Root canal work?

sms747

After breaking a tooth dentist said I need a crown and must have root canal treatment first. When I said I have 2 crowns and 2 inlays before with no canal treatment she said I must have had, but I have not and had the last crown done at an upmarket dental centre in bkk. There is no abcess, no ache and no gum problems but sitting in the chair it was go ahead, have the tooth out or get up and leave. I decided to let her proceed but an wondering if it's really necessary as I never had it done before and seems expensive. She made a start so I guess it's too late to back out now, have to see the endontist next visit. This was at the Mahinol Uni dentist centre, usually very good and about half the price of up market places, but the treatment is somewhat impersonal.

Logic says: it's not possible to attach a crown to a tooth without first inserting a post, the post can't be inserted into the root canal if the nerve is still alive, ergo, either you had a root canal or you don't have a crown.

• Like 1

That's just what she said, but I know I never saw an endostist before in my life and the last one never invovled canal work as it did not cost enough to include it.

A simple xray of the tooth that you had crowned in BKK will tell if there's a post or not, if there is a post then you had a root canal, if there's no post then you don't really have a crown.

• Like 1

"if it's really necessary as I never had it done before and seems expensive"

A few years ago I was told the same thing by a dentist, regarding crowns, at the time never got them done..fast forward a few years and in the interim had become good friends with a dental surgeon and she offered to do my crowns and veneers, I told her what I had been told by the previous dentist, and didnt fancy all the root canal work, she looked at the x-rays and said why do you need root canals ?, there is no need to in your case, yes there are clinical reasons to do root canals, but not in your case, sometimes dentists will tell you this to get more money out of you..

Logic says: it's not possible to attach a crown to a tooth without first inserting a post, the post can't be inserted into the root canal if the nerve is still alive, ergo, either you had a root canal or you don't have a crown.

Well you had better tell my dentist she is doing it wrong them, I most certainly have crowns and most certainly didnt have posts inserted...

I think the crowns I had done with no canal work and no posts were all pretty large back teeth, this one is smaller and split in half so that's probably why it's needed with a post. I think they do sometimes try it on though. Several years ago I was told by the dental hospital off suk, 49? that I needed root canal work and crowns on all 4 wisdom teeth, but my dentist at home said no need and the teeth are still OK.

Another thing about crowns is that they come in various grades, base metal then semi precious gold in various amounts, the more gold on the insert the higher the cost, last one I had was 50%. The gold is meant to be better at stopping bacterial infection, in theory at least.

Of course a crown can be placed on a tooth without a root canal/post if there's enough good tooth structure available to support it. If not, or if there're problems with the root, then a root canal/buildup is necessary first.

That said, I've also had a dentist or two who I felt pushed me to a root canal in an iffy situation when maybe it wasn't absolutely needed. It's certainly not unknown for dentists to recommend procedures that aren't absolutely necessary. Google "unnecessary root canal."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4162797

Absolutely incorrect and illogical.....................If there is enough tooth left and the x-ray shows no problem then it's a case of preparation (grinding) impression - temp crown and then fitting of the real one.

Absolutely incorrect and illogical.....................If there is enough tooth left and the x-ray shows no problem then it's a case of preparation (grinding) impression - temp crown and then fitting of the real one.

Dude, we got the message and learned the lesson back in post number 5 already!

Edited by chiang mai

I am i Phom Penh Cambodia and got a quote for two crowns for ba ck teeth.Apparently no need for root canal and no post price quote 200 us each .

Roomchang.com is website in PP they have people who recommend them Does this sound like a good price ?

They have good exray equip does 360 exray pics .However he told me a tooth that i had got a crown with root canal and post put in had infection in it a nd should be redone ! SHIT!!!! Released the exray photos sent to my email , so i dont think he is trying to dupe me ..... I am trying to send to a recently retired orthadontist to see if he can give more thouvhts on this ...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Wimbledon

I paid 8k bahts for a crown in ceramic, steel plus ceramic outside, in thailand last month.

Ceramic Mollar.

Around 250$

my tooth was already root treated years ago and recently the amalgam broke with another piece of tooth resulting 1/4 of tooth remained on his root.

The best way was implant or crown.

So far I m happy. But you need to get these mini brushes to clean between tooth. Floss is not large enough.

• 2 weeks later...