China and Thailand discuss waiving visas

Lite Beer

With men out-numbering women 116 to 100, perhaps a lot of Chinese men will come to Thailand looking for wives. In the sex-for-hire dept., I've often heard that Chinese men will pay a high premium to be the first to de-flower a mid-teen gal.

thats foul why would you want us to know that your givin me a crook gut.

One problem with this strategy is that the margin on Chinese tourist revenue is wafer-thin. They do not spend much more than the cost of the tour package and recent changes in Chinese Govt regulations makes it very difficult for the Tavel company to force extras on the group. They are not high value tourists and it would be extremely unwise for anyone in the TAT to get too enthusiastic about the increase in numbers from china! particularly when that growth is seen in the context of a plateau/decline is some genuinely high-revenue markets. The Chinese will come through a Chinese wholesaler, stay in Chinese owned hotels, travel on Chinese airlines ( or trains in the longer term). Sure, Thailand should encourage more tourists from china but not at the expense of the high-value, generally 2nd, 3rd, 4th time visitors from the traditional source countries. As for the suggestion that Chinese would want to shop at Central....the lunacy of that simply defies belief. before contemplating a huge increase in inbound numbers, Thailand needs to fix the airport issue or risk losing part of the big-spending crowd

spitting sneezing with out covering mouth and nose , pushing in line, and stopping still in the middle of a crowded pathway to point at things

Ah... a bunch of British women shopping.

A pod of British women shopping ???

The Chinese sit on buses all day taking photos of decadent Thailand and its drunk foreign tourists then go home and report to the authorities. They dont spend much money here.

Farangs spend the real money here but Thai gov couldnt care less.

As far as they're concerned we must be controlled by stricter immigration regs and bankroll all of Thailand s poor families via Isan wives.

Dont like it? no problem go home farang.

Even the looney Russians get a much better deal than us.

Didn't the Russians already agree a bilateral no visa for Thais? The Thais reciprocate. Russia is big enough for thousands of Thais to go missing after arrival...

spitting sneezing with out covering mouth and nose , pushing in line, and stopping still in the middle of a crowded pathway to point at things

It would be really useful if the Chinese were given separate lines at immigration. Then the rest of us can get through a lot faster while they are forced to fill out their arrival or departure cards while at the immigration desks. In fact why not translate the arrival cards into Chinese to speed things up? Then at least the ones who don't lose the cards between the plane door and the immigration desk will be able to fill them in on time...

• Like 1

Well at least we know the Thais aren't as stupid as we say. They know to get more tourist you can make it easier for them to come here.

So the remainder of us are getting harassed by choice.

Let's face it, Thais love the Chinese and they, at best, tolerate us. When they can't get the money they want from us or don't need it any more, things could get rocky.

What makes you think they (the Thai gov't) need you now?

Easy answer: as mentioned prior, Thais only tolerate farang here, as long as farang are dishing out money. The more touristy the place, the more jaded the attitude of Thais toward farang. If you don't believe me, try hanging in Pattaya or Phuket or C.Mai for a bit, and then go to outlying towns. You'll see a lot friendlier, more sincere response from locals, the further you get from tourist centers. That's why I choose to reside in a Thai village. Every day for the past week, local hill tribers and their kids have come on my rural property to frolic, picnic, fish, gather firewood, jest, snooze. It's like an extended family.

Chinese tourists will not only flock together, they will take the giant buses and go to the recommended sights: temples, etc. all located on nice roads. You won't see individual or pairs of Chinese doing adventure sports or trekking (too dangerous and dirty). but that's ok - it's their choice.

My experience has been the opposite. The less foreigners in an area the less friendly the Thais are. I live in an area that has few foreigners and the Thais are incredibly rude specifically toward foreigners. Relatively, I can visit Bangkok and the Thais are much more friendly. Possibly, the more the foreigners, the more available money to be extracted.

Maybe it's just the areas I have experienced.

In am often in Nakhon Si Thammerat which doesn't has many foreigner and everyone is just normal.

