Thai village chiefs and headmen assigned to send and receive mail

webfact

Village chiefs and headmen assigned to send and receive mail

PNDAT561018001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 October 2013 (NNT) - Thailand Post has publicly has apologized for delays in its mail delivery services, caused by heavy rains in the past couple of days.

According to Mr. Kalong Subsaart, Senior Executive Vice President of Regional Operations of Thailand Post, recipients of registered mail and EMS deliveries would be notified via telephone of delivery arrivals. As for the countryside, letters and packages would be sent to village centers such as residences of village chiefs and/or headmen, which served as rendezvous points, and delivered to their rightful recipients later on.

The country has been belted by heavy storms and downpour in the past couple days, resulting in delays of mail deliveries, particularly express mail (EMS), which is supposed to be delivered within the 24 hours.

Mr. Kalong, however, affirmed that the post office is doing everything in its power to expedite the mail delivery service. Employees are currently working overtime in order to prevent any mail being left behind.

In addition, Mr. Kalong reassured the public that the company has more than 10,000 postmen, each of whom delivers 500 pieces of mails per day, on its payroll. He again apologized for inconveniences and delays that have occurred.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-18 footer_n.gif

I live in Hua Hin, if I want mail, have to get it myself at the post office. I wonder often how they manage to find anything in the upper room of this office. And this was 3 months before the floods..... If I need mail , that is really important.... the only thing I can do is to have it special delivered and pray to God for an arrival !!!

Thailand Post cheesy.gif

I have used EMS for years in Bangkok and I rate the service number one!....NEVER have I had damage or delay and I am talking 100's of items, if there is one thing that works effectively here in Thailand it's certainly the EMS service. I can only speak about the Bangkok area though...

• Like 2

ii

I have used EMS for years in Bangkok and I rate the service number one!....NEVER have I had damage or delay and I am talking 100's of items, if there is one thing that works effectively here in Thailand it's certainly the EMS service. I can only speak about the Bangkok area though...

That's the problem. Everything works fine in Bangkok, but once you get into the countryside it all seems to collapse. Our mail service in the last few months has deteriorated no end (we are about 35km S. of Chiang Mai) Letters can take up to 2 weeks to arrive from BKK, if they arrive at all.

ii

That's the problem. Everything works fine in Bangkok, but once you get into the countryside it all seems to collapse. Our mail service in the last few months has deteriorated no end (we are about 35km S. of Chiang Mai) Letters can take up to 2 weeks to arrive from BKK, if they arrive at all.

The pleasures of living away from BKK, for those pleasures you sacrifice things too.

Here post is perfect, all my packages arrive signed for or not. It always works. I would not mind living far away but then no good internet not too many good stores, internet that is limited ect ect.

I am living a bit outside of BKK so also outside (if not too far) still good.

ii

Yep, when I lived in the back of the back of beyond, rather than my current location of just the back of beyond, I had two options, wait until at least five other pieces of mail needed to be delivered to my village, or go to the main post office myself.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Thai postal system is first rate but I would not trust my local village clown with my mail for a New York second.

• Like 1

I cannot speak highly enough about the postal service in our area served from the post office in Ban Thasak.It is a totally different story with our other place in Klong Luang.I had five letters from Australia that were never delivered and one time actually witnessed the delivery man sorting letters and putting some in an inside pocket.When I brought this to the attention of the local postal depot they just said we have no record of your mail,bad luck.

ALL the mail in this village is delivered to 2 local shops and it is up to them to distribute, even EMS.

It is diabolical that the mail service accepts a delivery address, but leaves it at somewhere other than the address on the envelope or package.

A few years back, when I was staying in Pattaya, I had sent myself a number of packages via mail from upcountry. They refused to deliver because there were so many, so I had to go and collect them myself, despite paying for delivery to the address on each individual package. Oh and half the packages had looked like someone had been playing football with them.

My wife went to Khon Kaen a few weeks ago to order a new passport.

They mailed it a week later & it arrived OK. We found it poked into a space in our front gate. That's what you call security.

During the Immigration center we pay for normal post or register post I think price only different 30-40 thb

I live about 6km from the post office and pop in there a couple of times a week to see if there is any mail for me. If there is an EMS coming I ask whoever sent it for the tracking number.

The only piece of mail that regularly fails to arrive is my ToT internet bill. They of course blame the post office.

ToT has an ePay website and that has been down for nearly a month and I report the lack of my internet bill and the bad website to the call centre who tell me to go to the office to pay the bill.

65km each way and you want ME to paty the cost of transport.

Yeah right. In your dreams.

When we lived in Silom I was sent through Amazon a couple of CDs from the UK for christmas and the post office charged us 800 baht import tax!

Moved away down Sukhumvit and at new post office got charged 15 baht to import pair of shoes whereas previously at Silom 750 baht had been charged.

As above we never get sent our TOT internet bill until after about 3 months they threaten to cut us off

Very rarely receive TOT bills, occasionally Dtac bills (late) but always get stuff from UK - bank statements, investment literature. We're quite remote, 5 km or so from PO. Postman always friendly when he comes. So what's the deal with TOT bills? Either they don't send them or postman reckons it's not worth his while delivering as we'll pay the bill anyway....

We live in the countryside outside Cha-Am and most of our mail never gets delivered and simply disappears! The post office tell us that they give the mail to the village leader and are not responsible for what happens to it after that ! Even EMS is often not sent. Very frustrating. I guess the village leader just takes the money he is paid by the post office (I assume he gets paid for it ?) and then just chucks away the mail.