Licensed English teacher just hit BKK looking for work

cavin

I just hit town in Bangkok and I'm going to start to look for work on Monday I will want to see if there's anybody out there that has any concrete advice on where to look maybe who to speak with. I would like to stay in Bangkok for maybe three months if I can get good work. I am an English teacher in the US and I am looking to teach here, hopefully on a corporate level but I am open to opportunities. If I am unable to find good paying work here in the city I plan on going down south maybe near Phuket but I'm also open to changing my plans. I would prefer a less touristy spot than Phuket but work comes first.

I have seven years teaching in the secondary level as an English teacher also other subjects but I have never taught English as a second language.

Any advice would be very well received and I would be most grateful thank you

Edited by cavin
  • Like 1

If you're a licensed English teacher in the US then you should probably be targeting the international schools in Thailand.

If you want to teach ESL then I recommend that you get an ESL qualification first. CELTA is the most accepted worldwide but Trinity TESOL is also very popular.

Hope that helps.

If you're a licensed English teacher in the US then you should probably be targeting the international schools in Thailand.

If you want to teach ESL then I recommend that you get an ESL qualification first. CELTA is the most accepted worldwide but Trinity TESOL is also very popular.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry, but a TEFL doesn't mean anything in Thailand. The OP is a teacher back in his home country and is therefore qualified to get his teacher's license from TCT in a short period of time.

You could check www.ajarn.com and it would be very useful to spend some time driving around to see some schools. Chances are pretty high to get a job now.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I second the advice about international schools, perhaps you can cold call people. Also ajarn.com is good, along with ajarnforum.net. You might want to prepare to stay a bit longer if working in a school. If youre good and have good business skills (and some knowledgeable and trustworthy local to help you) Ive heard of people building up a fulltime teaching schedule with private lessons, but this would take some street smarts to do. Good Luck.

Why not try and approach the private schools or GLC? I am an English Language Instructor teaxching in Kuala Lumpur at the Blind Centre. English for us here is as a second or third language for some. I add local flavour whenever, I explain about the differences in culture and help to understand the culture shock.

Also, you can try out the tuition centres or the English Speaking Centres for the public?

If you know some local language, it would be of help tremendously there is a difference in the approach and you can see the good reaction if you understand the locals better.

I go to Thailand once every year, to any destination that I may like...

Hope my suggestion is good enough for you.

Thanks for reading anyway, and have fun while you're around this region.

I just hit town in Bangkok and I'm going to start to look for work on Monday I will want to see if there's anybody out there that has any concrete advice on where to look maybe who to speak with. I would like to stay in Bangkok for maybe three months if I can get good work. I am an English teacher in the US and I am looking to teach here, hopefully on a corporate level but I am open to opportunities. If I am unable to find good paying work here in the city I plan on going down south maybe near Phuket but I'm also open to changing my plans. I would prefer a less touristy spot than Phuket but work comes first. I have seven years teaching in the secondary level as an English teacher also other subjects but I have never taught English as a second language.Any advice would be very well received and I would be most grateful thank you

The op says he would only like to stay in Bangkok three months, so I would suggest going to some language schools for part time work. Full time jobs will not be possible unless you decide to settle down in one city for at least one semester. The next semester starts November 1st and ends at the end of February or middle to the end of March, so that's 4-5 months.

Edited by smartconsulting

You are looking at about $10 per hour while you work,,, also consider Laos because they are looking for experienced teachers, unfortunately the pay is fairly low because so many people doing it the schools can pick an choose bur if you are lucky you will enjoy it.

I just hit town in Bangkok and I'm going to start to look for work on Monday I will want to see if there's anybody out there that has any concrete advice on where to look maybe who to speak with. I would like to stay in Bangkok for maybe three months if I can get good work. I am an English teacher in the US and I am looking to teach here, hopefully on a corporate level but I am open to opportunities. If I am unable to find good paying work here in the city I plan on going down south maybe near Phuket but I'm also open to changing my plans. I would prefer a less touristy spot than Phuket but work comes first. I have seven years teaching in the secondary level as an English teacher also other subjects but I have never taught English as a second language.Any advice would be very well received and I would be most grateful thank you

The op says he would only like to stay in Bangkok three months, so I would suggest going to some language schools for part time work. Full time jobs will not be possible unless you decide to settle down in one city for at least one semester. The next semester starts November 1st and ends at the end of February or middle to the end of March, so that's 4-5 months.

You're talking about government schools in LOS .Universities and some private institutions do have different times.

Don't you think the OP could fall in love with another place like Phuket, or somewhere near a beach? Or Chiang Mai?

