Received Thai Driver's License with Tourist Visa

stoli

A month ago I posted that I needed information on how to get a Motorcycle Driver's License for my visiting son because I have read and been told that you can not get a license with a Tourist Visa. A couple of members posted back that they had received theirs with a Tourist Visa, so we gave it a shot. We not only tried this week, but were successful. The tourist visa was not even an issue. However, some things have changed here in Pattaya. When I have gotten my licenses, both temporary, and now 5 year licenses, it was a one day exercise. They now require 3 days. First day paperwork was done by 10:30am, and they said come back tomorrow. Next day watching videos, doing colorblind and depth perception test, was done by noon. They said come back tomorrow for computer exam. When we went back today for the computer exam, they specifically asked if this was our 3rd day. When we said yes, they finished with us and produced the license for him. Second day he had to watch the video from 9:00am to 12:00am. If you left the room for over 5 minutes, you failed and were sent home. We actually saw people not follow the rules and told to leave, don't come back.

I had asked my landlord to write a new lease with my son's name on it to show residency. At immigration, the officer called the landlord to make sure that the lease was legitimate, which I thought was a great idea. I have seen posts where people go to the stationary store and make a fake lease. They check now.

Thank you to those that posted back to me telling me that it was possible for my son to get a license with a tourist visa. Now we can plan our trip to Ban Phe & Koh Chang.

Edited by stoli

Result!

The 3-day process; is that because they are so inundated with DL applicants?

I reckon if I am still around when my 5-year DL is due for renewal, I will do it up in Udon where the first two were issued. I still have a house up there.

Buy you could have avoided all the drama and been in and out in 90 minutes if he'd got an IDL (International Drivers Licence) before he came over. All you have to do then is the eye and coordination tests. No watching videos and no practical test.

• Like 1

Buy you could have avoided all the drama and been in and out in 90 minutes if he'd got an IDL (International Drivers Licence) before he came over. All you have to do then is the eye and coordination tests. No watching videos and no practical test.

Not correct at all. Since he did not have a motorcycle license in the states, the IDL would have shown a license only for a car. You then have to take all of the tests required for a motorcycle license.

3 days?

Never heard that before.

The process I went thru was about 6 hrs.

Check in, test coordination, then watch the video and study the road signs.

After lunch, driving test then computer test.

Pass and pay the fee, they take a photo and print the license.

3 days?

Never heard that before.

The process I went thru was about 6 hrs.

Check in, test coordination, then watch the video and study the road signs.

After lunch, driving test then computer test.

Pass and pay the fee, they take a photo and print the license.

The 3 day process might have been for just this week, or this month. At 12:00pm, they would bring in a school bus load of Thai students (maybe 50) for them to take the tests and get their motorcycle license. Of course they should be given priority as they need to complete tests and take bus back to school. I for one am happy that the schools now do this. It would be nice to have more Thai's getting instructions and a license. So, maybe, the 3 days is a short term problem for foreigners? Maybe not?

I wish they would raise their rates to 1,000 baht per license, build a building twice the size, and hire more people. I have never seen a staff work so hard as those folks at the DLT, and then having to argue with foreigners that think it is their God-given right to get a Thai license.

• Like 1

did he show his drivers licence from home ?

was everything in Thai ? and does he speak Thai

It would be nice to have one , just to piss the cops back home !

Yes, he presented his car Driver's License from the states. If you mean, "was everything in Thai ?" referring to the test, it is all in English as well as Thai, so language is not a problem, unless your native language is not English. I don't know how the Russians that don't speak English struggle through the tests.

ummm OK....would a car drivers licence be the same drill ?

It would be the same drill if you did not have a car license from somewhere. I have my car license as well as a motorcycle license.

I have a USA drivers licence but no USA bike licence

and was the call to the landlord needed ? Since I am staying in a Hotel smile.png

Will an Internation drivers licence be better than A USA drivers licence to get a auto drivers licence ?

and is there a link to getting it in one day or 90 minutes ?

thanks

and was the call to the landlord needed ? Since I am staying in a Hotel smile.png

Will an Internation drivers licence be better than A USA drivers licence to get a auto drivers licence ?

thanks

That was the situation for my son. I don't think there is any way you can get a license staying at a hotel. You must first go to a Medical Clinic and get a medical certificate stating that you are alive. You then go to immigration and show them the medical certificate, passport, and a copy of your lease. Immigration will give you a Certificate of Residency that you take to the Dept. of Land Transport (DMV). As I stated before, right now they are not doing a license in one day, but over 3 days. There is no link to one day or 90 minutes except for the places on the street in Bangkok that illegally make you a fake driver's license with your picture on it. I am sure the police know how to spot those.

thanks

Have you looked here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

or here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/ meant to be specific to Pattaya.

As the OP says his experience may have been a one off or the new norm as it was certainly different to what others (me included) have experienced at different times. Unless for some reason the building is empty of applicants (or you are at the front of the queue) I would suggest you have zero chance if getting it in 90 minutes even if they only make you take the vision and reaction tests - which is all I have ever had to do thus far.

That is supposed to be the case but not mine. Had to run the whole gamut.

Not correct at all. Since he did not have a motorcycle license in the states, the IDL would have shown a license only for a car. You then have to take all of the tests required for a motorcycle license.

When I got my IDL I requested and received a motorcycle endorsement.

• Like 1

CORRECT, because the IDL is good for whatever class of licence it is endorsed with in your home country and you will not need the tests in Thailand. Be it car, motorcycle, or moon buggy.

The OP did not state that the son didn't have a motorcycle licence, which in the context of my post is irrelevant anyway.

