Fresh derailment stalks Thai govt railway exhibit

webfact

Fresh Derailment Stalks Govt Railway Exhibit
By Khaosod Online

train.jpg
Image source: Khaosod

BANGKOK: -- Another train derailment in Nakhon Ratchasima province has disrupted the Northeastern rail service just as a number of Cabinet members are converging in a nearby province to promote the plan to construct the high-speed railway across the country.

The train, which ran from Bangkok toward Nong Khai province, derailed in Non Sung district, causing the entire Northeastern region rail to halt their services.

No injury or death has been reported. Nevertheless, the incident - merely the latest in the long series of derailments this year - could pose doubts about the safety of the government′s future investments in the kingdom′s railway.

Transport Minister, Mr. Chatchart Sittipan, who is in the neighbouring Ubon Ratchathani province to attend an exhibition touting the promised benefits of the planned high-speed rail service, wrote on his Facebook that "I feel lucky for not taking the train [here], because I just heard about yet another train derailment in Non Sung".

Mr. Chatchart took an interprovincial coach from Bangkok.

The “Thailand Future: 2020” showcase exhibition is being held at OTOP Centre in Mueang district, Ubon Ratchathani province, and has so far received much attention from local residents.

The exhibition is aimed to win the support for the government′s package of massive infrastructure overhaul, including the high-speed rail construction, which would cost the country 2.2 trillion baht.

Mr. Kittarat Na Ranong, Minister of Finance also joined Mr. Chatchart as the hosts of the exhibition. Both ministers were planned to give speeches on the topics of “Moving forward for Economy, Trade and Investment” and “Connecting Regions-Lives and the Integration for Urbanisation”, respectively.

At the showcase, a simulator train model is also available for event attendees to experience a slice of the planned high-speed project and has attracted many visitors, our correspondent said. Police expected that there will be at least 20,000 visitors a day, and urged officers to be on lookout for pickpockets thieves.

The event also featured many famous stars from Channel 7 including New Wongsakorn, Kelly Thanapat, Namwan Kanhaphon, and singers from R-Siam - Kratae and Kratai.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qRXdNelF3TkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-19

Bus crashes, train derailments seem a way of life here, sadly. Thankfully, I am being collected by family when I do return back to Thailand. I'd hate the thought of a long bus or rail journey seeing how many accidents there are.

• Like 1

SRT files police complaint over derailment
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has lodged a police complaint in relation to a derailment in Nakhon Ratchasima on Thursday night.

Several sections of a cargo train derailed as it approached a railroad switch. Nobody was hurt.

"We suspect that someone might have messed with the switch," SRT senior official Paisal Chaibanmai said yesterday.

Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said.

It took more than 12 hours to remove the derailed sections, but normal services had resumed as of press time.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-19

"Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said."

Relatively new ? Looks like 2 tracks made out of rust. I wonder what 20 year old track looks like. Well never mind, at least it looks like the professional repair team are at work.

• Like 2

There is little chance of this becoming a reality in the foreseeable future as it is simply a bridge too far with regard to the abilities and mentality of this country. It is designed to make out to those folk in the North and North East that this government is worth voting for.

A large red herring.

• Like 1

Another day another laugh in Amazing Thailand. Yet another derailment. Quote " could pose doubts about the safety of the government's future investments in the kingdom's railway ". Surely this should be the government guarantees future investment in the kingdom's railways to ensure no more derailments......

In the last three months or so, 3 planes have skidded off of runways, there have been train derailments almost on a fortnightly basis, and coach travel is just a nightmare with dozens of passengers injured in the last few weeks. I wonder if it is safe to travel on the countries mass transport system at all. Government's response, act like ostrich's and bury ones head deeper in the sand, after all, this nightmare scenario will all be over soon -- just like the floods which aren't officially recognised.

• Like 1

Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai rail service resumes

BANGKOK, 19 Oct 2013 (NNT) – Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai rail service has resumed after a train derailed on route to Non Sung district of Nakhon Ratchasima Province.

According to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), the nine cargo trucks of a derailed freight train blocking Korat-Nong Khai line have been cleared as the rail service has now resumed.

The SRT said the train was traveling back to Nakhon Ratchasima after it had delivered gravel to Nong Khai Province. Nine empty carriages ran off the track while reaching Non Sung station. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

The derailment was caused by technical errors as the rail track in that area was under maintenance. The railway workers took approximately 12 hours to clear the nine derailed carriages.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-19 footer_n.gif

"Non Sung Police Station superintendent Colonel Pissanu Wattu said the track where the incident happened was relatively new. "It has been in service for less than a year," he said."

Relatively new ? Looks like 2 tracks made out of rust. I wonder what 20 year old track looks like. Well never mind, at least it looks like the professional repair team are at work.

