Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

Me and my concubine chick have been putting loose change (one-baht coins ONLY) into a 4-liter plastic jar for a few months. It now weighs 1.7 kilos. We're both too lazy to count the value of our hoardings. Does anyone know how much a one-baht coin weighs? If I know that I can do the math...

If this ridiculous fee is enforced we'll dump the whole jar onto the collection table and wait to be either arrested or fined for (use your imagination) or maybe both.

I've already told my lawyer and he thinks this is an excellent idea. He's a nice guy but maybe not the sharpest brick in the chandelier.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a 500 Baht Tax for leaving Thailand,and then they incorporated the fee into the Air Fare. Now they think everyone has forgotten the 500 Baht Tax, it seems they are bringing it back again.

And what's all this nonsense about paying for Medical Service costs for Foreigners?

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Such a tax in principle is a good idea if and I repeat IF it would be used for the sole purpose it was introduced. Small taxes often take more costs in collection and administration than what is raised in revenue, but in any case any surplus goes into central government coffers for distribution as the government sees fit. Its the same the world over. Take the UK for instance and the car/motorcycle road fund licence that was originally introduced to build and repair roads.If the present road fund licence tax was used for roads we would have the best roads in the world, all with street lighting and a free breakdown service etc etc. Another tax The Green Energy Tax, where dose that go.All governments are thinking of ways to increase revenue without effecting there prospects of reelection. Gordon Brown ex UK Chancellor and PM was the master of stealth taxes, he claimed, quite rightly, that income tax had gone down during his tenure but in reality the overall tax burden greatly increased. Thailand has commenced with pension and disabled benefits and are realising the increasing cost and need supplementary tax income. Most Thais do not pay tax and it would certainly not go down well with the voting masses if it were introduced. Foreigners do not vote in Thai elections so taxing them is a good option to raise revenue. It may not be this one but beware Thais and foreigners that the increased alcohol tax will not be the only one as government expenditure increases.

So. As an expat, if I do a border run specifically to obtain this medical cover, for how long would I be covered?

Would it be just for a defined number of weeks or for a full year or perhaps until the next time I re-enter the country.

Hopefully, with this health cover, we will know where we stand before we fall into a hospital bed.

That is not a question that we can answer on this forum so we will just have to wait and see.

Well the tourist are contributing huge amounts to the banks of Thailand bottom line via the ATM charge of 5 dollar us per transaction The Health minstery is just following suit in its not so suttle way. The difference is the banks take the money, directly,themselves, whereas the Health ministry will have to have some other stickey fingered official enity collect/distribute the moneies .The TAT may want a share as well as the Toursim ministry. This could lead to a real donnie brook between the three.

Amazing Thailand. blink.png

Does the TAT approve, or can they market this?

Don't know the facts but does any other civilised country do this?

And no guesses where the fees would end up. dry.png

Most likely financing the shortfall of the rice scam to enrich a dozen or so families who appear to control it.

Cambodia charges $20USD upon entry. Oh but you did ask for civilized...answer is no.

Edited by mdmayes

Me and my concubine chick have been putting loose change (one-baht coins ONLY) into a 4-liter plastic jar for a few months. It now weighs 1.7 kilos. We're both too lazy to count the value of our hoardings. Does anyone know how much a one-baht coin weighs? If I know that I can do the math...

If this ridiculous fee is enforced we'll dump the whole jar onto the collection table and wait to be either arrested or fined for (use your imagination) or maybe both.

I've already told my lawyer and he thinks this is an excellent idea. He's a nice guy but maybe not the sharpest brick in the chandelier.

sharpest brick in the chandelier? What are you talking about? This proves my point that it is this kind of banality that gives foreigners a bad name in Thailand. Dump it, and while your at it buy a ticket home since you can't abide by the laws of this country and believe that you have some special right to be here

Most likely financing the shortfall of the rice scam to enrich a dozen or so families who appear to control it.

