'Money seasoning'; going from Non-O 90-day visa to extension based on retirement

I see in the forums that the application for the one-year extension based on retirement (in going from a single-entry, Non-O visa) is to be made 30 days prior the 'permission to stay until' date. And also that one must have had the requisite amount of 800,000 baht 'seasoned' in a Thai bank for 60 days at the time the application is made.

Are those time frames for those that hard and fast? Any wiggle room on those? It may take a little bit of time after arriving to get a local bank account set up and get the funds transferred in. Those time frames above would necessitate having to get the bank account opened and fund transfered the day after you first arrive, in order to be able to apply 30 days before the Non-O expires and to have had the funds 'seasoned' in the bank for 60 days. It might take a little while to get it all set up, as far as choosing a bank, locating a preferred branch, in addition to getting those in sync with finding a residence.

Just would want to know if you really have to hit the ground running on this aspect.

Thanks, good to hear that. It provides a little breathing room after I arrive to get situated and set things up. Find the best bank to deal with, too. Could you even take it to the last week/ten days or so to file the application?

In fact, from what I've been reading, a combo of income letter and and funds in a Thai bank is likely more of a doable route for me, and apparently in that case the funds don't have to be 'seasoned' as such, if my understanding is correct.

BTW, I crack up a bit at that term, 'seasoned' money. I'm used to hearing that more in sports, describing the experience level of players. Guess the opposite would be 'rookie funds'?

Edited by rwilem

You can apply with one day remaining if you wish but just make sure all your paperwork is in order.

If using the combination the money does not have to be in the bank for 60 days.

Unfortunately a few Immigration Offices do not seem to know this.

You also have to prove your income with a certified letter from your embassy.

If you choose to live some distance from your embassy this will mean a trip there and back.

Some embassies will want you to provide documented proof of your income others will take your word for it.

They will also charge for the letter.

As for the money in the bank, you must have a letter from the bank confirming the sum in the bank dated the day of the application.

Unless you know which offices do and which don't it is as well to get the letter on the same day.

Even if in the past they have accepted a previously dated letter there is a possibility they have changed.

Note, to have your bank book updated you will need to have made some sort of transaction since the last update.

Last year I deposited 10 b to fulfill that requirement.

Unless you know which offices do and which don't it is as well to get the letter on the same day.

Even if in the past they have accepted a previously dated letter there is a possibility they have changed.

Note, to have your bank book updated you will need to have made some sort of transaction since the last update.

Last year I deposited 10 b to fulfill that requirement.

"Note, to have your bank book updated you will need to have made some sort of transaction since the last update.

Last year I deposited 10 b to fulfill that requirement."

Not sure how most banks deal with it, but at Bangkok Bank you don't need a transaction. You just shove the book in the machine and it prints the balance on that day even if it hasn't changed from the last entry. In fact at my bank, when requesting the letter, that's what the manager or his assistant does anyway, so that his letter and the last entry in the book have the same date and the same balance.

Thanks for the input, all points duly noted. Best approach is to be prepared, maybe even 'over-prepared' a bit so you're ready if called upon to produce something. I also posted earlier about landing at the airport and seeing if Immigration would give me the 30 day visa-free entry, as I have to leave the country shortly (11 days) after arriving and would return about two weeks after that. Hope I can get the Non-O activated at the time of my second arrival, and start that 90 days ticking then, and get the money and income letter taken care of soon after that.

Appreciate your responses and I will post here about how it proceeds, and if I have another Q, or two, along the way.