Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

I will ad that perhaps some of that money will line the pockets of corrupt politicians, as in every country, however, it still is a great option for any tourist. I would prefer to pay 500 baht upon arrival for full health cover rather than 100-500k should I have an accident on a motor cycle or have a heart attack. This is a positive solution to an ongoing problem and I think most educated people would agree on this

Most educated people agree this is nothing but a rip-off scam to reap more money.

Most educated people would have health insurance

"Half of British holidaymakers have no travel insurance

"13 million holidaymakers have no travel insurance, and 8.8m have no intention of buying it, says new research from the Money Advice Service."

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/news/august-2012/holidaymakers-with-no-travel-insurance-37470/

and this is why when things go wrong in a foreign country British citizens are standing in the embassy or consulate...demanding the British goverment do "something" but they fail to remember they are not in the nanny state anymore, they cant run around with their hands out bleating on about it some elses fault and the goverment has to do something and bail them out the sh*t..wink.png

go and read up on the current case going on in Phuket, EX-British soldier involved in a bike accident recently had no medical insurance and family and friends are trying to get 100k (US/sterling ?) together to get the guy home

If there was ever a practical example as why having medical insurance is so important this is it, yes no one including me like paying for insurances, but you are very glad they are in place when you do need them.

I have know a few "well to do" guys who were not short of cash nearly become bankrupt because they didnt have medical insurance when they got seriously ill or involved in accidents...

• Like 1

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel to Indonesia frequently and at the airport have to pay USD$25 (approx 750baht) for each entry. Sometimes I fly in 2 or 3 times a week and each time the fee has to be paid.

There is also a cash airport tax to be paid at the check in counter for leaving Indonesia.

The biggest issue for me isn't the amount but the inconvenience of another queue and more paperwork!

Daniel5 said:

Not one country charges a fee to arriving tourists for health care.

Thailand will become the only one in the world if Yingluck's Health Minister gets his way.

------------

Then what do Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc, etc, etc, charge arrival fees for, if you know so much?

pretty sure the arrival fees do not entitle you to free or subsidised medical care

The proposed new fees to enter Siam do not buy one "medical care". Rather they are allegedly for the purpose of covering the 300 million B a year costs for foreigners who cannot or otherwise do not pay. And other expenses.

Don't like it? Don't cum. You think those other 3 countries offer better medical care?

I expect LOS will continue to recieve upwards of 20 million visitors a year, regardless. Other issues, whether political, natural, or scams & violence, did not hinder the ever increasing & record reported numbers of visitors to the Kingdom in the last decade.

As you correctly say, there are many aspects of residing in Thailand that are not nice, scams & violence etc, yet even though these seem to be increasing year on,year on, still the number of tourist coming to Thailand goes up. It seems Thailand is in an enviable position, there is no incentive for them to change things.

What people are taliking about here are visa fees that are collected on arrival. Many countries do have these fees but they are visa fees which Thailand already have. Quite hefty ones too. It will impact tourism a lot if fees rise from nearly $50 to nearly $70, other destinations will become preferable to many.

If this is passed and given the go ahead, it will be another nail in the coffin for Thailand, another greedy grab for who's pocket???? looks a bit strange to me re-coup for lost revenue is one thing, to collect 300,000 mil---and collecting 10 bil ??? do I smell a rat again ???

What people are taliking about here are visa fees that are collected on arrival. Many countries do have these fees but they are visa fees which Thailand already have. Quite hefty ones too. It will impact tourism a lot if fees rise from nearly $50 to nearly $70, other destinations will become preferable to many.

As a US citizen i've arrived in Thailand via air many times & never once thereafter handed over cash for a "visa fee" or any other arrival fee at the airport. Ditto for departures.