Cambodia charges $20USD upon entry. Oh but you did ask for civilized...answer is no.
lol briliant

Many other countries charge an entry or departure fee or both, ie. Philippines, I think this is just putting another name on it. I have been told that there is the ability for long term farang stayers here to pay 2800 bht per year to receive hospital and medcial treatment in Thai hospital, has anyone had any involvement with this or can confirm the suggestion?

It seems fair, someone has to pay the medical bills for all the tourists that are beat up, stabbed and robbed, not to mention the large number of tourists that continue to travel on buses and trains in Thailand and end up in hospitals with massive medical bills.

• Like 1

Minister Pradit Sintavanarong,

When a tourist is hospitalized, he/she will be brought to the hospital. Will the hospital not charge him/her because he/she is a tourist?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Is the US civilized? It charges 36 different countries $14 to enter.

This is not world first.

Many country have such law.

Some even force you to exchange x dollars per day to their currency.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited. I'm not doubting you but which countries have such a tourist unfriendly law?

No doubt this is yet another hare brained idea that will die the death it deserves.

Only to stay arround Thailand:

Myanmar:

you enter Myanmar from Thailand w/o visa: 500 Baht and have to leave the same day again

Laos:

You cannot enter w/o a visa like Thailand

Cambodia:

You cannot enter w/o a visa like Thailand. If you enter and dont stay overnight, you also pay.

Thailand is the only one of this countries, you can enter w/o visa AND additional costs/fees (yet).

And when I see the costs for a hard to get Schengen Visa if not married...

So the question should be: where´s another country, you can enter w/o costs like visa etc. anyway?

Edited by starcatcher

The other problem is the many road accidents, including buses, vans and motorcycles. I am not sure who picks up the cost for some of these.

What about insurance ??? As far as know all vehicles should have valid insurance which should cover accidents (including passengers) and if someone dont have it maybe they should more focus on checking those dodgy vans and motorcycles and drivers for driving licences and insurance ?

• Like 1

Take it easy guys!!coffee1.gif

Tomorrow it will be all forgotten, just the stupid idea of the day!!w00t.gif

On the other hand of course we would love to pay an entrance fee to Disneyland, so we can be cheated, doublepriced and scamed in general. NOT w00t.gif

Just wait til they come up with the idea for an ASEAN tax............whoopsw00t.gif

Take it easy guys!!coffee1.gif

Tomorrow it will be all forgotten, just the stupid idea of the day!!w00t.gif

On the other hand of course we would love to pay an entrance fee to Disneyland, so we can be cheated, doublepriced and scamed in general. NOT w00t.gif

I think you are probably right, at least I hope so, I would agree that you should be able to show you have medical cover, but a blanket fee is crazy especially as most sensible travellers should have medical insurance anyway.

Ignoring the morals ,politics te practicalities will be interesting.

I am here long enough to recal distress at Don Muang when 500 Thai baht cash only was the exit tax.

Folks all checkin with $$s etc had to go back and change 500bahts to exit ,this has been added into to tickets at 700 per exit and is itemised on some airlines.Why not make ita grand 1000baht and pass on to MOH

Now the fee is small potatoes if you can afford to fly.

However can you imagine the queues explaining to all ages and language groups the fee.

What if you do not have any baht cash ,ATMs in arrivals ?

Will credit/visa debit cards or $ be acceptable,will receipts be issued cheesy.gif

If they wish to do it and who can blame them add it onto the exit tax,

This has the added benefit of those of us already in wont pay and nor anyone one else having the cheek to die before leaving.

Seriously this needs thinking through.

A corollary may be for low budget Asians and backpackers to fail to purchase adequate cover believing LOS will pay for thembah.gif

Remember the Dam exit fee well , It was an absolute diaster , as you have said . This is shaping up exactly the Same .

I dont understand this as we all have travel insurance with healthcare coverage. We also have a worldwide healthcare insurance system in the country were i live in and everybody has that insurance. Why do i need to pay again for entering Thailand? Do they want to shoot themselves in the foot? Does TAT agree to this?