You have obviously never been around railways long enough to understand that all steel track gets surface rust, What you see in the picture is new (rust coated) rail being laid on concrete ties and the guy with the yellow bar is setting the gauge. 20 year old track is rusted with a shiny surface where the wheels contact. No traffic, everything gets rusty.

What is not surprising is that the scene resembles a family gathering with kids and onlookers right at the work area with flip flops, there appear to be only 3 workers reasonably attired for this kind of work.. Perhaps that is the charming part of Thailand that will vanish when they enter the 20th century with their fast trains.

• Like 2

My old Lionel toy train had better tracks then Thailand's railroad system. I would rather ride in a van before the train. ( Oh maybe not ) Maybe Thailand can buy china's old used tracks

You may be surprised to learn that I don't have a preference as to which way you die.

We all know that Thailand dreams of a high speed railway system are complete insanity. I believe I know the origins of

these dreams by the power elite here in Thailand. In China, the guy who was in charge of their high speed rail system was able

to siphon off a billion dollars in corruption money into his pocket. So to the greedy power elite here, this guy must be some kind of hero

that they wish to emulate !!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifSo here is what we can look forward to here in Thailand once they get this feeding trough

properly filled up with cash... Besides I am not sure who will be riding these trains. It will be too expensive for poor people, and rich

people with a strong desire to keep living will certainly not step foot on it.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Zhijun

"As Railway Minister, Liu oversaw numerous expansions of China's railway system, most notably the rapid development of China's high-speed railway. He was a figure of national praise until February 2011, when he was arrested and expelled from the Party over allegations of corruption. After the Wenzhou train collision in July 2011, in which forty people died and one hundred and ninety-two people were injured, a government report singled out his leadership as one of the main contributors to the crash and he was publicly criticized."

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Bus crashes, train derailments seem a way of life here, sadly. Thankfully, I am being collected by family when I do return back to Thailand. I'd hate the thought of a long bus or rail journey seeing how many accidents there are.

I would rather be on the above, thanks, cars crash more. whistling.gif

The result of 40 years of mismanagement by the Thai Railway service is culminating and will eventually result in mass casualties. Just as with Thai Airways, the PTT, TOT, CAT and so many others the appointed directors are morons and only rewarded for their incompetence. The Railway service was 40 years long only busy shaking out poor people and doing deal with big businesses renting their land. They have not modernized the trains or the tracks. It would be good to see when we see 30 or so railways presidents shackled in the dock just as children who have three pills in their pocket. It won't happen till their mia noi's are coming out just like in China and tell how much money they were actually spending from their meager salaries. And even than the elite will probably try to shelter them.

• Like 1

I had this vision: it's like they are still on kiddies bike with training wheels, but they want to go buy a Ducatti.... or however it is spelled. Perhaps they should have railway exhibit/museum of derailments? How big a building would they need? Perhaps Supercheap site is available?

You have obviously never been around railways long enough to understand that all steel track gets surface rust, What you see in the picture is new (rust coated) rail being laid on concrete ties and the guy with the yellow bar is setting the gauge. 20 year old track is rusted with a shiny surface where the wheels contact. No traffic, everything gets rusty.

What is not surprising is that the scene resembles a family gathering with kids and onlookers right at the work area with flip flops, there appear to be only 3 workers reasonably attired for this kind of work.. Perhaps that is the charming part of Thailand that will vanish when they enter the 20th century with their fast trains.

You do sound knowledgeable about railways but my comment was meant more as a tongue in cheek comment. I am aware that steel will rust but from the image(although a bit grainy) it appears there is excessive rust for "new" tracks. More than likely any new rail that is laid in Thailand uses track that was either produced some time ago or even taken from older rail systems. Searched close up images of rail and very few appear to be rusty as much as these do. In fact even when searching close up images of "rusty" railway tracks hard to find some that look as bad condition as those.

Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai rail service resumes

BANGKOK, 19 Oct 2013 (NNT) – Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai rail service has resumed after a train derailed on route to Non Sung district of Nakhon Ratchasima Province.

According to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), the nine cargo trucks of a derailed freight train blocking Korat-Nong Khai line have been cleared as the rail service has now resumed.

The SRT said the train was traveling back to Nakhon Ratchasima after it had delivered gravel to Nong Khai Province. Nine empty carriages ran off the track while reaching Non Sung station. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

The derailment was caused by technical errors as the rail track in that area was under maintenance. The railway workers took approximately 12 hours to clear the nine derailed carriages.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-10-19 footer_n.gif

Lets see here

"The derailment was caused by technical errors as the rail track in that area was under maintenance. The railway workers took approximately 12 hours to clear the nine derailed carriages."