Edited by Gsxrnz

thanks

That was the situation for my son. I don't think there is any way you can get a license staying at a hotel. You must first go to a Medical Clinic and get a medical certificate stating that you are alive. You then go to immigration and show them the medical certificate, passport, and a copy of your lease. Immigration will give you a Certificate of Residency that you take to the Dept. of Land Transport (DMV). As I stated before, right now they are not doing a license in one day, but over 3 days. There is no link to one day or 90 minutes except for the places on the street in Bangkok that illegally make you a fake driver's license with your picture on it. I am sure the police know how to spot those.

Of course you can use a hotel address as residence proof. Immigration will issue a proof of residence document for any address in Thailand, if that is where you live - hotels included. A letter from the Hotel or a bill/invoice with your name and their address on it will suffice.

CORRECT, because the IDL is good for whatever class of licence it is endorsed with in your home country and you will not need the tests in Thailand. Be it car, motorcycle, or moon buggy.

The OP did not state that the son didn't have a motorcycle licence, which in the context of my post is irrelevant anyway.

Reading correctly is a big part of life. I did state that my son did not have a motorcycle license from the states. The only way to get an IDL from AAA in the states is to have your agent falsify that you have a motorcycle license and give you an endorsement. ThaiVisa does not allow illegal activities to be promoted on it's forum.

Maybe you think if you put CORRECT in all caps, it means you are right. No, you again are wrong. This thread is over as far as I am concerned. Just wanted to thank those that helped me. You are not one of them.

Reading correctly is a big part of life. I did state that my son did not have a motorcycle license from the states. The only way to get an IDL from AAA in the states is to have your agent falsify that you have a motorcycle license and give you an endorsement. ThaiVisa does not allow illegal activities to be promoted on it's forum.

Maybe you think if you put CORRECT in all caps, it means you are right. No, you again are wrong. This thread is over as far as I am concerned. Just wanted to thank those that helped me. You are not one of them.

Mate - untwist your knickers and read your OP. Nowhere does it state that your son did not have a motorcycle licence. You only make mention of that fact AFTER (yes, capitals - can you live with it?) my post about the IDL. My comments re the IDL were therefore correct in context.

You seem to be of the ready, fire, aim brigade.

Get over yourself. w00t.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

I am pretty sure the 1 hour movie is mandatory In Pattaya now. I just took my 5 -6 year renewal not to long ago. Boring as hell Leave it to beaver would have been more happening. I slipped out 3 times & was making jokes about the lame movie & My girl was pissed at me - but all they talked about was road rage & not really any important info that might be useful driving in Thailand. If you hit the right day & time it will take 3-4 hour at most if you have the Intl lic. & your old current licenses to trade in.

I'm colorblind. I have gotten licenses in the states with no problem regarding the color issue. Has anyone with colorblindness taken the thai license test?

My U.S. license expired many years ago , so I would have to start from scratch getting a motorcycle license in Thailand. I would like to hear some feedback concerning experiences with the thai version of the color blind test. Thanks!

I've seen them use 2 different color blind tests

1st one is a set of red, yellow and green " traffic lights "

2nd one I think is much harder for someone who's color blind its an image like this

post-2109-0-18678400-1382325571_thumb.jp

the instructer points to color dots and ask whats the color.

I saw a guy fail 2 times on this test the instructor told him if you say blue again you go home then she pointed at a green dot

and he said blue....everyone laughed and she let him pass !!!!

I've heard that at test centers at Sri-racha or Rayong you can still do the whole test in one day, Pattaya DLT is very very busy.

Can get the car license and live with that. In 12 years never had a problem showing car license when riding a bike.

Not to mention worst case scenario is 500 baht fine

Can get the car license and live with that. In 12 years never had a problem showing car license when riding a bike.

I had a "problem" showing a car licence whilst driving my bike on only the second day, they stopped me and many other bikers on Sukhumvit outside the Ambassador city Hotel, fine was 500 baht but talked it down to 200 at the police station.

Soon after that I went through the hoops and got a car and bike licence and have only ever been stopped again once...it was a nice feeling

seeing the disapointment on the cops face when I could provide everything he wanted and he had to let me go on my way without any tea money.

I had a "problem" showing a car licence whilst driving my bike on only the second day, they stopped me and many other bikers on Sukhumvit outside the Ambassador city Hotel, fine was 500 baht but talked it down to 200 at the police station.

Soon after that I went through the hoops and got a car and bike licence and have only ever been stopped again once...it was a nice feeling

seeing the disapointment on the cops face when I could provide everything he wanted and he had to let me go on my way without any tea money.

As i said, worst case scenario is 500 baht fine.

is there a website where I can download the application ?

and the paper my "landlord" needs to sign ?

plus whatever else I need.......Thanks

OHH and will it help to bring an International drivers licence with my USA licence ......

Edited by BKKdreaming

is there a website where I can download the application ?

and the paper my "landlord" needs to sign ?

plus whatever else I need.......Thanks

OHH and will it help to bring an International drivers licence with my USA licence ......

- The application is competed by the staff at the DLT - you just need to make sure you have all the correct info - read the pinned threads!

- For the Certificate of Residence from Immigration you need proof of address - Eg. copy of a tenancy agreement from your landlord or a letter saying he confirms you are renting/staying blah blah - there is no formal form.

If you have a genuine IDP it may help. When I first got my Thai licences I had both and they took the copy of the IDP, not my UK licence, and gave me bike and car licences even though I had no bike endorsement. I think I was very lucky as I only did the colour, reaction and vision tests - no highway code or practical. YMMV