OTOH every time i've arrived at a Cambodian airport in PP i've been required to hand over cash for being allowed to stay for 30 days. This is the same amount of time i get into Thailand without paying a cent as per that above. In fact, BTW, a few years back Siam was even handing out free tourist visas allowing a stay of 60 days per entry. So with three entries it would be 180 days, beam me in, scottie free.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I travel to Indonesia frequently and at the airport have to pay USD$25 (approx 750baht) for each entry. Sometimes I fly in 2 or 3 times a week and each time the fee has to be paid.

There is also a cash airport tax to be paid at the check in counter for leaving Indonesia.

The biggest issue for me isn't the amount but the inconvenience of another queue and more paperwork!

why dont you get yourself a proper multi entry visa then ?

As a US citizen i've arrived in Thailand via air many times & never once thereafter handed over cash for a "visa fee" or any other arrival fee at the airport. Ditto for departures.

OTOH every time i've arrived at a Cambodian airport in PP i've been required to hand over cash for being allowed to stay for 30 days. This is the same amount of time i get into Thailand without paying a cent as per that above. In fact, BTW, a few years back Siam was even handing out free tourist visas allowing a stay of 60 days per entry. So with three entries it would be 180 days, beem me in, scottie free.

The departure fee is included in your airline charges...read the taxes section.

You are entering on a 30 day visa exempt entry. If you enter on a normal visa there is a fee.

having just signed up for cover[2,200bht] at certain goverment hospitals and with this being proposed almost the same time makes me very sceptic of the whole shebang.

as has been pointed out in the threads discussing the cover your talking about, the cover you have paid for was not intended for resident western farangs, but for regional migrants...ie people from Cambodia, Laos, Burma etc, so although at the moment hospitals are signing up farangs, in review at some point the goverment may do a U turn on this, as you cover is not honoured.

In the posts discussing this 3 line items/schemes were listed.

1. A regional migrant scheme (the one you signed up for)

2 Tourist's/short term visitors scheme

3. Resident foreigners scheme

It seems the 1st scheme is being put in place

the tourist scheme could in fact be exactly what is being discussed here ie the THB 500 "fee"

One suspects the THB 500 fee being discussed here based on the number of tourist could easily subsidise the other two schemes

Well yes, and they in their own stupidity wrote the rule in their ignorance and of course, it's hard to write a law that differentiates between Asian foreigners and farangs.

Diddums to them. If a Burmese labourer can get treatment by entering for a nominal fee every year, why can't a retired foreigner contributing hundreds times more economically to Thailand?

Ah but of course, farangs are just there to be exploited and not catered for.

If there is a clarification issued on the the new system, all they would need to do is say this scheme is applicable to Asean nationals or even list the regional countries it applies to, its would be no different to some of the laws issued in the EU, ie you can do this "this" if your an EU passport holder....so written this way its not discriminating against Asian foreigners and farangs

I guess the rational applied to the Burmese labourer vs farang thing, is that typically a burmese labourer hasnt got sh*t, and is cheap labour while typically the farang who has moved to Thailand has money

Of course in this instance a farang can ensure they are not exploited by the Thai goverment, by simply getting their own medical insurance

But curious to understand why you think farangs should be catered for in a subsidised scheme ?....The average farang has made a decision to move to Thailand, bought plane tickets, maybe bought a condo, even a vehicle etc but yet they neglect to arrange suitable medical insurance in a country in which they have no recourse to free/subsidised medical care by virture of the fact they not PR or citizens of that country.

To me it makes complete sense that in some point in your life one may need very expensive medical treatment, either due to illness or accident, so why wouldnt one be prepared for this if you cant be treated for "free" ie the NHS or similar.

As I have stated previously my position on this is very simple, instead of getting involved in the "nuts & bolts" of this Thai goverment should just issue the instruction that all foreigners in Thailand require medical insurance, how one gets its and the coverage is up to the individual

I think their bigger issue is to get retired foreigners into the system. Tourists have access to travel insurance which many retirees don't. 300 mn for holiday makers is peanuts, but long term treatment for retirees is a much bigger issue.

As I said, if a Burmese can enter, why can't a farang? Do you think the Burmese contribution covers the cost if the Burmese gets cancer, not even close.

