Thai Air Flight Attendants Found To Have Been Sexually Harrassed

Jai Dee

Many ThaiAir economy-class flight attendants found to have been sexually harassed

A master's degree research has revealed some plane-shaking facts that many economy class flight attendants of Thai Airways International have been found sexually harassed.

The research conducted by, Mrs Chudapani (ชุดาปณี) Shibayama, a master's degree student from Thammasat University's Graduate Volunteer Centre's feminology project, under the underlined topic «Experiences of Sexual Harassment at Work: A Case Study of Thai Airways International flight attendants», has revealed that the majority of the most severe cases are found with flight attendants working in the economy class section, while the cases for those working in first or business classes are milder.

The study further disclosed that almost every profession of passengers have been reported to sexually harass the flight attendants in operation.

The study cited some information gathered from Thai Airways' information centre dated February 2003 to October 2004. There are reports of such nuisances including sexual and verbal harassments. Dozens of flight attendants reported the harms to Don Muang police station, pilots and airport security officials. Yet the advancement of the cases have not been seen.

In another development, head of the Friends of Women Foundation's Women's Rights Protection Centre, Miss Suphensri Pheungkhoaksoong (สุเพ็ญศรี พึ่งโคกสูง), had a few comments on the matter.

She said an action against harassers could be done if the airline or company stopped considering such sexual harassment reports are somewhat whimsical.

One other thing, according to Miss Suphensri, that could be done is an installation of emergency light to indicate the certain seat where such harassment is going on. When the light is on, pilots or other flight attendants seeing the message would approach the spot and help the harassed one out right away. She also suggested a method of blacklisting passengers with such behaviours, and have them trained of good manners before boarding the aircraft.

Miss Suphensri also called on the airline to improve their flight attendants' working costume as she viewed that the actual costume might overly accentuate the womanly curves and cleavages.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 April 2006

Miss Suphensri also called on the airline to improve their flight attendants' working costume as she viewed that the actual costume might overly accentuate the womanly curves and cleavages.

They are talking about Thai Airways right? :o

Edited by tywais

One other thing, according to Miss Suphensri, that could be done is an installation of emergency light to indicate the certain seat where such harassment is going on. When the light is on, pilots or other flight attendants seeing the message would approach the spot and help the harassed one out right away. She also suggested a method of blacklisting passengers with such behaviours, and have them trained of good manners before boarding the aircraft.

Fascinating. Bloody fascinating. What colour is the sky in her world?

Many ThaiAir economy-class flight attendants found to have been sexually harassed

A master's degree research has revealed some plane-shaking facts that many economy class flight attendants of Thai Airways International have been found sexually harassed.

I think that says it all :o Exactly what planet are they flying on anyway?

Yeah, hardee har har har.

Women love being groped. Let me tell you, as a woman, it just makes my day when some idiot grabs me. Wow, what a thrill :o

Not a mention of even one gratuitious grope from that report skb, and in over 30 years of flying with Thai and well over a million air miles I have never once seen anybody act improperly towards inflight staff. Maybe I just get all the wrong planes. :D

Yeah, hardee har har har.

Women love being groped. Let me tell you, as a woman, it just makes my day when some idiot grabs me. Wow, what a thrill :o

Actually, the biggest complaint I got was from a bird called Pratricia. She had the word PAT written across her left breast...I mean,what else was I ment to do?? :D

Every seat or row got a light installed already. Usually, I would use this to order another drink,

but attention to this light often is wishful thinking. :o

Yea! Same problem, the light does not mean much to them. One time they had the nerve to ask me whether I "accidently" hit the service button on a TG flight. :D

Not a mention of even one gratuitious grope from that report skb, and in over 30 years of flying with Thai and well over a million air miles I have never once seen anybody act improperly towards inflight staff. Maybe I just get all the wrong planes. :o

Same Here, I've been traveling 8 - 10 times a year long haul trip and not that I patrol a plane during 11 hours flight but I would've known had any harrasment been going on on a flight.

THIS IS ALL THAI AIRWAYS FAULT!

There would not be a problem, if they followed the lead of some American airlines and only hired un-attractive hostesses or blatently gay stewards!

or , this being Thailand, hired ka-toeys , the third alternative ! :o

There would not be a problem, if they followed the lead of some American airlines and only hired un-attractive hostesses or blatently gay stewards!

or , this being Thailand, hired ka-toeys , the third alternative ! :o

Probably wouldn't help, I'm sure there are some who would harass them too. :D

Just as an FYI, guys. It is very easy for a man to grope without everyone on the plane knowing about it. Esp if the flight attendant does not react to the event.

When making jokes about this stuff, just remember one thing. If you have a daughter, some day she will have to put up with this cr@p and then, it won't be quite so funny.

I thought that was QANTAS?? :D:o

Just as an FYI, guys. It is very easy for a man to grope without everyone on the plane knowing about it. Esp if the flight attendant does not react to the event.

When making jokes about this stuff, just remember one thing. If you have a daughter, some day she will have to put up with this cr@p and then, it won't be quite so funny.

IMO sometimes its peoples own fault who are bullied/groped, if they started standing up for themselves it would be less of a problem for everyone :o

IMO sometimes its peoples own fault who are bullied/groped, if they started standing up for themselves it would be less of a problem for everyone :o

So when is a grope not a grope?

When its in economy, Class it seems travels. :D

Hey, sbk, can you explain the technique of how to grope the flight crew on a plane without everyone knowing. As some other respondents have said already, after many, many flights I have yet to spot any sexual harrassment, let alone any physical groping. (mind you, I have spotted some groping between the passengers under blankets with the cabin lights tuned down). I want to be sure I can spot and stop this terrible behaviour and do my bit for a better airborne workplace !!

Yeah, the Qantas tarts are pretty dire but AA takes the biscuit. :D

If these gorgeous girls can't hack a bit of light-hearted banter then perhaps they should pick a less in-yer-face career.

Just for the record, Thai Airways ladies ain't bad, but Air Asia, Air New Zealand, SAS, and some BA girls are the spunkiest of the skies IMO. :D Who's your favourite? Shall we do a poll? :D

No, must have been Lufthansa or LTU ! :D