another faulty purchase

meatboy

Good to hear Samsung being reliable which is just as well if you ever do have to get a product repaired. Have a laptop where the network card failed after 6 months so took it into the service centre at Phantip. They agreed it was hardware fault and not software-come back in an hour and it will be done, Went back after an hour only to be told I needed to re install the OS, which I had done. Ah- have to leave for three day-ok, that turned into a week as the forms were filled out. Mrs went to pick it up after a week only to be told we had to re install the OS!! She told them she was not leaving until they had fixed it caused them all a loss of face by telling them off in front of customers, 20 minutes later it was repaired, no apology or explanation as to why they could not have done the same in the first hour as they said. I found the Acer place just as bad when I took a laptop back to them at Phantip, would have been as well to have taken it into 7/11.

• Like 1

Three thoughts here:

First thought:

Why is merchandise purchased in Thailand of such poor quality?

Good brand name items, Sanyo, Toshiba, Sony, and many others, all have inferior merrchandise in Thailand.

An expat friend of mine says to buy three of anything you need and maybe one will work, if not combining parts from all three to get one to work!

The same expat friend of mine is convinced that good companies from other countries send merchandise that will not pass their quality control specifications to Thailand since it is known that the majority of Thai people will never return a defective item!

That leads me to my next thought:

The op is very lucky to have a Thai wife who will actually complain and try to get a faulty item fixed or replaced. My wife, like most Thais won't!

Something to do with losing face..Don't the merchants lose face by selling crap???

Don't the customers lose face by putting up with it??

Final thought:

Meatboy, is it that difficult to type an entire word rather than make up your own weak abreviations?

<deleted>? Wife is only two more letters than wf!

It makes your posts very difficult to read.

Go that extra mile, type that extra letter!

Make your post better than Thai quality!

Thank you!

first thought.we thats me and my wife[thanks for the spelling]were told the same that one major retailer sold sub-standad goods,we did buy one electrical item from there and within 3weeks took it back,was given another one so far so good.

second thought.they wont pull the wool over my wife's eye's she was a supervisor in the uk.for 20yrs.and as she is married to a farang she watches every baht she spends,now that is very,very unusual and nobody dared mention why dont you buy that.

final thought. give us a break im welsh you know

Three coffee makers

Three DVD players

One desktop computer

Two floor fans

One doorbell

Four sets of outdoor lights

One hot water maker

One stovetop burner

And just recently one a/c starting to vibrate and make noise despite its quarterly checkups

All kaput in three years.

I think you may need a better Spirit House outside your premises.

At least the Spirit Houses don't usually break. Forgot to mention that one of the DVD players caught fire while it was switched OFF at the back!

Three coffee makers

Three DVD players

One desktop computer

Two floor fans

One doorbell

One hot water maker

One stovetop burner

And just recently one a/c starting to vibrate and make noise despite its quarterly checkups

All kaput in three years.

I think you may need a better Spirit House outside your premises.

At least the Spirit Houses don't usually break. Forgot to mention that one of the DVD players caught fire while it was switched OFF at the back!

Some of you lot must watch some very hot DVDs.

I have had little problem with service here. One thermostat for a freezer.. Cost to fix out of warantee 120 baht. Service came in two days. (he was sorry he had to go out of town).

Breadmaker (Fagor) began to slow down after 2 years. Delivered to Central they sent to service 1500 baht quoted for motor and service. They suggested sending it back to Central so we did not have to pay freight. Total time break to breakfast. 17 days.

TV Freezer fridge pump hotwater wahing machine no problem after 3 years.

Edited by harrry

In a country where it's universally accepted that it's not worthwhile to replace a failed tail-light ( headlight sometimes ) , then there's no chance of a freezer light being considered a priority !

Good luck ,anyway .!

All my Thai friends around here urge me to buy products that are actually made and manufactured in Thailand, E.G. Mitsubishi ACs. Makes it easier for spare parts and service.

A while back, without any prior warning, they did a 'power flush' through our water system here. Don't ask me the pressure they did it at but it completely wiped out the inlet valve of my Samsung Front Loading Washing Machine, which was way out of Warranty.

I called the 'Samsung' Service Centre in Bangkok. Next Day. Bloke turns up on a Motorbike. Pulls the washing machine to bits and tells me the inlet valve unit is U/S. He puts the machine back together and says he will see me tomorrow. Does not ask for any money.

On the morro he rolls up, takes it all apart again and fits the new part. Tells me, in future, leave the power lead unplugged and the water tap switched to off when the machine is not in use. Good tip. Thanks.

Cost? Including part. Properly invoiced. 1100 Baht. Unbelievable.

Here's 1200 I say, get yourself a feed on the way home.