I wonder if they will also charge the foreign residents who are traveling often in and out of Thailand, who has a work permit, pay taxes and have multiple entry visa. No word about this! Perhaps everyone who does not held a Thai passport is considered tourist ...in any case this is really stupid and for sure will affect the tourism industry! What about the tourist who have a medical inssurance ? Will they also have to pay ? No word about this either ...

Whilst I agree with a lot of your thoughts as a long staying WP possessing, income tax paying Brit I think its way to early to get excited about this as it hasn't even started the approval process.If it does happen then its nothing new as there used to be a 500 baht departure tax in Thailand that was payable by everyone flying out of the country regardless of residence status or length of stay. Actually if they do introduce a tax on all foreign arrivals whether tourists, tax paying residents or otherwise then it is a perfectly reasonable way for the government to increase tax inflows into the public kitty as the people affected will generally be affected less than others would be if the VAT rate was increased UK style.

I really can't believe what I'm hearing here...a huge amount of sycophants on this sight complimenting each other with continuous banality. Can one of you name a country that doesn't charge for its healthcare? Should the Thai public be responsible for paying the bills of drunken tourists getting into fist fights over some fickle issue? turn up at a hospital without a cent to pay for the cost of medical care? No western country provides free healthcare, with the exception of a few EU countries, and the Thai government has the right to charge visitors a fee for healthcare rather than be a burden to hard working tax payers. To put it another way and Irregardless of the corruption, for which no country is immune, the Thai government has every right to charge a fee for short stay tourists coming to Thailand, whose only purpose is to get drunk and get some tail...

On that note do any of you have Thai spouses? Do you treat your partners with as much disdain and disrespect? You all live in Thailand so stop winning about the imperfections and show some respect for the country in which you're 'guests'. All of you live here so how about contributing positively rather continue to put this country down....the majority of Thais are good people who happily share their country with a smile.

Lastly, if you all went home would you have the same quality of life that you receive here? Why are you here if these issues make you so miserable that you feel the need to cripple your hosts with decrepit rhetoric, which to say the least, borders on the absurd.

I have lived here for almost 20 years - if I had my way I would have you all thrown out for such rhetoric. Yes you're not Thai nationals and therefore can't be prosecuted for treason, but in most countries if you had this attitude you would be shot, beaten or jailed for such discourse. Think about that before making subjective and ridiculous statements

Yes, yes, yes. For the millionth time, yes. In the U.S. it is against the law for hospitals to refuse to admit and treat emergency cases. In fact, along the Mexican border it has long been the case (at least used to until recently) that BP would waive Mexican ambulances through to American hospitals for baby deliveries. No matter your legal status or visa or citizenship status, US hospitals must treat you. I would guess that at least a few Thais, illegal or not, take advantage of this law. Oh, and the hospitals do not ask about immigration status when you're admitted either.

I wonder if they will also charge the foreign residents who are traveling often in and out of Thailand, who has a work permit, pay taxes and have multiple entry visa. No word about this! Perhaps everyone who does not held a Thai passport is considered tourist ...in any case this is really stupid and for sure will affect the tourism industry! What about the tourist who have a medical inssurance ? Will they also have to pay ? No word about this either ...

The Thai government and the immigration police consider all foreigners to be temporary visitors for the purpose of tourism.

The only exceptions to this are those that are holding a work position that is approved for recruiting foreigners. This regulation is to ensure that we can be asked to leave anytime legally without being given a reason.

You have a valid point and I respect it...but you are only talking about public healthcare in the US, not private. The reality is the even the public system turns away patients. But this is not decidedly the point or the topic, the fact remains that all governments in any country has no real health plan...that is the topic here. For Thailand, and if the bill comes into effect, it is a great solution to a

an ongoing problem...500 baht for health care? Is there any place in the world that you know of that will offer something similar?