Forget the language schools. In a big city like Bangkok not worth to travel many hours to tutor only one, for example. Then the pollution ,traffic....etc..

The Op should look at places like Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phang Nga and he might change his decision to work and live in such a crowded city.

Wish you good luck finding a suitable position.-wai2.gif

schools will want you to commit to at least a full semester, Nov 1 thru at or around Feb 28.

I arrived here Oct 1, '08 and visited 6 different schools in the Bkk area. I paid a tuk-tuk driver to give me a tour of the area. I told him I was from the US and wanted to find a job teaching English. he knew where to go. easy easy. have fun.

Post an ad on craigsiist Thailand. Offer private tutoring. You might be able to get a regular teaching job at a school and do some moonlighting.

Do not hit the beer bars everyday after work with other "falang" teachers. Cultivate relationships within the system and gain the respect of Thais who want to learn.

Learn the Thai language and you will go further, I guarantee it.

• Like 1

I want to thank most everyone for some great advice. The odd sarcastic cuts are a laugh as well. In my own defense I "compose" on a dictation app so punctuation is, at times, a miss. ( my thumbs are stArting to get tired ).

Even though Bangkok has been fantastic and I've had a great time touring about I am thinking about heading right down to Phuket.

I left my city life back in New York many years ago and I just really want to get to and the shore and the sea would be fantastic. I have a bad cold now and it plays with the diction app for all you grammar police.

If I can want to get asked for advice about coquette that would be great

Let's try this again if I can once again asked for advice aboutPhuket this time that would be great.

I am not looking for a career out of this as I would miss my family to much, rather I seek to teach for the experience of it, to give my adventure here some backbone, and mostly because it is what I do. Living now in a provincial Northwestern town I have hit many walls in finding a teaching spot.

Any tips would be well appreciated including schools, areas to live, ect.

I expect to forge ahead and make my own fortune. The advice on new semester in November is exciting. I would be more than happy to commit to that. Thanks forum fans and keep those cards and letters coming in.

Edited by cavin

Post an ad on craigsiist Thailand. Offer private tutoring. You might be able to get a regular teaching job at a school and do some moonlighting.

Do not hit the beer bars everyday after work with other "falang" teachers. Cultivate relationships within the system and gain the respect of Thais who want to learn.

Learn the Thai language and you will go further, I guarantee it.

Prive tutoring .. make sure you do not get in an agreement with your students or their parents. They surely will report you to the police.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a teaching license from the US you should have NO problem finding teaching work.

The only issue I can see is that you are not willing to commit yourself . Schools of any kind don't like changing teachers mid semester - or after a few months - just when the students are getting used to you. It's bad business.

If you have taught in American schools, and especially subjects besides English, you can land a job at an international school, which are pretty much the best teaching jobs available, as you are basically on a full expat package with a very good wage and all the fringe benifits. But again, you will have to commit to atleast a 12 month contract.

International school jobs pay higher than university jobs - which you may also be eligible to work at.

My advice is to put a good resume together, dress well and drop of your resume with a smile at all of the education establishments in the area you desire to live in.

If you say you just want to 'further your travel experience' and just work a few months, i can't see any place bothering to get you a work permit, just to see you quit a few months down the track. So you would basically have to lie to land a job - which of course is not a very nice thing to do, and reflects badly your (and the farang) reputation.

If money is not an issue, and you just want the experience then you can always volunteer to teach for free in orphanages etc. I believe you may even be able to do this legally as you can get some kind of special visa for volunteer work - perhaps somebody else can give you more info on that.

Hope this helps & good luck

...... you can land a job at an international school, which are pretty much the best teaching jobs available, as you are basically on a full expat package with a very good wage and all the fringe benifits. But again, you will have to commit to atleast a 12 month contract.

He's already in Bangkok so would be very fortunate indeed to get an ex-pat package with 'all the benefits.' More likely to receive what is referred to as a 'local contract.'

Most Internationals will give 2 year contracts in any event.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry, but a TEFL doesn't mean anything in Thailand. The OP is a teacher back in his home country and is therefore qualified to get his teacher's license from TCT in a short period of time.

You could check www.ajarn.com and it would be very useful to spend some time driving around to see some schools. Chances are pretty high to get a job now.

Good luck.

So any TEFL'ish qualification is a waste of time.

Make sure that you have a recognised TEFL qualification, then try teaching in Koh Samui, where there is a high level of need fore good teachers!

Oh... no it's not. It's handy to have.

.... Do not hit the beer bars everyday after work with other "falang" teachers. ....

I think the punctuation is incorrect, it should be, 'Do not hit the beer bars everyday after work with other falang "teachers"...'