As someone already mentioned here - Invest in UPS Units to protect your sensitive electronics. More effective use of your money than buying 'extended guarantees' from the manufacturers at time of purchase.

• Like 1

hahahahahaha, lets see, in the past 12 months here is a list.

New LED TV lasted 5 weeks than they took 2 months to repair it(not replace it).

New toaster last 6 months, they refused to replace it.

Another new toaster lasted 3 months then I fixed it myself.

Hot water urn lasted around 3 months and again I fixed it myself.

New beds(2) lasted 3 weeks then broke(both of them), took 3 months to repair(again refused to replace)

Garden rake, broke first time I used it, simply fell to pieces so I just threw it away.

Had a laptop computer repaired(new screen), when turned it on the next day it wouldnt start, needed new motherboard due to short(wiring), they said my faullt not theirs.

Had full service on car(new shockies/springs etc), then a couple of weeks later the steering arms(where work was done) just fell to pieces, they denied responsibility.

The service on the engine, never drained the oil(oil still black and smelled burnt,sump plug still covered in dirty grease with no marks from a spanner on it) , never cleaned the motor, indicator light not working etc etc, Lots of empty oil bottles left in car and receipt stating they had done it all but refused to accept the truth and said I had faked it all(major dealer).

New hard drive, top brand made in Tailand shit itself well inside warranty but refused to do anything

Do I think Thailand work is absolute shit, YES.

Does this change the way I think of the country , NO, just that the work here is pathetic and no one cares. If I want something I just make sure it isnt made locally.

Three coffee makers

Three DVD players

One desktop computer

Two floor fans

One doorbell

One hot water maker

One stovetop burner

All kaput in three years. The d@mned coffee makers had eggshell thin glass coffee pots and two of them simply cracked with mild and careful use. And guess what? No replacement carafes here. I started out buying top of the line "quality" household appliances. But they seem to break as quickly as everything else. Nowadays, I only buy the cheapest brand available, because I knoow I'll need to replace within 16 months anyway. Thailand = hub of cheap electrical junk manufacturers--and the most poorly built and maintained electricity supply this side of Equitorial Guinea.

This is wrong: "And just recently one a/c starting to vibrate and make noise despite its quarterly checkups".

Right is: "And just recently one a/c starting to vibrate and make noise because of its quarterly checkups"

WE have 15 aircons installed and serviced from different people. Not one is installed correctly. At every checkup a few screws got lost and with half the screws missing and half the plastic not locked in it starts to vibrate.

• Like 1

hahahahahaha, lets see, in the past 12 months here is a list.

New LED TV lasted 5 weeks than they took 2 months to repair it(not replace it).

New toaster last 6 months, they refused to replace it.

Another new toaster lasted 3 months then I fixed it myself.

Hot water urn lasted around 3 months and again I fixed it myself.

New beds(2) lasted 3 weeks then broke(both of them), took 3 months to repair(again refused to replace)

Garden rake, broke first time I used it, simply fell to pieces so I just threw it away.

Had a laptop computer repaired(new screen), when turned it on the next day it wouldnt start, needed new motherboard due to short(wiring), they said my faullt not theirs.

Had full service on car(new shockies/springs etc), then a couple of weeks later the steering arms(where work was done) just fell to pieces, they denied responsibility.

The service on the engine, never drained the oil(oil still black and smelled burnt,sump plug still covered in dirty grease with no marks from a spanner on it) , never cleaned the motor, indicator light not working etc etc, Lots of empty oil bottles left in car and receipt stating they had done it all but refused to accept the truth and said I had faked it all(major dealer).

New hard drive, top brand made in Tailand shit itself well inside warranty but refused to do anything

Do I think Thailand work is absolute shit, YES.

Does this change the way I think of the country , NO, just that the work here is pathetic and no one cares. If I want something I just make sure it isnt made locally.

What hard drive? I replace hard drives every month, till the last day of the 3 or 5 year warranty, never any problems.

The shop doesn't care because they just send it in. I surely had already 20-30 HD replacements. It need 2-3 weeks.

Nealry all our house kit is Samsung. Most it for this house was bought 5 years ago and never had a problem.

10kg toploader washing machine - still going strong although under massive pressure

TV's, DVD players - no issues

Microwave - no issues

Fridge - no issues

Tablets, phones, laptops - no issues

I will only buy Samsung both here and in the UK.

• Like 1

thanks david us boyo's from the valley's of wales were always a bit backward coming forward school education was leaning how to play rugby,kissing the girls in the toilets,sheep shagging,drinking beer and cider and eating pies.

you should learn Thai.Would suit you down to a tee. No full stops. No punctuation. Long sentences. You won't even have to put spaces between words as an added bonus.