But it's allowed to happen because Thai companies want Burmese labour. The real cost is much higher. So why can't a retired farang enter the system.

Typical exploitative logic from Thailand.

• Like 2

OTOH every time i've arrived at a Cambodian airport in PP i've been required to hand over cash for being allowed to stay for 30 days. This is the same amount of time i get into Thailand without paying a cent as per that above. In fact, BTW, a few years back Siam was even handing out free tourist visas allowing a stay of 60 days per entry. So with three entries it would be 180 days, beem me in, scottie free.

The departure fee is included in your airline charges...read the taxes section.

You are entering on a 30 day visa exempt entry. If you enter on a normal visa there is a fee.

I spoke of handing over cash at the airport on arrival, not airline charges...read the above.

Many countries have "fees".

Thai want Burmese because they work harder cause they are made to-and the other bonus is the Burmese are paid far less---like it or lump it Thai says.

I am sorry if some posts are missing, as I tried the NORM to post, after being told I had posted too Bla Bla Bla

Edited by ginjag

[quote name="ginjag" post="6942876" timestamp="13822517

Thai want Burmese because they work harder cause they are made to-and the other bonus is the Burmese are paid far less---like it or lump it Thai says.

You think that's the reason, or is it because they are cheaper and at the very beginning the companies had to make zero social insurance contribution?

Then a few issues happened and a law was written to give health cover. Foreigners such as Burmese can enter the system for a nominal fee per month.

So why can't all uninsured foreigners enter for this fee? What is so special about Cambodians or Burmese?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I somehow think that doesn't entitle you to any medical coverage. It's probably used to cover the costs of running the airports.

You think that's the reason, or is it because they are cheaper and at the very beginning the companies had to make zero social insurance contribution?

Then a few issues happened and a law was written to give health cover. Foreigners such as Burmese can enter the system for a nominal fee per month.

So why can't all uninsured foreigners enter for this fee? What is so special about Cambodians or Burmese?

Off topic a bit, It all boils down to greed, --companies get away with abuse physical punishment, long work hours recording only percent of workers to avoid tax--endless reasons. Unions - Local government checks- sleeping /general living conditions, sufficient food - as I did state they are paid far less. ( They have to take Burmese workers--as no Thais are UNEMPLOYED--Ha Ha.

I think their bigger issue is to get retired foreigners into the system.

but this begs this question, why should they give subsidised medical care, (in the new system, paying THB 2000 odd/yr is most certainly subsidised) to retired foreigners who are neither PR or Citizens of Thailand ?

I would be curious to know if there are any countries where someone can legimately retire, ie get a proper retirement visa, and as part of the deal they get access to subsidised medical care in their chosen country ?...my bet if there is it will be not many, if any,..lets face very few countries even offer retirement visa's any more.

In my opinion, if someone can afford to buy the plane ticket, buy the condo and even buy the car when coming to Thailand, they should also be buying their own medical cover.

That's incorrect. Only a very limited number of countries EVER offered retirement visas. If anything, the concept is expanding somewhat, especially in Latin America. Also incorrect that there are no countries that offer access to retired expats into their nationalized health care systems via a PAY IN basis. Without going into detail, I would say most retirement visa offering countries don't, but some do. The word subsidized is loaded if you are paying in. In that case, it is like insurance where there are always winners and losers any given year.

Another way some people retire abroad is by claiming actual residency, such as non-Italians with some family connection to Italy moving there. In cases like that, of course they probably enter in the health care system of that country when they have one.

Edited by Jingthing

Also incorrect that there are no countries that offer access to retired expats into their nationalized health care systems via a PAY IN basis.

OK fair enough, but are they allowing them to buy at circa US$ 60/yr ?....one thinks not...BTW I mention $60/yr as this is price people have managed to get the Thai "migrant worker" insurance for.

One suspects even in a buy in scheme the amount is going to be signficantly higher in the case of a retiree, as typically at retirement age and beyond is the time when the very expensive medical treatment starts to be needed..ie heart attacks/strokes etc..