It was under maintenance but it was technical errors that caused the derailment.

In 12 hours they fixed the technical errors finished the maintenance cleared the tracks of the derailment and every thing is OK now.

My vote says it was under maintenanced and will continue to be under maintained. The money needed to maintain it is going yo be spent on pie in the sky.

the maintenance or shall we say lack of it has been the fault of all the previous governments. This is not a unknown problem.

How ever the current government is refusing to deal with it knowing the amount of damage it has and will cause is a direct reflection on them. In stead of focusing on fixing it they are trying to introduce High speed rail where it is not financially viable, They plan to put the grandchildren and great grandchildren into debt to pay for a nice looking toy that will continually loose money.

The High Speed trains are the future but to expensive to put in place all at once to serve all of Thailand. First they must serve all of Thailand including the deep South. Then they can begin upgrading.

0002049E.gif0002049A.gif

• Like 1

Where to start??

If the power brokers had not wanted so much under the table for every other project, Thailand could have railways like China, unbelievably efficient, fast and comfortable. Sometimes communism works, when they want to do something it gets done, and now they are clearing the corruption efficiently, no long trials, every one knows they are guilty.

The only good thing about Thai rail is that they are slow trains, so people survive the crashes. It will take another ten years before they work out how to divy up the money for a rail system, just like the nvg buses. For any other country buying buses is a basic purchase, even it might include a free luch or two. Here the deal is intentially complex so that hiding the money is easy, in the leasing, buyback, maintenance figures etc.

You do sound knowledgeable about railways but my comment was meant more as a tongue in cheek comment. I am aware that steel will rust but from the image(although a bit grainy) it appears there is excessive rust for "new" tracks. More than likely any new rail that is laid in Thailand uses track that was either produced some time ago or even taken from older rail systems. Searched close up images of rail and very few appear to be rusty as much as these do. In fact even when searching close up images of "rusty" railway tracks hard to find some that look as bad condition as those.

Oh please get a grip. Do you really expect that replacement rails come straight from the foundry? The trackbed has been refurbished and new sleepers and rails set down. The rails have probably been in store for a few years, hence the rust. A week or so of use and they'll be nice and shiny. Replacement rails are often taken to site and left there until the replacement of the old rails becomes necessary. Rust is rarely a problem for railway tracks as it takes rust about one inch deep to corrode one seventh of an inch deep of the metal.

SilentReader, here are some pictures to try and let you see that what Bagwan and I have explained is the norm.

New track is delivered from a mill and within hours rust forms, it is quite normal.

Rail is not made of stainless steel or galvanized, there's no need. The SRT maintains stockpiles of short lengths of rail all around the country usually near stations or depots to repair or replace damaged track.

Nothing about the rust reflects on SRT. Maybe the age of the old goods wagons does.

post-9891-0-03973800-1382170973_thumb.jppost-9891-0-93044400-1382170978_thumb.jp

Rusty rails.

Oh please get a grip. Do you really expect that replacement rails come straight from the foundry? The trackbed has been refurbished and new sleepers and rails set down. The rails have probably been in store for a few years, hence the rust. A week or so of use and they'll be nice and shiny. Replacement rails are often taken to site and left there until the replacement of the old rails becomes necessary. Rust is rarely a problem for railway tracks as it takes rust about one inch deep to corrode one seventh of an inch deep of the metal.

Not an expert on it but if

"The trackbed has been refurbished and new sleepers and rails set down."

What would cause it to derail? Could it be inferior workmanship. What kind of a technical error could cause it to derail? Did some one switch the track when only part of the train had crossed the junction? Not that I could see a junction. Maybe when they laid the rails on the refurbished trackbed and new sleepers they technically thought they didn't have to be all spiked down.

The only reason I can see for this is a continuation of lack of maintenance to bring the existing rails up to safety standards.

I did not read the thread but I noticed one where Yingluck was going to use the 2.2 trillion baht loan for safety standards yet I have not heard a word about using it on existing rails just high speed ones.sad.png

E-mail from the Chinese PM to Yingluck:

"Dear madame. Because of the poor quality of rice you delievered, the barter-committee has decided, that you will only qualify for the economy-class of high speed trains. See attachment.wai2.gifwai2.gif "

attachicon.giftumblr_mg4chheOEA1r8vrhxo1_1280.jpg

Even without the possible doubts on the quality of Thai special rice I don't think Thailand qualifies for High-Speed rail. Neither can I understand the justification of such high-speed passenger fun.

More beneficial would be the speed up of track doubling / renewal, new trains, carriages and the like. Both Thai population and cargo traffic could benefit greatly.

• Like 2