Thai Air Flight Attendants Found To Have Been Sexually Harrassed

Jai Dee

Many ThaiAir economy-class flight attendants found to have been sexually harassed

A master's degree research has revealed some plane-shaking facts that many economy class flight attendants of Thai Airways International have been found sexually harassed.

The research conducted by, Mrs Chudapani (ชุดาปณี) Shibayama, a master's degree student from Thammasat University's Graduate Volunteer Centre's feminology project, under the underlined topic «Experiences of Sexual Harassment at Work: A Case Study of Thai Airways International flight attendants», has revealed that the majority of the most severe cases are found with flight attendants working in the economy class section, while the cases for those working in first or business classes are milder.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 April 2006

I would ask whether this difference between first and business class and the behavior in economy "cattle" class has anything to do with perceptions of the flight attendents rather than the actions of the passengers. I have found that women are willing to perceive some behavior (such as casual flirtation) by men they find attractive, and in Thailand this would include wealth, as acceptable while the same behavior by less attractive men as being harassment.

But like others, in my many travels on many airlines into and out of Thailand, I have never seen any unacceptable or "severe" behavior such as outright groping.

Many ThaiAir economy-class flight attendants found to have been sexually harassed

A master's degree research has revealed some plane-shaking facts that many economy class flight attendants of Thai Airways International have been found sexually harassed.

The research conducted by, Mrs Chudapani (ชุดาปณี) Shibayama, a master's degree student from Thammasat University's Graduate Volunteer Centre's feminology project, under the underlined topic «Experiences of Sexual Harassment at Work: A Case Study of Thai Airways International flight attendants», has revealed that the majority of the most severe cases are found with flight attendants working in the economy class section, while the cases for those working in first or business classes are milder.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 April 2006

I would ask whether this difference between first and business class and the behavior in economy "cattle" class has anything to do with perceptions of the flight attendents rather than the actions of the passengers.

Perhaps, but I'd say it's largely down to the lower class of person in economy, as bad as that sounds...btw, I'm in this bracket :D

A similar, although totally off-topic, comparison could also be drawn to the behaviour of your average football (soccer) fan versus your average rugby fan :o

One fact should not be overseen. In economy are those working who just learned the job. Natuarally, they are younger than those in C- and F-class, doing the job for years and years, already.

One quick question I have always wondered about.

Do you guys think the Singapore hosties wear padded bras? They all seem to have identical size bosoms according to the appearance of the uniform. I have studied the uniform in depth and cant figure out why they all appear to have the same size boobies. But those lovely round bottoms do tend to make up for the lack of cleavage.

Actually, the biggest complaint I got was from a bird called Patricia. She had the word PAT written across her left breast...I mean,what else was I ment to do?? :D

A similar scenario took place on a flight I was on.

The flight attendant was called 'rip my blouse open and carress my heaving breasts while nibbling away at my ear'.

I still don't know why I got thrown off that flight.

:o

I stumbled out of bed and grabbed a hundred pounds of luggage and fumbled my way sleepily onto the Delta Airlines flight leaving from the deep South of the United States. I popped a sleeping pill and settled in for 18 hours in the air. About twice an hour the obese over made up with twenty rings and hanging jewelry all over the place bleach blond 50ish Delta stewardesses would bump into some part of my sleeping body and expose me to a whiff of some nauseas over applied perfume.

I just went back to sleep knowing the kingdom was only hours away.

Groggily I made my way getting bumped a few more times by the should have been retired, uncoordinated ex nurses aids from welfare hospitals that Delta hires as stewardess taking their last shot at making my trip a nightmare, into the airport at Tokyo.

I downed six quick beers and ten quick cigarettes and boarded the Air Thai plane bound for BKK.

Within a minute of take off one of the loveliest creatures I have ever seen asked me if I wanted a hot towel and some green tea with lemon. I answered her in Thai and her face lit up and she began twenty questions. Where do you live in Thailand. Are you on holiday or do you stay Thailand long time. Are you married, do you have children. I don’t think it detracted from the service of the other passengers because there were twice the number of stews on the Air Thai Flight as the Delta flight. It reminded me of flying in the US 30 years ago when the stewardesses were young, attractive and attentive and yes on the red eye flights sometimes a lot of fun.

Then the feminnazis started in and air travel became just another exercise in the elimination of the male traits from the male gender.

Don’t hold your breath guys the same thing will happen here.

About all you can do is write letters to your sons and tell them there was a time when men were men and nobody took Prozac. They won’t believe you or if they do will not understand what you are saying.

Solution: Allow only mingers as flight attendants or them gay guys. And train them. Problem solved.

And can pay the mingers less too.

It just occurred to me that maybe it is only the mingers that are complaining or else just a way for the thai airways flight attendants to try to get a salary increase. Or a way for the minger flight attendants to get rid of the looker flight attendants. Mingers versus Lookers.

Perhaps get rid of all the troublesome minger flight attendants. Problem solved.

I like it when they are backing up the aisle with the food trolley and they push their butt in your face.

That is a very common occurence in the cattle class section at the rear of the plane.

You really need to hope that they didn't eat baked beans for breakfast.

You have the choice to either ignore their rump, become a brown nose or sink your teeth into it. :o

The research conducted by, Mrs Chudapani (ชุดาปณี) Shibayama, a master's degree student from Thammasat University's Graduate Volunteer Centre's feminology project , under the underlined topic «Experiences of Sexual Harassment at Work: A Case Study of Thai Airways International flight attendants», has revealed that the majority of the most severe cases are found with flight attendants working in the economy class section, while the cases for those working in first or business classes are milder.

The study further disclosed that almost every profession of passengers have been reported to sexually harass the flight attendants in operation.

The study cited some information gathered from Thai Airways' information centre dated February 2003 to October 2004. There are reports of such nuisances including sexual and verbal harassments. Dozens of flight attendants reported the harms to Don Muang police station, pilots and airport security officials. Yet the advancement of the cases have not been seen.

In another development, head of the Friends of Women Foundation's Women's Rights Protection Centre, Miss Suphensri Pheungkhoaksoong (สุเพ็ญศรี พึ่งโคกสูง), had a few comments on the matter.

She said an action against harassers could be done if the airline or company stopped considering such sexual harassment reports are somewhat whimsical.

One other thing, according to Miss Suphensri, that could be done is an installation of emergency light to indicate the certain seat where such harassment is going on. When the light is on, pilots or other flight attendants seeing the message would approach the spot and help the harassed one out right away. She also suggested a method of blacklisting passengers with such behaviours, and have them trained of good manners before boarding the aircraft.

Miss Suphensri also called on the airline to improve their flight attendants' working costume as she viewed that the actual costume might overly accentuate the womanly curves and cleavages.

another story about nothing.

there is no definition given here of what actually constitutes harassment.

we are told about severe and mild cases .

is cheeky flirting considered harassment , does paying compliments constitute harassment , nowhere in this article is physical harassment mentioned , yet by implication we are led to believe that the economy section of the aircraft is a seething orgy of testosterone fuelled leering and groping.

what rubbish.

i suspect that the wording of the questions used when making this survey were worded very carefully to get the answers hoped for to back up this thesis. the conclusions were in all probability made before the survey was analysed.

its no secret that airline staff form liasons with passengers , just as liasons are made in any other workplace , and that "harassment" from first and business class is viewed in a very different light to "harassment " from the cattle in economy.

the most relevant part of the report are the words

Graduate Volunteer Centre's feminology project