Transferring Funds Without an OTP

I've regularly had difficulties transferring funds between Thai banks when I'm out of Thailand. My Bangkok Bank account seems to require a OTP to accomplish anything.

But my cellphone works only in Thailand. It does not work in Canada, where I spend the summer and from where I need to make that transfer.

Anyone know of a way around that OTP system?

• Like 1

Get a tri or quad band phone and get roaming from your Thai carrier.

I have never found a way around the OTP requirement that most banks here in Thailand have started using. Bangkok Bank was the first and now SCB even requires it to top up my DTAC phone account .

At one time Kasikorn did use email but since I closed that account I can't say what their policy is now

Do what a friend of mine does who lives in Canada 6 months out of the year. He leaves his phone here with his wife or GF or friend or family member of wife. He then goes online with Skype before he attempts the transaction that prompts an OTP. When they get the OTP on his phone they read it off to him.

• Like 1

IF YOU CHECK ON YOUR I/NET ACC' TO BANGKOK BANK I AM SURE YOU CAN CANCEL THE ONE TIME PASSWORD. IT IS THERE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT PROTECTION, SO LOOK AT YOUR BANKS SECURITY SECTION ON YOUR OWN ACCOUNT. if you go to the acc' open your account settings (My settings) you will find SMS OTP AUTHENTICATION SETTINGS. this should solve your problem.

goodluck!

• Like 2

The OTP system is excellent.

When out of the country I just keep my Thai sim card in a spare phone and switch it on if needed.

Yes, you have a good system and someone wants to circumvent it!

My Thai phone manages to go onto the UK network and roaming is enabled.

But my Bangkok Bank acct allows me to use internet banking and transfer money to the wife's account without a OTP.

Once set up as recipients it seems straight forward.... A little forward planning.

• Like 1

Get a tri or quad band phone and get roaming from your Thai carrier.

I have never found a way around the OTP requirement that most banks here in Thailand have started using. Bangkok Bank was the first and now SCB even requires it to top up my DTAC phone account .

At one time Kasikorn did use email but since I closed that account I can't say what their policy is now

I have a similar problem. When I have a need to get a OTP from the UK to Thailand quite often it does not arrive. Have soemtimes experienced this problem locally.

There are nothing you can do about, unless you go to your bank and ask for an account update, and be sure to test the update in front of the bank clerk. I have an account with UOB and the first attempt they told me that the update was done but I still being asked to OTP. Then my solution was easy as pee, I change my number to the number of my brother in law, and now when I need to transfer funds to the account I call him first and we do it together, the bank send the OTP to my brother's in law mobile and he give me the code.

Better way for sure! Most bank clerk has no idea how to operate the system they work. Sad but true!

Kasikorn use the OTP via SMS and it takes about 20 minutes for me to receive from AIS/Cellcom in Israel, shame the OTP is only good for about 10 minutes. Krungsri definitely has the option for OTP by email and is becoming my preferred bank because of this.

Cheers

Do what a friend of mine does who lives in Canada 6 months out of the year. He leaves his phone here with his wife or GF or friend or family member of wife. He then goes online with Skype before he attempts the transaction that prompts an OTP. When they get the OTP on his phone they read it off to him.

Interesting concept.Use the girlfriend as a backup for wife.

The OTP system is excellent.

When out of the country I just keep my Thai sim card in a spare phone and switch it on if needed.

Yes, you have a good system and someone wants to circumvent it!

My Thai phone manages to go onto the UK network and roaming is enabled.

But my Bangkok Bank acct allows me to use internet banking and transfer money to the wife's account without a OTP.

Once set up as recipients it seems straight forward.... A little forward planning.

Yes,very easy.Just add somebody as a 3rd party within same bank.

There are nothing you can do about, unless you go to your bank and ask for an account update, and be sure to test the update in front of the bank clerk. I have an account with UOB and the first attempt they told me that the update was done but I still being asked to OTP. Then my solution was easy as pee, I change my number to the number of my brother in law, and now when I need to transfer funds to the account I call him first and we do it together, the bank send the OTP to my brother's in law mobile and he give me the code.

Better way for sure! Most bank clerk has no idea how to operate the system they work. Sad but true!

Not sad,not true.You and your bank maybe.VIP treatment at my bank,manager always comes out of her office to offer help,not required most of the time ,but the offer is there.

IF YOU CHECK ON YOUR I/NET ACC' TO BANGKOK BANK I AM SURE YOU CAN CANCEL THE ONE TIME PASSWORD. IT IS THERE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT PROTECTION, SO LOOK AT YOUR BANKS SECURITY SECTION ON YOUR OWN ACCOUNT. if you go to the acc' open your account settings (My settings) you will find SMS OTP AUTHENTICATION SETTINGS. this should solve your problem.

goodluck!

I figure above info was bogus...went to my Bangkok Bank internet banking as described above and sure enough you can either place the SMS authentication process in "Hold" status that allows you to easily reactivate it later...or you can "Block" the SMS authentication process which does not allow you to reactivate the service via your ibanking but instead you would need to call Bangkok Bank to reactivate the SMS authentication service.

post-55970-0-61517700-1382278739_thumb.j

goodluck!

I figure above info was bogus...went to my Bangkok Bank internet banking as described above and sure enough you can either place the SMS authentication process in "Hold" status that allows you to easily reactivate it later...or you can "Block" the SMS authentication process which does not allow you to reactivate the service via your ibanking but instead you would need to call Bangkok Bank to reactivate the SMS authentication service.  

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

But can you still use services that require otp authentication?

"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app

goodluck!

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif Capture.JPG

But can you still use services that require otp authentication?

"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app

No, you can't.

The OTP is indeed required for some things...it's required when setting up a new 3d Party Transfer Account and on the first transfer...but after setup and the first transfer (i.e., 2nd, 3d, etc., transfers to that account) the OTP is no longer sent/required. Link.

You also need a OTP password to "add" a new payee for Bill Payment, but after adding the payee you don't need the OTP to make the payments

I expect there are other things that may need a OTP via SMS. But if a person just needed to do 3d party transfers or bill payments "and already had the accounts setup" then a OTP is not required.

PIB I have noticed at SCB at least, that if I have not used a particular vendor or transferred to a previously set up account in a while they will require a new OTP

This will also occur if you access the web site from a computer that is not recognized by SCB.

Happened to me this summer in the US when I wanted to top up my DTAC SIM. The top up details at SCB are now saved so that you don't have to input your DTAC number to add funds to the account and even with this new system they wanted an OTP