Yes I think the fee should be higher. We'll see. Early days on this.

BTW, as a point of reference I just found out the pay in cost for retired expats in Mexico into their national health care system is between 100 to 350 U.S. dollars ANNUALLY, age dependent. Yes, still not so much money considering.

Edited by Jingthing

Off topic a bit, It all boils down to greed, --companies get away with abuse physical punishment, long work hours recording only percent of workers to avoid tax--endless reasons. Unions - Local government checks- sleeping /general living conditions, sufficient food - as I did state they are paid far less. ( They have to take Burmese workers--as no Thais are UNEMPLOYED--Ha Ha.

Exactly. It's not about providing a real health service. It's about providing as little as possible whilst charging what they can get away with.

They can get away with gouging Burmese for x. They would like to gouge foreigners for 100x.

But the law is written now. Oh dear, what to do?

Yes I think the fee should be higher. We'll see. Early days on this.

BTW, as a point of reference I just found out the pay in cost for retired expats in Mexico into their national health care system is between 100 to 350 U.S. dollars ANNUALLY, age dependent. Yes, still not so much money considering.

Perfectly logical system.

• Like 1

But the law is written now. Oh dear, what to do?

Easy...change the "law" again or at the very least issue a "legal" clarification and invalidate any insurance already issued to non-migrant workers, "Please Khun Farang we solly, we make mistake, come back hosptial we give for you money back, big boss say kanot"...

or

"Please kuhn Farang, we solly, we make mistake, big boss say kanot, but we spend money for you already so no have, but tank you for all Somtam you buy for office, velly good, al loy maak maak"

wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

In fact the UK is currently introducing entry fees on a trial basis with a few countries most known for travellers as "medical tourists" using the NHS (national health service). Later the UK gov hope to make the charges standard for all regardless of any other insurances. Am thinking the scheme could backfire! Any thoughts?

Indeed the fee is now included in the ticket, although Thailand was the last major tourist destination to introduce that arrangement and persisted with the airport payment booths for more than a decade after everyone else had gone to the inclusive system. Jet star Asia lists all govt and airport taxes/fees on its ticketing site.....flying out of BKK costs close to 1700 in fees alone. Presumably this medical fee will be additional

This is just another tourist tax to fill their pockets.

When on holiday in Thailand for less than 90 days, I am covered by:

1) the Belgian sick insurance

2) an international travel insurance from AXA, which is an extension of my car insurance.

I really don't see why I should pay 500 baht for something I don't need.

A few years ago, everybody had to pay 500 baht "airport tax" when leaving Thailand. I believe this tax is now included in the ticket price.

Take it easy guys!!coffee1.gif

Tomorrow it will be all forgotten, just the stupid idea of the day!!w00t.gif

On the other hand of course we would love to pay an entrance fee to Disneyland, so we can be cheated, doublepriced and scamed in general. NOT w00t.gif

We. Pay an exit of 500 after being cheated and scammed why not pay it twice bas. .....ds.

what has foreign tourists got to do with the Health ministry?

If everyone paid their taxes including Thais! then that should be enough. Again and again just feel victimzed with these ever changing laws.

Looks like there are some foreigner hating people in the health ministry that want to blame forangs on all their personal problems.

Tourists already pay tax when they come. on air tickets. on hotels, on public transport, taxis ( if they put their meters on )

I would be all for a standard fee for entering the country as long is it put away with visa runs and not a silly fee that is so expensive that it puts people off coming all together

most of the incoe that already comes into the economy from forangs are forang toursist. the problem with tourists is that you can charge them what you like but becuase they are only coming for a short while and they have no ties to this country it is just as easy to go somewhere else.

i suspect there shall be more stupid laws to come yet. like this tow truck law in Bangkok can't belong till the thais have ahd enough.

plus allot of sourthern Thais have business pased around forangs so i cant imiagine they shall be happy.

