Victims of Thai floods get counselling

webfact

Victims of floods get counselling
The Nation

30217004-01_big.jpg?1381707096630

HRH PRINCESS SRIRASMI VISITS VICTIMS IN SA KAEW, PARTS OF NAKHON RATCHASIMA HIT

BANGKOK: -- A BIG FLOOD in Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday claimed the life of a 64-year-old farmer who was worried about his paddy fields.

Somnuek Cherdkornburi's body was found in strong currents in Khon Buri district. His death raised the flood toll to 43.

Police said the farmer left his house to check his ripening crop in submerged fields because he feared they would die. He may have slipped from an earthen dyke, fallen into the water and drowned.

Meanwhile, an overflow from the Lam Prapleung Reservoir has reached Chok Chai district, and left several hundred houses and paddy and cassava fields under water. An estimated 30,000 rai of cassava fields were damaged.

The base of the 900-year-old Pakoh Stupa in the same district was under about one metre of water. The flood washed over Highway 224 Ratchasima-Chokchai at the 29km-30km markers. Authorities put up a sign warning motorists to drive carefully because of the flood.

In Sa Kaew, Her Royal Highness Princess Srirasmi visited flood victims in Aranyaprathet. She was accompanied by Deputy Health Minister Sorawong Thienthong, who said 26 provinces were inundated.

The ministry had dispatched mobile medical teams to several areas to give treatment and these had reached about 300,000 households over the past 26 days. About 90,000 people were treated, mostly for athlete's foot, followed by colds and aches and pains.

The medical teams also gave psychological counselling to people affected by the deluge. About 946 people suffered from stress and pressure because of the flood and 475 needed close care. The teams were also told to give special psychological support for people affected by bad flooding, he said.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported that 116 districts in 25 provinces remained under water with nearly a million people affected by the floods.

The situation has improved in 17 provinces, including in Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Lampang and Chumphon.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-14

Well done your RH Princess Srirasmi.

Let us hope the counselling is accompanied by sincere compensation by the government.

The loss and damage to their homes and property are the reasons for their stress.

unfortunatly.once the water dissapears..so will the help i fear..cynical..most definatly..unfortunatly...my neighbours roof is only just visible as of today...in ubon..everything destroyed .....not an ounce of help or comfort from the council..the husband just sits there squating down staring at his house..not a pretty sight..poor buggar.....sad.png

my counsel is to cancel the counsel from the council

counsellor " How do you feel"

victim "cold wet and unloved"

counsellor "what the hell is wrong with you, it happens every year-next victim please"...

deepest condolences to the unfortunate people caught up in this natural disaster

Edited by Dr Robert
  • Like 2

My deepest sympathies for the victims and my deepest dislikes to the puppet Minister.

Won't forget her words, one day before our house got hit by an enormous flood. " Floods Under Control."

Traveling abroad while so many people are suffering is more than questionable. Just shows her non existent character.-wai2.gif

The puppet PM could use some serious counseling too regarding trips abroad, personal well being over the public, and addiction to shopping sprees as a priority over a country's turmoil due to floods and graft.

well she has enough money (stolen) to go shopping. And for governing Thailand it doesn't make a difference as anyway her brother is doing most of it.

• Like 1

Let us hope the counselling is accompanied by sincere compensation by the government.

The loss and damage to their homes and property are the reasons for their stress.

unfortunatly.once the water dissapears..so will the help i fear..cynical..most definatly..unfortunatly...my neighbours roof is only just visible as of today...in ubon..everything destroyed .....not an ounce of help or comfort from the council..the husband just sits there squating down staring at his house..not a pretty sight..poor buggar.....sad.png

And psychological counselling won't fix the house.

It might be a better plan to counsel Yingluck and Plod who were and still are in denial concerning the seriousness of the current flooding situation.

Still these two born again new age romantics ( pathological liars) continue to waffle on showing both their contempt for the people of Thailand along with continuing to show their ignorance of the facts so freely available from the newspapers, the television as well as the media from the assorted socially aware public domain sites.

No doubt a good psychiatrist would indeed recommend that they should both be committed to an asylum for the criminally insane as their (Yingluck and Plod ) total indifference and inaction to this current flooding situation is indeed a criminal act.

Edited by siampolee

The puppet PM could use some serious counseling too regarding trips abroad, personal well being over the public, and addiction to shopping sprees as a priority over a country's turmoil due to floods and graft.

Let us not use someone's suffering to deliver a policital jab. Poor taste IMO.

• Like 1

It might be a better plan to counsel Yingluck and Plod who were and still are in denial concerning the seriousness of the current flooding situation.

Still these two born again new age romantics ( pathological liars) continue to waffle on showing both their contempt for the people of Thailand along with continuing to show their ignorance of the facts so freely available from the newspapers, the television as well as the media from the assorted socially aware public domain sites.

No doubt a good psychiatrist would indeed recommend that they should both be committed to an asylum for the criminally insane as their (Yingluck and Plod ) total indifference and inaction to this current flooding situation is indeed a criminal act.

Seems that the poster failed to read the article. It was about a government effort to deal with specific people affected by the flood. Politics aside, compassion and constructive comments about the victims well being are much more relevant IMO. But then, why miss an opportunity to diagnose insanity and judge someone criminally culpable?

