V.s park Nong khai

rumbo1

Hello everyone

Has any of you fished above lake before ?

It is my local lake and having fished it 4 times now all I keep catching are pla sawai , I'm not complaining as its only 80 baht for the day and most of the time I have the lake to myself or maybe a couple of local Thais .

I've fished it between 2 and 6 p.m and had fish between 5 and 20 lb almost every cast but can't get anything else . It doesn't seem to matter what bait I use sticky rice , bread , sweet corn or fish balls . I've been told there are cahor to about 50 kg in there but can't get through the cats , has anyone got any tips or experience here please

Thanks

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hello jack

You're very right about all things you say about sawai !

I have caught them on sweet corn , sticky rice , bread paste , lam paste , fish balls , free lined floating bread , long range feeder and in the margins on the float , virtually you name it I've tried it !

To begin with I found it to be good fishing and enjoyable catching sawai between 3 and 9 kg almost every cast but now I'm trying to target cahor or smaller carp.

I was beginning to doubt there was any other species in there but I have seen a Thai catch 2 cahor in 2 consecutive days and a few other Thais catching smaller carp around the 1-2 kg size.

When I read about v.s I think it says there are 7 different spiecies in there but it seems 6 of them don't want to know me !

As I say it is good fishing and you can fish very light tackle because most of the time you have the lake to yourself and there's no snags but now I want to catch to the cahor or anything else !

Hello everyone

Has any of you fished above lake before ?

It is my local lake and having fished it 4 times now all I keep catching are pla sawai , I'm not complaining as its only 80 baht for the day and most of the time I have the lake to myself or maybe a couple of local Thais .

I've fished it between 2 and 6 p.m and had fish between 5 and 20 lb almost every cast but can't get anything else . It doesn't seem to matter what bait I use sticky rice , bread , sweet corn or fish balls . I've been told there are cahor to about 50 kg in there but can't get through the cats , has anyone got any tips or experience here please

Thanks

Mark

Your best chance of catching the carp will be float fishing on the bottom with a small piece of bread, use Lum as a groundbait or you can wrap Lum around the bread, the Sawai are at every depth and will normally be the first to any bait you throw out! the bottom will be your best chance!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the little local pond in Phuket you used to catch nearly all carp from a specific area. I believe it was slightly deeper there. Try fishing where your bait where you saw the local angler get one. I used to get all of mine with lam and a hook popped up with foam, fished on the bottom. Bread was also great but still it was 80% sawai 20% carp due to the amount of those catfish. Flavours like bannana and pandan are said to be good for carp over there. Sweetcorn is also great but what doesn't like it. biggrin.png

As I say I think it's mainly down to location.

In the little local pond in Phuket you used to catch nearly all carp from a specific area. I believe it was slightly deeper there. Try fishing where your bait where you saw the local angler get one. I used to get all of mine with lam and a hook popped up with foam, fished on the bottom. Bread was also great but still it was 80% sawai 20% carp due to the amount of those catfish. Flavours like bannana and pandan are said to be good for carp over there. Sweetcorn is also great but what doesn't like it. biggrin.png

At the Phuket lake I caught over 20 carp and 1 Mekong in one day, method was coil feeder loaded with Lum very short hook link close to the surface, every lake is different!! Bread is the best bait in Thailand, I have tried sweetcorn with no luck.

that Phuket lake has become a huge rip off, fish are small and the price is big!!

Edited by dogpoo

At the Phuket lake I caught over 20 carp and 1 Mekong in one day, method was coil feeder loaded with Lum very short hook link close to the surface, every lake is different!! Bread is the best bait in Thailand, I have tried sweetcorn with no luck.

that Phuket lake has become a huge rip off, fish are small and the price is big!!

Yes I fished it 2008-2010 mostly. Was 600 baht a time back then which seemed expensive but then Phuket had a closed market. Later found out I could pay 1000 for a month! Signed up and fished it like mad. Nearly anything in the water would work there and hookups came from 20 seconds to 5 mins. Found it to be 80% sawai at the time. Always got a good chance at a carp on the left hand side down from the bar. Nice little place but you were talking mostly 10kg to 15kg fish at the time which is tiny by Thai standards but prized sizes by UK standards that I was used to.