If i did not know better someone wants to borrow a huge chunk of money from the world bank and wants forangs to pay the debt off while these same people fly around in private jets.

Edited by BigC

what has foreign tourists got to do with the Health ministry?

If everyone paid their taxes including Thais! then that should be enough. Again and again just feel victimzed with these ever changing laws.

Looks like there are some foreigner hating people in the health ministry that want to blame forangs on all their personal problems.

Tourists already pay tax when they come. on air tickets. on hotels, on public transport, taxis ( if they put their meters on )

I would be all for a standard fee for entering the country as long is it put away with visa runs and not a silly fee that is so expensive that it puts people off coming all together

most of the incoe that already comes into the economy from forangs are forang toursist. the problem with tourists is that you can charge them what you like but becuase they are only coming for a short while and they have no ties to this country it is just as easy to go somewhere else.

i suspect there shall be more stupid laws to come yet. like this tow truck law in Bangkok can't belong till the thais have ahd enough.

plus allot of sourthern Thais have business pased around forangs so i cant imiagine they shall be happy.

If i did not know better someone wants to borrow a huge chunk of money from the world bank and wants forangs to pay the debt off while these same people fly around in private jets.

i can agree with big c scew all foreigners who want to come here and help the economy.thats all we have heard about how much foreign tourists are costing the medical service.

well for a country that cant put their own house in order thats a bit ripe.

for a start how many vehicles on the roads,how many dont have any insurance,how many only have gov.ins.645bht a yr.dont these put a massive burden on hospitals,ah but their thai's they can do what they like.dont mention corruption.what is corruption? the evil disease that is rife here and they cant put the blame on foreigners.so i have paid my 2200bht so can i pass go.

Why must I suffer for some miscreant or someone else's incompetence? Why should I pay for this?

In that respect, your correct, that is why a THB 500 surcharge is such a bad idea, all the goverment should do in this instance is require people visiting and living in Thailand who are not PR or citizens to have adqeuate medical insurance prior to visiting or living here, if not you dont get in the door...the failing in this proposed scheme is that the goverment is faciltiating/providing the "insurance" they should stay out of it of this aspect of it.....but proposing this scheme somebody in goverment has obviously seen dollar signs and the possiblity of an "income stream" from it.

The only action needed from the goverment is to impose the requirement of medical insurance thats all, how someone gets insured is the problem of the indvidual.

It's a bad idea because this:

Hospitals could just ask for payment up front before any treatment. The reason they are not getting paid is because they don't do that. They give treatment first and later ask for payment. Welcome to the business world, sometimes your customers don't pay you when you give services out before payment. Why do gas stations ask for payment up front?

So what would change once this idea begins? Nothing. Hospitals would continue to do the same thing, probably more people won't pay them because they feel like they've already paid for it with their 500baht.

Soutpeel, maybe you want to blame farangs for all the problems in thailand, but this one is the thai hospital's own making. They could just demand payment up front like what happens in every other country.

From my own experience (in the USA) insurance is vastly overpriced and only rewards the insurance company and the really really sick. Often the price for treatment without insurance is the same as the out of pocket costs with insurance

Edited by Time Traveller

Indeed the fee is now included in the ticket, although Thailand was the last major tourist destination to introduce that arrangement and persisted with the airport payment booths for more than a decade after everyone else had gone to the inclusive system. Jet star Asia lists all govt and airport taxes/fees on its ticketing site.....flying out of BKK costs close to 1700 in fees alone. Presumably this medical fee will be additional

This is just another tourist tax to fill their pockets.

When on holiday in Thailand for less than 90 days, I am covered by:

1) the Belgian sick insurance

2) an international travel insurance from AXA, which is an extension of my car insurance.

I really don't see why I should pay 500 baht for something I don't need.

A few years ago, everybody had to pay 500 baht "airport tax" when leaving Thailand. I believe this tax is now included in the ticket price.

Indonesia, Denpasar, you still pay cash on exit, 150,000 Rupiah (about 425 Baht)