Edited by samran

Interesting debate .

We had a Samsung washing machine which failed after about 14 months use.

The service people arrived the day after we telephoned asking for service.

Checked the machine and told us we needed a new electronics board which would cost approx 1000 bht.

We agreed.

Later in the day we received a call telling us the spare part was not available.

This is the good bit smile.png

We were offered 4500 bht in compensation !

We accepted. We had to travel to the office to pick up the cheque.

The Samsung guys picked up the "old" machine and we went out and bought another machine.

We found a nice machine on sale for 8500 baht -net cost to us 4000 bht!

Yes the new machine was a Samsung ! smile.png

Interesting debate .

We had a Samsung washing machine which failed after about 14 months use.

The service people arrived the day after we telephoned asking for service.

Checked the machine and told us we needed a new electronics board which would cost approx 1000 bht.

We agreed.

Later in the day we received a call telling us the spare part was not available.

This is the good bit smile.png

We were offered 4500 bht in compensation !

We accepted. We had to travel to the office to pick up the cheque.

The Samsung guys picked up the "old" machine and we went out and bought another machine.

We found a nice machine on sale for 8500 baht -net cost to us 4000 bht!

Yes the new machine was a Samsung ! smile.png

I had a problem with a LG ac.

They ac guys (not from LG) told me all kind of bs stories. Finally he got the spare part, which is very expensive: 500 Baht without he adding anything.

Failed 2 month later. It was also installed wrong and might be the wrong part.

So after several 1000 Baht (and the guy always offered to sell us a different AC), I decided I to it myself.

With the internet I found the part to replace. Called LG, they told 110 Baht (not 500). Motorbike guy who went there came back and told they only charged 80 Baht.

I installed it, saw that they slightly unscrewed the filling valve (so we need them again to refill). So I bought the kit to fill myself.

Since than everything run perfect. Before we had problems every few month.

On the AC it is often not the product quality, it is the people who install it.....

on a serious note, I always fix all the electric myself unless it's a big and costly job. Hell, I probably won't even bother with burnt out power light...

The only warranty issue I had in Thai was with my HP laptop battery, I brought it in myself, they looked at it, ordered new battery and told me to come back a few days later. went back and exchanged the old batt for a new one.

Good luck with your freezer.

burnt out power light need they need long time to get the spare part????

it takes 18hrs.to get 5kilo's coffee sent to me from chiang mai,4days for a small package from the uk.

its 10days since the maintenance pair came to inspect the fault yet no sign of the part.

panasonic please dont phone me and say its held up by customs

this is the latest episode in this mind blowing saga.

this morning at 11.15 they turn up with their box of tricks,unplug the freezer take out the part that holds the power light is it called the element test it,oh sorry you need a new one[no kidding]

so off they go this time with the part that needs replaceing come back 5pm ok.

over 2weeks working this out.

talk about bud abbott and lou costellocheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif laughs a min.

Does it work now?

they said they would be back at 5pm.gee make that 3.50 they must of had the part all along,2minutes to fit,the wife asked to see the invoice for her to sign,no have was the reply[fiddling tw-ts i fink].oh well 2lights means ex.electric.

cant wait for the next exciting saga.

Same as other poster (MJP), whole house is Samsung, never had an issue anywhere in over 6 years.

Meatboy: nothing wrong with the Welsh ! Be proud man!....lol.....

.I was never backwards in coming forward butt, I'm welsh too see, isnt it ...lol

Edited by CharlieH

david48 will be along shortly to translate.

meatboy ... I hope I was close ... rolleyes.gif.

Better late than never.

Some will be shocked to read your proper translstion.

Some will wonder how many times it took you to read the OP to come to this translstion.

Some well......will have a good laugh

Well done young man.

I don't know if I was even close ... yet.

How many times did I read the OP? ... well, once actually.

I used to have to write speeches for others from their notes as part of my job,

so I have a dispensation to try and understand others.

Like most members, if you give them a chance ... their OK.

Mind you, snake24 does my head in ... no chance there ... facepalm.gif

You have to admire Snake24's ability to miss the point, though. I doubt he could drop a goal from five yards out. His off-topic OP on the bar-girls and rugby league thread was outstanding. Meatboy's easy to understand, if you read it in a Jonathan Davies voice - unfortunately I then find myself pressing the mute button...

Anyway, I enjoy going to the Chinese hardware stores, while we're talking about Snake24. I have finally concluded that everything is sorted in dictionary order, by stroke count of the hanji characters. Normally I have to rely on another customer to translate, although sometimes at the weekends the kids are helping out, and they generally understand English.

SC

• Like 1