One problem with this strategy is that the margin on Chinese tourist revenue is wafer-thin. They do not spend much more than the cost of the tour package and recent changes in Chinese Govt regulations makes it very difficult for the Tavel company to force extras on the group. They are not high value tourists and it would be extremely unwise for anyone in the TAT to get too enthusiastic about the increase in numbers from china! particularly when that growth is seen in the context of a plateau/decline is some genuinely high-revenue markets. The Chinese will come through a Chinese wholesaler, stay in Chinese owned hotels, travel on Chinese airlines ( or trains in the longer term). Sure, Thailand should encourage more tourists from china but not at the expense of the high-value, generally 2nd, 3rd, 4th time visitors from the traditional source countries. As for the suggestion that Chinese would want to shop at Central....the lunacy of that simply defies belief. before contemplating a huge increase in inbound numbers, Thailand needs to fix the airport issue or risk losing part of the big-spending crowd

I have seen a lot new rich Chinese who order Thai food like it is their last day.....Specially sea food.....making huge invoices as they just need to try everything.....A lot Chinese getting earning good money now and the women like shopping.

What you mean is when the Chinese company pays their staff a holiday in Thailand. They don't spend much.

Just what Thailand needs more chinese tour groups

roaming the control in large herds being loud rude and

oblivious to everyone else all the while still being able

to pick their noses

Have a walk in Pattaya...you see worse and they aren't Chinese.

Interesting hmm I wonder how many Chinese people will visit Thailand in a near future and if within 10 years they will stand for 90% of all annual tourists coming to Thailand. Lets face it they are getting wealthier and Thailand is not that far for them. while Europe and US have their ups and downs.

THAIVISA need to upgrade into Mandarin/Cantonese. these guys will have to learn these forums valuable info and about the tourist scams, all the way back from the beginning thumbsup.gif

Nothing to do with China selling high speed trains and Thailand in return offloading some of its rice mountain? Sounds like waiving visas is part of the deal and a sweetener? or am i being cynical about what it takes to oil thewheels of commerce?

• Like 1

Interesting hmm I wonder how many Chinese people will visit Thailand in a near future and if within 10 years they will stand for 90% of all annual tourists coming to Thailand. Lets face it they are getting wealthier and Thailand is not that far for them. while Europe and US have their ups and downs.

THAIVISA need to upgrade into Mandarin/Cantonese. these guys will have to learn these forums valuable info and about the tourist scams, all the way back from the beginning thumbsup.gif

Ohh forgot if THAIVISA going to start on the web in Mandarin/Cantonese. THIAIVISA has the change its name, chinese they wont need a visa like the rest of us right biggrin.png

A visa free period or 60 days on arrival would seem ok gir all tourists. To say waive visas may create a big problem ref the Chinese. They generally are still a very poor country in that the people living in the countryside are individually still very poor. May create an migrant problem with them looking for work.. The main point should be how to attract new tourists! Having real Police on the beat would help. ..

Well at least we know the Thais aren't as stupid as we say. They know to get more tourist you can make it easier for them to come here.

So the remainder of us are getting harassed by choice.

Let's face it, Thais love the Chinese and they, at best, tolerate us. When they can't get the money they want from us or don't need it any more, things could get rocky.

What makes you think they (the Thai gov't) need you now?

Easy answer: as mentioned prior, Thais only tolerate farang here, as long as farang are dishing out money. The more touristy the place, the more jaded the attitude of Thais toward farang. If you don't believe me, try hanging in Pattaya or Phuket or C.Mai for a bit, and then go to outlying towns. You'll see a lot friendlier, more sincere response from locals, the further you get from tourist centers. That's why I choose to reside in a Thai village. Every day for the past week, local hill tribers and their kids have come on my rural property to frolic, picnic, fish, gather firewood, jest, snooze. It's like an extended family.

Chinese tourists will not only flock together, they will take the giant buses and go to the recommended sights: temples, etc. all located on nice roads. You won't see individual or pairs of Chinese doing adventure sports or trekking (too dangerous and dirty). but that's ok - it's their choice.

Not entirely true! 3 days ago I saw a caravan of Chinese cars going towards Chiang Dao. I counted 67 cars in just that one caravan. They are using GPS and are staying away from tour agencies....and yes the Chinese use the tour buses and mini vans as well.