CTPL - Compulsory Third Party Insurance for motorbikes

diggledunc

Good morning TV members.

I kept hearing that this insurance which goes with the road tax is useless. Just recently my friend's Thai partner had an accident with a dog and broke her ankle. The hospital bill was 15,000 and apparently this insurance paid it. They just gave the insurance details to the hospital or took the bill in, I forget which.

Following this and having just renewed the tax I thought I would try and find an English translation of the cover. Can't find one anywhere, can someone help?

With my motor insurance no valid licence no insurance cover. Does anybody know if this applies to CTPL as well? I was thinking if the same thing happened to someone similar to my friend's partner and they had no licence would the insurance just turn round same as a car and say no licence no cover and I would have to pick up the 15,000 bill.

What maybe even worse is if there were third party claims and the insurance wouldn't pay because no licence.

Any thoughts, views, experiences would be gladly received.

Good morning TV members.

I kept hearing that this insurance which goes with the road tax is useless. Just recently my friend's Thai partner had an accident with a dog and broke her ankle. The hospital bill was 15,000 and apparently this insurance paid it. They just gave the insurance details to the hospital or took the bill in, I forget which.

Following this and having just renewed the tax I thought I would try and find an English translation of the cover. Can't find one anywhere, can someone help?

With my motor insurance no valid licence no insurance cover. Does anybody know if this applies to CTPL as well? I was thinking if the same thing happened to someone similar to my friend's partner and they had no licence would the insurance just turn round same as a car and say no licence no cover and I would have to pick up the 15,000 bill.

What maybe even worse is if there were third party claims and the insurance wouldn't pay because no licence.

There was a really good article in the Bangkok Post this weekend - can't remember if it was Sat or Sun probably Sunday - in a lift out - which described in English quite well what the limits of this cover were for. If you can find a copy or search online it was a good read.

Hopefully a friendly expat insurance agent on TV can also help out.

Coverage

Compensation

Preliminary is initial amount paid without any proof of fault (claim within 7 days of the accident)

Medical service expenses

not more than 15,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Loss of organs

Permanent disability

35,000 Baht for person

Maximum coverage

(including preliminary coverage)

Bodily injury

Not more than 50,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Permanent disability

200,000 Baht

Medical Service Compensation

200 Baht per day but not more than 20 days

Note: If If it is proven that the driver is at fault, the insurer will only be responsible for preliminary compensation. The claim for preliminary compensation should be done within 180 days after the accident.

Sort of on the topic , what is the insurance , driving permit situation for electric scooters in Thailand ? I regularly use electric scooter in China (great machine) but the permit insurance issue is hazy they are not registered ie no number plate so no permit required and insurance is not obligatory. any body purchased / use electric scooters in Thailand and purchased from where ? what are you experiences with permit / and insurance ,

I drive a Yamaha 115 florino step through thing that is super easy to use , and looks okay with the right graphics choice ( ie not my little pony or Hello Kitty Type ) but I am looking to investigate the electric route after being very impressed with electric scooters in China .

My last purchase was 1700 rmb about 170 quid .. it will take two people ( I am not small ) and will easily do 40 K/per hour and has never run out of charged used for short hops to the shop etc 10 kilo .. similar to Thailand usage for my yamaha ..

Good morning TV members.

There was a really good article in the Bangkok Post this weekend - can't remember if it was Sat or Sun probably Sunday - in a lift out - which described in English quite well what the limits of this cover were for. If you can find a copy or search online it was a good read.

Thanks. Maybe it's just me but I couldn't find the back article from the weekend.

Hopefully a friendly expat insurance agent on TV can also help out.

Coverage

Compensation

Preliminary is initial amount paid without any proof of fault (claim within 7 days of the accident)

Medical service expenses

not more than 15,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Loss of organs

Permanent disability

35,000 Baht for person

Maximum coverage

(including preliminary coverage)

Bodily injury

Not more than 50,000 Baht

Loss of Life

Permanent disability

200,000 Baht

Medical Service Compensation

200 Baht per day but not more than 20 days

Note: If If it is proven that the driver is at fault, the insurer will only be responsible for preliminary compensation. The claim for preliminary compensation should be done within 180 days after the accident.

Thanks that's brilliant and shows why they got the bill paid.

Have you any views on the licence issue. I am thinking they won't pay.

Hope my car insurance renewal will be good this year. Wait to hear from you about that.

Why do you think that such insurance should cover someone who should not be using the motorcycle.

Simply stop anyone without a licence using your vehicle.

I don't think the insurance will cover but if you live in Thailand you see so many bikes around that are being driven by people without any. I ask the question and don't assume anything TiT.

I am hoping AA Insurance will verify this.

One of the main problems, on Samui anyway, is that rental is now based on production of a passport, NOT a driving licence. Renters may never have ridden a motorbike in their lives, yet can drive off without a care in the world, at least until they have an accident!

Does anyone know:

For example, providing I have a valid driving license, the vehicle is taxed and everything is in order, if the motorbike I am driving is in my wife`s name, am I still eligible to claim under the policy as if the bike was in my name? Or as a third party driver of the vehicle?

I don't understand why third-party insurance has payed-out in this case. Is 'third-party' a misnomer?

I believe it might be as clearly a driver in the UK would not be classed as third party. But in UK it would be the driver who was insured here it's the vehicle/bike so perhaps that makes the difference. Seems that's what it is called though.