Bangkok's Institute of Forensic Medicine invites public to watch autopsies

webfact

Bored in Bangkok? Why not go watch a corpse get cut open?
By Coconuts Bangkok

1378216_73582621.jpg?itok=y8HFhOPA

BANGKOK: -- In a truly odd effort to celebrate its 60th anniversary, Thailand's Institute of Forensic Medicine has invited the public to watch its autopsies.

Why?

As most of us are well aware forensic scientists typically work on dead bodies in a silent room, far far away from the rest us.While we may hear about the results of forensic examinations in news reports, most of us have little knowledge of the lengthy and brutal processes that takes place in that room.

Supichai Limsiwawongse, a forensic expert at the institute, said his team wanted to change this and allow people in to watch their work.

"We want to tell people what we are doing," he said. [read more...]

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/14/institute-forensic-medicine-invites-public-watch-autopsies

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-14

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think observing an autopsy is something rather disturbing. However, it is very useful for physiotherapists, massagetherapists, to get a better insight into human anatomy and to then propose customised treatments for their patients. These sessions are very difficult to permission to attend. When they are conducted, they are specifically tailored to issues that therapists need to know, rather then discovering the cause of death of a person.

In summary, I think making autopsy open to the public is not appropriate as it may have some long-termn negative impact on the visitor. It's already tough for therapists or medical students to see this for the first time.

• Like 1

I think observing an autopsy is something rather disturbing. However, it is very useful for physiotherapists, massagetherapists, to get a better insight into human anatomy and to then propose customised treatments for their patients. These sessions are very difficult to permission to attend. When they are conducted, they are specifically tailored to issues that therapists need to know, rather then discovering the cause of death of a person.

In summary, I think making autopsy open to the public is not appropriate as it may have some long-termn negative impact on the visitor. It's already tough for therapists or medical students to see this for the first time.

"In summary, I think making autopsy open to the public is not appropriate as it may have some long-termn negative impact on the visitor."

Most likely those queuing up for front row seats are already dealing with long-term negative impact of one sort or another.

"However, it is very useful for physiotherapists, massage therapists, to get a better insight into human anatomy"

There are probably better ways to learn about human muscles & human anatomy in general than attending autopsies which tend to focus on cause of death.

• Like 2

Who in their right mind would wanna watch that? Hi sweetheart, I'm bored today....let's go & watch an autopsy. Ohhh....don't forget to bring the popcorn & coke too.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You will be able to enjoy the flavor twice tongue.png

• Like 1

I hope they get the families permission to do such

first thing that occured to me, but why invite people... go the whole hog HD video and post it on U tube ?

I suppose TV finest medical examiners, and pathologists will be lining up to attend, just think of the insight they could provide when threads come up on unexplained deaths and the conspracies theories start, they will have real first hand experience...who needs wikipedia then ?...whistling.gif

• Like 1

As an aside I had to attend an autopsy as part of my training many a year ago, most of us were not over enthusiastic about it but as there may have been chance of being appointed as a coroners officer it was part of the training.

The cadaver /corpse was the remains of someone who had been fished out of the Thames I think after some days in the water, the sight and the stench was dreadful, Indeed it was intended as our baptism of a drowning death and its aftermath and the process of a post mortem.

Our group was I think about 8 strong, of that 8 strong group 4 parted contact with the contents of their stomach and one fainted. However the highlight of the session was when the surgeon actually licked the finger of his left hand I couldn't stop laughing unlike the rest of the group who were in a dreadful state of health.

The surgeon then said " well P.c. +++++++ was plainly paying rapt attention to the proceedings as he saw that I licked a finger of my left hand which had not been near the cadaver unlike the rest of you who were not paying attention to the procedure.'' This was after he had me explain to all why I was laughing. I never had to re attend the process due to my observation but my unfortunate colleagues had 2 more P.M.s to attend before being released from that section of our training.

• Like 2

Interesting. Is this the same place that has a museum with body parts of criminals and such ?

Not sure about that, however The Black Museum in Scotland yard the U.K was and I presume still is indeed an interesting place which I visited a number of times in the course of duty but it was and again I presume still is restricted to certain groups and not open to the general public.

• Like 1

Oh that's nice, Ill take the kids this weekend, they'l love it, In fact I think Thailand should advertise this as a tourist attraction and should be promoted worldwide by the TAT they should call it "Horific Thailand" Thailand the HUB of blood and guts.

Great.

Pedant attack... can one be brutal to an inanimate object.... its a corpse.. a lump of decaying meat... the parrot is dead...

Surely many people here have purchased meat and had a butcher cut it up/ debone it or whatever for them... well autopsies ( I believe ) are only different in the odour and our imagination.... so they are appealing to our sense of the macabre? .. of course their doubted skill at determining the cause of death is probably of greater interest and which I doubt would be visible ( apart from the obvious)...so the attraction being.?

Uk.. Victorian days... people paid to see the mentally ill.... so probably a good few ideas for the Thai authorities' to explore...,

• Like 1

As an aside I had to attend an autopsy as part of my training many a year ago, most of us were not over enthusiastic about it but as there may have been chance of being appointed as a coroners officer it was part of the training.

The cadaver /corpse was the remains of someone who had been fished out of the Thames I think after some days in the water, the sight and the stench was dreadful, Indeed it was intended as our baptism of a drowning death and its aftermath and the process of a post mortem.

Our group was I think about 8 strong, of that 8 strong group 4 parted contact with the contents of their stomach and one fainted. However the highlight of the session was when the surgeon actually licked the finger of his left hand I couldn't stop laughing unlike the rest of the group who were in a dreadful state of health.

The surgeon then said " well P.c. +++++++ was plainly paying rapt attention to the proceedings as he saw that I licked a finger of my left hand which had not been near the cadaver unlike the rest of you who were not paying attention to the procedure.'' This was after he had me explain to all why I was laughing. I never had to re attend the process due to my observation but my unfortunate colleagues had 2 more P.M.s to attend before being released from that section of our training.

So you've just watched an autopsy of a corpse that's been in the Thames for a few days, haven't thrown up having paid rapt attention to the proceedings and still manage to laugh uproriously at a pretty feeble sick joke.

Don't you think that says something about you? I wouldn't want to have come across you when you were a plod.

Uk.. Victorian days... people paid to see the mentally ill.... so probably a good few ideas for the Thai authorities' to explore...,

Public gallery at the Thai Parliament perhaps ?...plently of mentally ill people in there who would be good for a lauf...

So you've just watched an autopsy of a corpse that's been in the Thames for a few days, haven't thrown up having paid rapt attention to the proceedings and still manage to laugh uproriously at a pretty feeble sick joke.

Don't you think that says something about you? I wouldn't want to have come across you when you were a plod.

blink.png

One suspects if he did come across you when he was a plod he would be arresting you for being drunk and disorderly or pehaps needing protective care giggle.gif

Edited by Soutpeel