Its true; the result of destitute people from flooding are a result of the admin and lack of assistance and proper planning IN ADVANCE with 350 billion, instead of posing as a great assistant to the ignorant who think "how compassionate, they are helping me through this aftermath" when it could have been prevented. If I want to point out the obvious CAUSE and lack of preventative measure, I will thank you- no need to twist my words into "don't bring politics into someone's suffering" nonsense when they are connected. You can express you opinion, well so can we in a forum- no need to attempt to tell others what to say and think when you're not a moderator.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

counsellor "what the hell is wrong with you, it happens every year-next victim please"...

deepest condolences to the unfortunate people caught up in this natural disaster

victim " im hungry"

counsellor " heres some 3 week old half cooked chicken and rotting cabbage" next please

• Like 1

Benmart post # 12

Seems that the poster failed to read the article. It was about a government effort to deal with specific people affected by the flood. Politics aside, compassion and constructive comments about the victims well being are much more relevant IMO. But then, why miss an opportunity to diagnose insanity and judge someone criminally culpable?

It would seem as if you are actually using the ''Nuremberg Plea'' to protect your shabby idols from the truth.

Actions indeed speak louder than words, I suppose you think a 5,000 baht handout and smile solves all a floods victims problems?

The inaction of this current government politicians is indeed a criminally negligent act

• Like 1

Let us not use someone's suffering to deliver a political jab. Poor taste IMO.

Sadly the truth hurts and its taste is indeed unpalatable to some no doubt.

I think the original article has been diluted by the political aspect. The failure of the government to mitigate flooding is well known and reprehensible. The article was aimed at the suffering of the victims and the governments attempt to help. Related yes, but different in their humanitarian perspective.

Benmart post # 12

It would seem as if you are actually using the ''Nuremberg Plea'' to protect your shabby idols from the truth.

Actions indeed speak louder than words, I suppose you think a 5,000 baht handout and smile solves all a floods victims problems?

The inaction of this current government politicians is indeed a criminally negligent act

You post is interesting although I cannot find where i refered to irresponsible government officials as idols. Your reference to the Nuremberg Plea is puzzlling as well as inaccurate in this context.

Criminal conduct is best left to the judiciary to decide. As for the 5,000 Baht handout and smile, it solves nothing in the long term.

I would like to thank you for supposing what I think, even though it was the opposite.

Edited by Benmart

victim " im hungry"

counsellor " heres some 3 week old half cooked chicken and rotting cabbage" next please

Where you privy to the consult? Or just speculation perhaps?

I think the original article has been diluted by the political aspect. The failure of the government to mitigate flooding is well known and reprehensible. The article was aimed at the suffering of the victims and the governments attempt to help. Related yes, but different in their humanitarian perspective.

Well currently the government is using anti-flood barriers to block demonstrators .....there are priorities......an poor farmer aren't the priority of this government as it seems.

Its true; the result of destitute people from flooding are a result of the admin and lack of assistance and proper planning IN ADVANCE with 350 billion, instead of posing as a great assistant to the ignorant who think "how compassionate, they are helping me through this aftermath" when it could have been prevented. If I want to point out the obvious CAUSE and lack of preventative measure, I will thank you- no need to twist my words into "don't bring politics into someone's suffering" nonsense when they are connected. You can express you opinion, well so can we in a forum- no need to attempt to tell others what to say and think when you're not a moderator.

I didn't claim to be a moderator and sorry if you took it that way. I certainly can't tell others what to say or think. Wouldn't know how to do that.

I am somewhat puzzled about the "...well so can we in a forum..." Just wondering who the "we" are that you are advocating for or did you mean "I"?

Yes, the government is grossly negligent and were/are culpable in the continuing saga of rains = flooding.

Sadly the politics seems dominate and the victims seem to get lost in the rhetoric was what I was trying to convey.

I don't know if the people beig helped are ignorant as you mentioned, nor do I know what they think about the meager help being offered. I would certainly like to know what they think about it since all I know is what I see on TV and other media.

By the way, to my understanding, CAPS are the equivalent to yelling.

Edited by Benmart

Agree with you. The gesture is admirable and must be followed by substantial financial and infrastructure assistance. Unfortunately, there is a poor track record for the government in this area.

The counselling will be: The Prime Minister said there would be no flood. Who are you to disagree with her? Get a grip of yourself or people will start thinking that you are trying to undermine the image of Thailand..

• Like 1

Seems as if Yingluck is again about to tour the afflicted areas to ''boost morale.'' Indeed a bit of grovelling and forelock touching by the flood affected locals will no doubt improve her self appointed image along with the rest of the klingonn poo yais.

Well currently the government is using anti-flood barriers to block demonstrators .....there are priorities......an poor farmer aren't the priority of this government as it seems.

Unfortunate if true, but barriers will not stop the people's demand for justice and equality.

The medical teams also gave psychological counselling to people affected by the deluge.

I hope they gave them food and shelter as well. Most people feel stress when their home is under water and they don't have food or money. I hope they said more than there ...there...

Why so stressed?

My condolences on another senseless death. Counselling is sadly probably all they will get, many people still haven't received their promised 5,000 baht since the big one 2 years ago ! The Thai government really should start a government initiative to make sure that every child learns to swim, that way maybe a few less lives....