Chaeng Wattanna Overdose

90 day reporting may not be a big deal for some but for others it is a major trip at an age where such travel may not be easy or a hope and prayer that the mail gets through and is accepted and returned OK. It is not something that should logically be required and ties up immigration officers from more important duties in my view. That we have to do it fine - that this requires we like or make excuses for it is not logical. I believe it is a dinosaur of a regulation and expect a great many immigration officers agree.

90 day reporting may not be a big deal for some but for others it is a major trip at an age where such travel may not be easy or a hope and prayer that the mail gets through and is accepted and returned OK. It is not something that should logically be required and ties up immigration officers from more important duties in my view. That we have to do it fine - that this requires we like or make excuses for it is not logical. I believe it is a dinosaur of a regulation and expect a great many immigration officers agree.

I have not noticed anyone supporting the 9o day reporting requirement . As things stand the law requires it be done.

Many ways of achieving this and there is no need for the elderly/infirm to undertake unnecessary travel.

To suggest otherwise is scaremongering.

I believe it is a dinosaur of a regulation and expect a great many immigration officers agree.

Yes and I think the proof of that is even if you lived in Thailand as a foreigner for your whole life, simply by leaving the country every 90 days no reporting is required.

The tiny address box on the TM6 arrival card is not a substitute either. I've always just scribbled something illegible there and no immigration officer has even seemed to notice much less care.

The only way it can be eliminated is for Parliament to change the outdated immigration act of 1979 that requires it. Ninety day reports is not the only thing that needs to be changed. They could change the length of extensions, visas and the requirements for permanent residency at the same time plus many other things that are outdated.

There are only a few visas and extensions that are written in the act. Meaning that those done by ministerial regulations could be eliminated at a whim by the government of the day. These include those for marriage or retirement. Even visa exempt entries could be eliminated.

Yes bless them.

She also helps with our extensions of stay based upon having her as my wife also. I just let her take charge and handle it other than than putting the paperwork together.

Bless them for sure.

Would be nice to have more security of stay though. I always leave CW with a big sigh of relief after my annual extension.

I work in Iraq and am eligible for an Iraqi passport. Don't think I want one, but much more welcoming than Thailand.

As someone who has been here for years on a retirement extension (as stated - we're not eligible for PR), I too have been faithfully doing my 90 day reports myself since the regulation was re-activated. Being retired, its hardly an issue, and I've reported at numerous different Immogration offices over the years, rarely has it taken long than a few minutes. I can't see why any retiree would be upset by doing the reports; we're not allowed to work and its once every 90 days. Not exactly a hardship. If its really too much hassle, it can be done by post in many cases, or you can employ a messenger, or ask a friend to do it.

30 years, 4 times per year, that's 120 days of your life taken from you, which is 3 months, if I was old I would not like to have that time taken away from me.

Last Friday it took 2 and a half hours for anyone waiting in queue for 90 days report, add 4 hours travel to get there and back, it's a day.

It does eat up time + going to the the embassy the day beforehand for the paperwork (at cost + taxis)

It does eat up time + going to the the embassy the day beforehand for the paperwork (at cost + taxis)

What paperwork do you need for a 90 day report? A Tm form takes 30 seconds to fill out and I've never needed any embassy (or other) paperwork for a 90 day...

What paperwork do you need for a 90 day report? A Tm form takes 30 seconds to fill out and I've never needed any embassy (or other) paperwork for a 90 day...

30 seconds to fill out and 3 hours to queue ...

Three hours to queue for a 90 day report- Even in the worst days of Suanplu I don't think I ever waited that long for a 90 day report. But, to be fair, I don't use Chaengwattana so I've no idea what its like there.

Indeed quite correct,

I had to do do my extension and then 90 day report in close order.

Still a pain though in this day and age.

I was in Chaeng Wattana last Friday.

It took 2.5 h queue for 90 days report and 3h queue for extension of visa.

Interview 10 min

Processing took another 45 minutes.

Total : 4H

And every time I come in and ask for both queue tickets (90days+visa extension) the lady asks me kindly to only take one and come once I finished for the second one.

Sooooooooo glad I don't listen to her and insist she gives me both tickets right now .....that would mean adding time of both queue

: 2.5h for 90 days report

+ 3h for visa extension

+10 min interview

+ 45 min processing of visa

= 6 hours is what you should wait if you listen to immigration officer

A breeze :)

I have never had more than an hour or so wait at Chiang Watanna for anything so not sure what the issue was for poster above (although likely one hour of his wait was lunch time?). I did 90 day report last week and with 26 people ahead of me only took 20 minutes in queue. Chiang Watanna is light years ahead of the old Suan Phlu. But I do recommend arriving at or near opening time for shortest waits. But the facilities are so much better there waiting is not that much of an issue. Even with an arrival at 1145 for extension of stay was out before 1330 (after the one hour lunch break).

No no specific issue.

Arrived 1.45 pm after lunch, I traveled from South West Bangkok (2 hours) so I did not have lunch

- Ignored the lady who wants make me wait double and took my 2 tickets together.

- had number 313 for 90 days report :over a hundred people before me, I think the number was about 180-190

- Got number 202 for extension of visa: again over 100 people before me 70 or 80 was the number called.

- Got seen around 4.15 pm for 90 days ie 2.5 hours wait (only took 5-10 minutes to process) and my queue number was up around 6.15pm for visa extension ie 3.5 h wait (again 10 minutes interview )

Left the place at 6.30 pm

So I spend the all afternoon to be seen 20 minutes all together

Edited by Kitsune

OK that was probably the worst timing - Friday believe is normally high traffic (as with Monday) and after a holiday and in afternoon 45 minutes after second opening queue you would end up among the last of the day I suspect. At least you were not told to come back tomorrow as some offices seem to do. Seems the queue was slower than when I visited last week when three positions were processing 90 days at about one per minute. But expect that slows down a lot when you get a few late reporting as takes one officer out of the processing until resolved and there may be fewer officers working just before weekend if the normal Bangkok rush hour traffic is to be believed (starts several hours early on Friday).

So

- no after or before a bank holiday

- no Mondays

- No Fridays

- no afternoons 45 minutes after opening so no 2pm

- I can safely add no 10 am (because you wait until lunch and have to stay one extra hour at least).

Wow !

Actually I have done will after 10AM and made exit prior to lunchtime for 90 day reporting. Depending on time of year you may even make it for a one year extension of stay. Although my last one arrived at 1145 so not much chance - but was only about 30 minutes after the lunch hour break and took care of banking business during that time.

So

- no Mondays

- No Fridays

- I can safely add no 10 am (because you wait until lunch and have to stay one extra hour at least).

Wow !

Yeah, it's not too hard to remember...

Be there at the opening bell (not that there's a bell, more like Somchai the Customs Guy making a bit of noise) and you'll be fine... The longest waiting time will be the part where you wait in line to get inside...

So

- no Mondays

- No Fridays

Wow !

Yeah, it's not too hard to remember...

Be there at the opening bell (not that there's a bell, more like Somchai the Customs Guy making a bit of noise) and you'll be fine... The longest waiting time will be the part where you wait in line to get inside...

Thanks .... It's not the remembering part, it's the trying to fit that in your schedule added to the 4 to 6 hours of travelling there and back , my actual visa stamp and the school schedule to deliver the papers !