier way,when in reality the tickets have been worth up to hundreds of thousands...temptation and greed have been around since adam and eve...we also have the ''scratch and win''they are great becuase it is instant gratifcation....i do hope those come to thailand....

This whole lottery thing is a scam here, tickets have 100 bht printed on them

but they sell for more, special numbers for a lot more,whats the top prize here?

2 M Bht , for the same price ticket in UK and I am sure other countries you can

win multi millions .

With the tickets going through so many hands,each getting a bht or 2,no wonder

they have to sell them for more,then if you are lucky you have to pay commission

to claim your prize money,the whole things corrupt from beginning to end,and why

do they need so many girls to pick the winning numbers, instead of having a machine

were there is virtually no chance of cheating.

Regards Worgeordie

This is all so true.

What gets me, is everytime they see a foreigner relaxing or dining the seller quickly make their way in hopes of selling a ticket,

yet it's printed on the back of each ticket that in order to claim the prize you must provide a copy of your Thai ID card,

not driver license as I found out first hand. Foreigners are not eligible to claim any prize money, they must go through a Thai,

who can provide a copy of their Thai ID card.

I've never understood why a commission has to be given to the seller to claim the prize either...?

It like if the buyer is lucky to win something, he/she must then share the proceeds with the seller.

Give me a break!

Can anyone verify this ???? if so there must be thousands of foreigners being defrauded each month

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

but they sell for more, special numbers for a lot more,whats the top prize here?

win multi millions .

they have to sell them for more,then if you are lucky you have to pay commission

to claim your prize money,the whole things corrupt from beginning to end,and why

do they need so many girls to pick the winning numbers, instead of having a machine

Regards Worgeordie

If your ticket has 100 baht printed on it then its definitely a scam because the real tickets cost 40 baht and that's what is printed on them. They're sold as a double ticket so face value is 80 baht.

No idea why they are sold as a double ticket and not just printed as a single with 80 baht on them.

There's at least two possibilities where she didn't knock up the fake ticket herself.

1. One of her relatives made a "copy" and swapped it out.

2. Someone in the lottery office faked a ticket, and then when the proper winning ticket came in, it's swapped for the fake.

I want to see if the person who eventually comes in with the winning ticket is linked to the winner or to someone in the lottery office...

Unless she bought the ticket after the draw was made, the ticket vendor isn't a real suspect.

Edited by bkk_mike

I remember a few years ago that a woman always sold tickets in the Soi Cowboy bar where we spent out Saturday afternoons. Our general manager always took pity in her and apart from buying a couple of tickets he always tipped her a couple of hundred baht.

After a couple of months he found out the tickets were fake.

Nonsense. My aunt has won the first prize twice.

• Like 1

If you see the new lottery office, you see the cars from the officials who work there, you see the houses those officials live in... the you know it's a scam.

The parallel lotery is much better, same price but with a higher pay out and more change to win a (small) price. About last 2 numbers good is 5000 bath cash.

Come on Guys,She is 62

Is that a reference to the childish comments about her appearance (which I guess says a lot about how enlightened westerners look at all women in Thailand and/or people generally) or her skill at forging?

The plastic surgery biz in Thailand certainly exists primarily, some would say in vain, to attempt to deal with the ravages of time, genes and gravity on westerners. I would bet that some of those commenting on her appearance would get a write-up in at least one journal dedicated to plastic surgery challenges.

No mystery why foreigners feel more comfortable in dimly lit bars.

mB4oggbXFqT_4j93D73ldTQ.jpg

win multi millions .

Regards Worgeordie

This is all so true.

What gets me, is everytime they see a foreigner relaxing or dining the seller quickly make their way in hopes of selling a ticket,

yet it's printed on the back of each ticket that in order to claim the prize you must provide a copy of your Thai ID card,

not driver license as I found out first hand. Foreigners are not eligible to claim any prize money, they must go through a Thai,

who can provide a copy of their Thai ID card.

I've never understood why a commission has to be given to the seller to claim the prize either...?

It like if the buyer is lucky to win something, he/she must then share the proceeds with the seller.

Give me a break!

Can anyone verify this ???? if so there must be thousands of foreigners being defrauded each month

You should know when it comes to expert opinions on life in Thailand, much of what is posted here is just barstool imaginations running wild.

Foreigners win and can collect the prize with no problem. In the US, at least in Illinois, the ticket sellers get some money (a "commission") if a ticket they sell wins. Not sure if it's only the big prizes or for any win, but they do share their customers good luck. Winning anything substantial in any lottery is statistically improbable, so a lot of people assume it's a scam ... and are unhappy. I suppose in a way it is, but just because you're paying money in the hopes that you get something for almost nothing.

post-145917-0-74106800-1381649391_thumb.

Edited by metisdead

Right. They knew it was a fake coz tickets with first prize are not for sale. It has been revealed already that it's all manipulated. Why they still bother with this scam..called lottery I don't know.

Correct. The scam even got a mention on television a few weeks ago.

jb1

A poor woman in a small village where my girlfriend comes from won 90 million Baht a few years ago. She built a nice house and gave the rest of the money to the local temple.

Come on guys, give her the money!! On condition she will use it for plastic-surgery.rolleyes.gif width=20 alt=rolleyes.gif>

Everyone is entitled to be ugly. But some have to Abuse the Privilege.

Hey, she is in her 60's. My bet is that she looks a lot better than you.

• Like 1

A poor woman in a small village where my girlfriend comes from won 90 million Baht a few years ago. She built a nice house and gave the rest of the money to the local temple.

I know the one you mean - used to sell yaba to the local schoolkids, right?

Or was she the friend of the cousin of the woman who worked at the market in the village that your gf came from?

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

win multi millions .

Regards Worgeordie

There is a reason why Thailand is called LOS (land of scam) cheesy.gif